Oil for 2001 Saturn SL with oil consumtion issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mazda3LA
Its for the 2001 Saturn that i'm thinking of purchasing

Doh! right sorry. If its a oil burner like the other Saturns being discussed on BITOG, the T6 would be a good choice. Check for oil leaks, if so that may require a HM oil. Maxlife is fine, start with the 10w30, if that doesnt work then try the 10w40.

I had a 98' Saturn with similar consumption. I tended to use synthetic as I was doing a lot of interstate driving at the time for the most part. I used GC, Mobil 1 HM 10W-30/40 and even 0W-40. Depending on what you want to put into it, a thicker synthetic might actually reduce consumption here. But of course if you're adding a quart every 3K or 4K, then extend the OCI, which is pretty much what I did.

Don't forget to change the transmission oil and spin-on filter and use the appropriate conventional Dex...

I meant Dexron III (IIRC), I wouldn't ever advocate putting DexCool in your transaxle...
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
I meant Dexron III (IIRC), I wouldn't ever advocate putting DexCool in your transaxle...
smile.gif

I stopped putting coolant in my oil years ago when I found out it wasn't safe. :p

Ecotec... Ugh... The thought of that motor in our now gone Pontiac makes me cringe. You can keep them running, but they are quirky. Use anything but OEM spark plugs and kiss your firing module goodbye... Likes to eat oil, likes to varnish coat the inside... likes to make annoying ticking noises at startup, but it did keep running a long time.

Not to be a weenie, but I really am glad we have Ford instead now... for ME, the engines have been much less quirky.

Well I made the purchase. Drove the car from Los Angeles this weekend. So far the car runs great.

My question now is I have 19 quarts of Kendall syn blend 5w20 and no car to put the oil in. Do you guys think it will be ok to add this oil to the saturn even though it asks for 5w30. At the moment I have PYB 5w30 with purolator filter.

The SL's like to crack their heads too. We had all of the classic Saturn issues with drinking oil until the cat died, snapped shifter cable on the 5-speed, radiator replaced and finally the head at 170K.

Last US car I fool with. My 85 Civic has been unbelievable compaired to that thing. It is in the garage now to be cleaned up and sold with full disclosure very soon.

I have to say the AC always worked well and we saw as high as 43 mpg on the highway.

All cars have their issues. Some just have issues that will occur no matter what preventive measures you take... that's the difference in reliability IMO.

I'm looking at buying a 2001 saturn SL 5sp for $1200. The current owner says it burns 1qt every 1000 miles. The check engine light is on and said he had it checked out at AAP and it was general emission problem. At 148,000 miles do you think the CAT might be done for with burning that much oil?

1qt in 3K is good. There is nothing wrong with that car, go for it if it's been taken care of.

I'm still trying to get myself back in the market for another S-series. I just can't stay away from them.

I had a brand new Honda Fit, no oil use on the factory fill, none on 2 break-in dino runs.

On the fourth fill I used Pennzoil Platinum SM 5-20, and no oil use.

On the fifth fill I used Pennzoil ULTRA SM 5-20, and over the course of the OCI it used about half a liter of oil for 5000km of driving.

Right now, I am using QSUD 5W20 SN, and NO oil use, not even a hair.

My advice? Find a 10W30 full synthetic at Walmart on sale in the jugs and experiment to find the oil that doesn't get consumed. Quaker State Ultimate Durability can be had for approx 24 dollars for 4.73 litres on sale.

Cars do seem to have an oil preference, and it may take time to find a good match.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Anyone? Don't want to have to start a new thread.

Take it too a garage and have it checked by a real computer, don't rely on AAP/AZ junk. My Contour actually has a specific code for an under-performing catalytic converter.

Saturns have a lot of little nick-knacks that need TLC..

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
1qt in 3K is good. There is nothing wrong with that car, go for it if it's been taken care of.

I'm still trying to get myself back in the market for another S-series. I just can't stay away from them.

Thinking of one myself, but definitely has to be a 5-sp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back