Oil extraction tool, 2023 version?

I have found it is so fast to stab the tube, pump it 10 times and let it extract. After it sucks a little air, I fish around with the tube to get a more complete extract. Pull out the tube and expel into the recycle container. No mess, no jack, stands, drain pan, tools, very fast. I'm sold.
If I were doing a regular drain, I would let it drain at least as long as I extract.

I do pull the drain plug once in awhile if I am swapping the filter. But even then I use the extractor due to less mess, especially spills.
Jusy my experience and 2 cents.
Maybe on a tiny sump? My euro cars that run nearly 2 gallons of HDEO take way too long, even when hot. Certainly more than ten pumps!

I just resurrected my TopSider MVP. The pump is delicate but it works like a charm with Toyotas. Tried it on a Subaru, oil pan was baffled.

It was just a little EV joke... All good.
Poke underneath a Tesla with its aero covers off and you might be surprised at what you find.You’d think you never have to deal with oil changes and would never find something like an oil filter attached to anything underneath. You’d be wrong because Teslas (at least the Model 3 and Y) do have oil filters that need changing.

1683005599432.jpeg

Maybe on a tiny sump? My euro cars that run nearly 2 gallons of HDEO take way too long, even when hot. Certainly more than ten pumps!
Curious, how long?
The MityVac holds 8 quarts, I believe. I would probably empty it once with a large sump like yours, so there's that.
I pull over 6 quarts on the GS and Tundra with no problem and it is pretty quick. Oil does need to be hot, of course.
Way faster and cleaner than a traditional drain.

So with these long life oil filters being sold these days, maybe it's time to reconsider an oil extraction tool. I mean if you're not changing the filter, why even get under the car?

Is there a BITOG consensus about what's the best bang for the buck oil extractor in 2023? And what percentage of the oil should I expect to get out? Clearly the oil in the filter won't be coming out, but how much of the sump oil should one expect to get out?
What happens if the oil filter is under the car?

And there's nothing new or innovative for the oil extractor world.

I have found it is so fast to stab the tube, pump it 10 times and let it extract. After it sucks a little air, I fish around with the tube to get a more complete extract. Pull out the tube and expel into the recycle container. No mess, no jack, stands, drain pan, tools, very fast. I'm sold.
If I were doing a regular drain, I would let it drain at least as long as I extract.

I do pull the drain plug once in awhile if I am swapping the filter. But even then I use the extractor due to less mess, especially spills.
Jusy my experience and 2 cents.
This^^^^^^^^^. I use a big Pela hand pump extractor for changes between Dealer changes. 6 quart capacity.

What happens if the oil filter is under the car?

And there's nothing new or innovative for the oil extractor world.

Then every 15 or 20K you get under the car to change the filter.

Not a lot of innovation in the extractor world, just the standard good/ better/ best manufacturers.

I think it's highly variable from one application to the next, just depending on the design and layout of the sump. I've seen videos where, with certain vehicles, the extraction method leaves a quart or more oil in the sump.
For an example, Mercedes dipstick tube is designed for extraction. The bottom sits right on the bottom of the oil pan. If you pull out the dipstick there is no oil on it. You have to take it out and put it back in to get oil reading. Dipstick removed allows time for the oil to enter the tube. MB prefers extraction for several reasons. Plastic panels have to be removed and many models, draining the oil gets it all over suspension parts.
If one doesn't know about this, the first time you pull out the dipstick on your new MB will scare the hell out of you. Ask me how I know.

Tried one of these but it doesn't hold enough oil for a MB and it's easy to collapse the can pumping it.
I have something similar to this:

Back when my VW's had topside access to the oil filter (except the Passat 2.0T FSI, used a Fumoto Valve w/ Nipple to drain into the container, as it had the oil filter under the car)

For an example, Mercedes dipstick tube is designed for extraction. The bottom sits right on the bottom of the oil pan. If you pull out the dipstick there is no oil on it. You have to take it out and put it back in to get oil reading. Dipstick removed allows time for the oil to enter the tube. MB prefers extraction for several reasons. Plastic panels have to be removed and many models, draining the oil gets it all over suspension parts.
If one doesn't know about this, the first time you pull out the dipstick on your new MB will scare the hell out of you. Ask me how I know.
Newer Toyotas have an easily removeable access panel that gives you easy access to the oil drain plug and oil filter.

1683050187144.jpg

Is an oil filter that expensive that you would wait a few OCI's to change the filter?

What's the point of throwing away partially used products?

The manufacturer in my case doenst recommend a 1-1 FCI/OCI.

The filter manufacturers rate the filters to a mileage standard so they dont believe it's necessary.

Cutting them open and inspecting them at 20K reveals almost nothing if anything in them (in my use cases) suggesting they could be used for even longer than 20K.

Well, not to be disrespectful or start a war that has not ended in forever and ever on the German auto forums, Mercedes and BMW have proven that false.
I agree completely. I use this extractor that I got from WalMart, and it does an excellent job. I think it cost me $35.00 about 7 years ago.
I recently did a comparison on my Mercedes in which I measured the exact amount of oil that was removed when using the pan drain, compared to the amount of oil removed using this extractor.
Both amounts were exactly the same. I think newer cars are designed so the oil can be changed from the topside, which maximises the profits for the dealerships.

20200224_090246.jpg

Curious, how long?
The MityVac holds 8 quarts, I believe. I would probably empty it once with a large sump like yours, so there's that.
I pull over 6 quarts on the GS and Tundra with no problem and it is pretty quick. Oil does need to be hot, of course.
Way faster and cleaner than a traditional drain.
Mine was a topsider. Had to be 30-45 minutes with hot oil, lots of pumping, no vacuum leaks.

I got some other small one that Inlike a lot but have never used it for oil changes. Just atf and psf.

Newer Toyotas have an easily removeable access panel that gives you easy access to the oil drain plug and oil filter.

View attachment 153808
Another access panel that requires another tool and another five minutes.

Maybe if I was retired or unemployed I wouldn’t care. In my case I enjoy the DIY but want to get in an do my thing. Not more items with more screws to finagle with.

Back