Oil Flow at Rockers -- GM-Cad 4.1L V-8

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past weekend, I spent a couple hours "reviving" the Number 3 vehicle in the family stable. It's a 1987 Cadillac Seville which has only 57,xxx miles on the odo. It has been in the family since almost new. About a year ago, my mother-in-law got a wild hair, and bought herself a new BMW 3-series. She had planned to trade the old Caddy, but not too surprisingly, despite its outstanding condition (it has spent the vast bulk of its life in a garage), the trade value was so low, she just gave it to my son instead. Who is still dragging his feet on getting his DL, so when the battery died, into the garage it went, where it has sat for the last year.

On Sunday, I installed a new battery, checked the electric system (seems fine...), sucked out all the old oil (I think it was the GC I installed 18 months ago), put on a new filter (it was still wearing the same M1-206 I had installed).

While warming it up for the oil change, I opened the oil filler out of curiosity, and shined a light inside. What surprised me was the oil flow from that little opening on the other side of where the pushrod pushes on the rocker. In this engine, the hole is maybe a tad larger than a millimeter in diameter. I had always envisioned oil spraying out of that opening, fountain style. What I saw surprised me. The oil was sort of dribbling or trickling from the opening, nothing more. It had no "squirt factor" at all, it just dribbled down the top surface of the rocker arm. Yes, it had warmed some at that point (engine running for about 15 min at that point).

Any thoughts on this? Am I worried about nothing? Is my mental vision of oil showering all over the top of the cylinder head just a delusional fantasy? I thought there'd be more oil flowing.

Oh, just for grins, here's a UOA I did on this same engine about two years ago when the Mother-in-law was still driving it. Click here to see 11/04 UOA.

I've never owned an OHV car that sent much volume to the rocker area. I've even had a couple of cars that would idle with the valve covers off and never made a mess, which kind of blew my belief that there was a lot of oil activity under there These were all OHV engines. I've never had the valve covers off any of my OHC engines, but it's my belief that OHC engines get more oil to the top to protect the cam lobes. Some even have hollow cams with holes in the cam lobes, and that setup will sling oil all over the garage. I once left the oil fill cap off my 2000 Sentra and started it up....and oil went everywhere. Haven't made that mistake again, but it highlighted the differences you can expect between OHV and OHC engines.

Sounds just about right. If you are seeing oil come out you are fine. I have seen engines that would squirt oil on the fender wells while you were adjusting them but I'm betting they did not have stock oil pumps and had much higher pressure at idle.

had the rocker cover off a friend's mid 70s Buick regal. one of the rocker arms was dangling down, the purshrod bent like a banana. amazingly the car still ran super smooth and had some nuts for a 70s boat. anywho, oil did squirt out of the rocker arms a couple inches. more so when the engine was revved. but as long as there's a steady strem of oil flow I think you're fine.

I was similarly surprized at the low flow of oil on my GM 3.5L V6. This is the first vehicle that I have owned that does not drench you in oil if the valve cover cap is off.

Hah. Rev the engine and the oil will squirt right out of those rockers! When I was a mischievous teenager, one of my favorite pranks was to invite some unsuspecting subject over to "help me adjust the valves." I would tell him to "look into to those little holes and tell me if any oil comes out." Soon as they were lined perfectly, I'd give the throttle a good blip.
lol.gif

If you want to play Dr. BITOG, get some inexpensive 5w20 for a flush, and see how much oil comes out with the 5w20 in it.

Guys, thanks for the feedback. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going crazy (and wasn't about to blow up that engine).

427:

Dude, you are just pure eeeeeeeeeeeevil!!! I'm sure that there's an eternal vat of boiling oil waiting for you somehwere.
tongue.gif

Hmmmmmmm, ya know, come to think of it, I may just have to look a little closer at how those valve covers come off of a 4.1L . . .
wink.gif
grin.gif
cheers.gif

427:

Not to worry, my safety officer habits are just too deeply ingrained to actually do anything too foolish, at least not deliberately... That image was just too colorful to leave alone. Won't be doing anything that would give us cause to merge this with the "NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCES" thread.
wink.gif

EDIT: Clyde, thanks for the input. I do realize where it comes from, I had just thought that there'd be more of it. I'll be home again this weekend, and won't be alone this time, so I'm going to observe again, this time with someone blipping the gas. And no, on this engine, none of the oil openings are lined up squarely with the filler opening. . .

Holy cow, Clyde posted and didn't recommend Maxlife 10W-40! Just kidding with you man.

ekpolk, if that engine is clean inside I wouldn't worry about the lack of squirt factor. That's probably just the way that engine is. But it would be neat if you try a thinner or hotter oil and post the results.

The engine is pretty clean for its age, I think. It's got a pretty good, mid-colored (not light, not really dark) coating of varnish set up, but no indications at all of sludge build up. A predictable result after many years of being fed cheap bulk dealer dino. As the car is soon to be back in limited service (son driving it to school, so wife doesn't have to pick him up after football practice every day), I'm planning to ARX it to see what happens. We'll see how it goes.
cheers.gif

ekpolk,
try that with a Chev. SB w HP HO oil pump, valve covers off and rev. engine
wear eye protection and use a cheap oil
no use spraying GC all over the garage

does ARX work on large garage floor oil stains?
freak2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back