Oil for 2003 Camry and general maintenance/repair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a METAL one of these. Last month I used a plastic one on my grandfather's Jeep, it stripped out. Got a metal one, came off like a piece of cake.

They sell them at O'Reilly Auto Parts for like $5

2aaexkk.jpg

To do this right, he needs to find which filter is currently on and then make sure that he puts the metal one on similar filter in the store to check the fit.

Unfortunately, that one might still twist the entire stuck on filter as will be applying the torque at the other end of the filter from where it is stuck.

At this stage a big Chanel Lock hooked on very close to the base would be the mechanic's choice.

Your plastic filter wrench is junk, might as well take a heaping blob of JB Weld and apply to the plastic filter wrench, press onto filter, wait overnight, and wrench away.
Even if the square drive hole rounds out you'll have a nice surface to apply your filter pliers on.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Vikas

Assuming E20 is really having these problems, he is lacking something. Is it healthy respect for mechanical things? Most of us would stop when things don't start going as expected. He keeps on going and making things worse.

Maybe he went to GHT university.

Maybe he is GHT.

50.gif

They both have the exact same hobby:

15.gif

They both post in the exact same style:

18.gif

And if one of their threads gets closed out, what do they both immediately do:

38.gif

That's just my theory.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Get a METAL one of these. Last month I used a plastic one on my grandfather's Jeep, it stripped out. Got a metal one, came off like a piece of cake.

2aaexkk.jpg

I'm still using the one I got 20 years ago.

I've also heard of this dude who used some kind've mind over matter stuff. He'll sit in front of his car and go "ommmmmmmmmm" in a low monotone voice,and the filter will unscrew itself. Not everyone has this gift though from what I've been told.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I've also heard of this dude who used some kind've mind over matter stuff. He'll sit in front of his car and go "ommmmmmmmmm" in a low monotone voice,and the filter will unscrew itself. Not everyone has this gift though from what I've been told.

Some folks only need a special kind of wristwatch.

are these harbor freight metal caps ok? caps wont' work now beacuse my oil filter is DEFORMED, no longer round, beacuse i pinched it with oil filter pliesr (pennzoil) which i bought on sale at meijer

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-end-cap-oil-filter-wrenches-94096.html

what about a locking oil filter wrench? it's like a vice grip like metal pliers/wrench thign? h freight page on it is currently down

this is what i used: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pennzoil-Profess...t-/111234167053

i'll include a picture of the oil filter, but my phone's a little messed up at the moment as well as the black rtv on the trans case, if that doesn't work, i'll re-use red rtv, or use jb weld, also steelstix apparently works well too, i'll try steelstix if the original formula doesn't work? or is steelstix not worth it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-inch-chain-wrench-97073.html is this any good, or get the one from ace, the irwin one, the same company that makes vice grip, tm, products, after which all locking curved pliers are called now because of the vice grip brand from irwin

I would just take it to Belle Tire and get the free inspection. At this point, I'm sure they value you as a customer and will help you out.

Originally Posted By: qwerty1234
I would just take it to Belle Tire and get the free inspection. At this point, I'm sure they value you as a customer and will help you out.

Actually, I would bring it to a nearby Lexus dealer.
His Camry is pretty much the same thing as an ES300, and Lexus has the best customer service on the planet. They will totally answer all his questions, and probably won't blink an eye at his requests to not start his car.

BC.

I got the oil filter unstuck last night. Got it off! I used husky groove joint pliers. I came up with the idea when I realized the angle I was grabbing the oil filter pliers by was the same as would be with a groove joint, and a groove joint has better grip. I took the front shield (bottom part) off so i coudl grab it on the side, the filter, but didn't help. Bought a 4.99 meijer strap filter wrench too, but that did't work.

I punctured it with a screwdriver and tried turning, only to rip the filter more. Then, grabbing the filter with the groove joint also at where I punctured it previously with a screwdriver, I was able to get enough grip to take it out. I used the largest ones in my set of 3 I bought just before the near year when working on the Taurus caliper. Took me till 3am to get it out, but I did it and woke up again at 7am to get to work, but it was a success. I'll be posting pictures soon.

issue is when i plug my phone into the computer, the usb isnt' detecdting it, so i have to email myself the photos manually and attaching them to my phone is a pita.

Here is my control arm bushing, Mine, not the junkyard one, they look similar, as I said.

549120.jpg

oil filter on the car
119ar82.jpg

oil filter off the car, next to groove joint and my flimy oil filter pliers
2ibm3xw.jpg

stabilizer link, you can see the nut is bent downwards, the hex part is rounded
24fadxh.jpg

and the trans case now with black rtv
5e5zz7.jpg

Control arm bushing looks fine to me, as long as it doesn't have play in it when you wiggle the wheel back and forth, and up and down with a pry bar underneath it.

but you see the slight tears on the bushign? I thought those were bad, the junkyard camry also had those slight tears on the bushing.

also, i hand tightened the new wix filter and put a layer of oil on the gasket, but what if I didn't hand tighten it enough (had this in the past where oil was dripping past the filter ecause filter wasn't on tight enough, and those threads on the oil filter where it goes to the engine, are good and it didnt' go bad, so i'm in luck, they seem really sturyd and those seem hard to strip.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
issue is when i plug my phone into the computer, the usb isnt' detecdting it

You probably just need a Data Sync cable. It's a special kind of USB cable meant specifically for connecting things like phones to a computer. Any computer shop will have them.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

2aaexkk.jpg

Hey, this is the oil filter cap wrench for my E430 cartridge oil filter housing, did you steal it from my garage ?

Kidding !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back