Oil filter size question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read through the nearby thread on oil filter sizes, but I had a question of my own. The stock filter for my 1977 MG Midget is considered unavailable, because it used a 5/8" pipe nipple originally. Many folks have converted the pipe nipple to 3/4" so more commonly available filters can be used. I have no idea what dimensions the original filter were.

When I first got my car, it had already been converted. At the time, I found a site that cross referenced older parts with more modern equivalents, and the wisdom was that it can use the same filter as a Saturn 1.9 engine (any of the 1990s Saturns). So I've usually used a Bosch 3330 since that what's called out for a Saturn. I was suprised that Autozone now calls out a filter for the MG, with the note that the adapter is needed, but it calls out a Bosch 3422, which is much longer than the 3330 (4.7 inches vs. 3.3 inches). Any idea why it would call for such a huge filter?

It seems to me if it's mounted sideways (i.e., impossible to pre-fill), then the huge one means it will take longer to fill after an oil change. I give it an oil change once a year, and it doesn't see more than 1000 miles a year. Am I correct that there's probably no benefit to using the big filter?

I don't know if there is more to it than cost, but filters have been getting smaller ever since I can remember. Likely the larger filter is at least closer to the original 77 filter. There is very little evidence that the quality of filter is very important in modern engines. I would think that if you are using a modern oil, it would make little difference what you used for a filter. With improved media, the smaller filter may be better than what was available in 1977.

Is that engine the 1500cc? If so, I use the Purolator PL10241
a VERY common filter, and small. I like a small filter on this engine because the car is not used on a Daily basis, so the oil drains down. A small filter will fill more quickly than a large filter.
You will need the adapter with this filter, but it sounds like you already have it.

Originally Posted By: badnews
pre filling a filter is just anal

JMO

Yup. But doesn't that describe most of us on this site??

BTW, I pre-fill my horizontal filters when I remember.

Originally Posted By: Dave Sherman

It seems to me if it's mounted sideways (i.e., impossible to pre-fill), then the huge one means it will take longer to fill after an oil change.

I've used small and large filters on the same car that has a horizontal oil filter orientation, and I see no difference in time (~3 seconds) it takes to get oil pressure with a bone dry filter. Splittin' hairs.

Originally Posted By: gizzsdad
Originally Posted By: badnews
pre filling a filter is just anal

JMO

Yup. But doesn't that describe most of us on this site??

BTW, I pre-fill my horizontal filters when I remember.

LOL you do have a point

on modern fuel injected engines you can have the throttle WOT(wide open throttle) while starting the engine and the injectors won't pulse. thats what i do every oil change.

Yes, but I wouldn't leave it there. It's when you depress the pedal BEFORE cranking. The spark will still be triggered. You get some noob going in and cranking it THEN flooring it, the result is not as intended.

This has happened.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back