Oil Experiments on 2020 6.7 PSD w Lab Reports

I promised last year to run several different oil brands, viscosities and dino vs full vs blend. I got super busy w the crazy year. I did follow through but neglected to post. So here it is!!!

Same truck used with same drivers assigned from my fleet. Oil filter was Fram orange can PH10890 changed with each oil change. Each oil change was done only after the OLM reach zero and as quicky after it reached zero as possible. I don't stop a truck mid-shift to change the oil and I never never change early. I always let it hit 0% and then the end of that shift is sent to service department of an oil change. So each change is past the 0% OLM mark between 100-600 miles over.

All of my fleet vehs have Fumoto oil change valves, all oil changes are done while super hot between shifts and oil is allowed to run out until the flow turns into a steady drip. We do this as fast as possible so we never get all of the oil out just until it slows to a steady drip. Oil filters are never pre-filled. Just put on dry with some old oil on the new gasket.

New trucks are never short changed--factory fill always run to past 0% OLM

Air filter was within intervals per restriction gauge and was not change during any of these samples. Air Filter was OEM. Fuel filters changed per Ford intervals.

Bottom line is the OLM is extremely conservative. Fancy, boutique oils and premium filters are a huge wast of money. Short change the oil is of no benefit. Dino F1 Ford approved oil is equally as good as full syn--no benefit for the extra money. Viscosity makes no difference in Florida and hot environments. Buy whatever is cheapest and meets specs. Use cheap filters.

Attachments

• 9-201027.pdf
    69.6 KB · Views: 207
  • 9-200918.pdf
    68.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 9-200811.pdf
    68.6 KB · Views: 126
No 10w30 in your experiment? Just out of pure curiosity. Thanks for posting.

Looks great because of you I just bought napa pro select filters and stopped using M1 and KN. The 2015 f350 that is going into service will get 12k oil changes or about once a month. Ram is already at 15k and Chevy is a 2021 that has 105k miles on it and about to do 10 to 15k changes on that bad boy as well. What is your interval for diffs and Trans? I do everything every 50k.

No 10w30 in your experiment? Just out of pure curiosity. Thanks for posting.

Glad you asked!!! Yes. The last one I used was Motorcraft 10W30 and sent the sample off. Blackstone said they never got it. The USPS lost it.

I do have a Motorcraft 10W30 from a 2021 F650 with a PSD and Fram PH10890 filter. See attached.

I am hoping this experiment makes for an interesting thread.

Attachments

• 10-210730 (1) (3).pdf
    20 KB · Views: 93
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reports. Do you have any ideas on hours of use per oil change

My ram is 15k or so with about 500hours. About 40% is idealing so drivers are comparable when cold or hot.

Thanks for the reports. Do you have any ideas on hours of use per oil change
Yes, We log miles and hours. I will look them up tomorrow when I'm at the office if I have time. Seems like from memory its 300-350 change intervals. (again memory will check tomorrow)

We use the OLM and change as soon as practical after it hits zero.

I have a fleet deal w Ford and get 10,000hrs or 250,000 miles engine and drive train warranty w/ zero deductible / 2 years bumper to bumper unlimited miles warranty.

As costs and inflation take hold in a quest to increase profits I have been operating w a slightly smaller fleet and running the trucks sometimes 24/7 but at least 18-20 hrs per day. Also I have increased the number of miles on the trucks before selling them. Currently I am doing a 3 year rotation and get between 500-650,000 miles before I sell them.

The 6.7 PSD gets better and better every year and is a TRUE million mile engine. The Ford transmission is absolutely bulletproof--both the 6 speed which is still in the 650s and the 10 speed in all other Super Duties. If anyone ever takes one apart and looks at the internals compared to the Allison you will see Ford is way above and ahead of Allison w their transmissions.

Cummins motors are disposable jokes compared to the 6.7 PSD. Even Cummins tells you this on their web page!!! I know that will start a flame war but when Cummins themselves publishes the ISB is a light duty motor everyone should listen.. I stupidly bought (14) Ram 4500s think it was in 2009 w the 6.7 and they were the worst trucks I've ever owned--and I had a heavy wrecker International with the MaxForce 15 so thats some pretty stiff competition for the title of worst. Not a single one of the Rams lasted more than 18 months in my fleet and most were gone in 12 months or less.

I bought a brand new 2020 Silverado 6500 today. Very out of character for me. The GM med-duties are a distant second to the Ford med duty products. I was in Vegas a couple weeks ago at the tow show and a dealer that has been begging for my business made me an offer I could not refuse to try one of their new Silverado med duty's out....so we will see how it goes. The specs are weak compared to the F650. I havent had any GMs in my tow fleet since when the Kodiacs first came out. When it gets here I will do some oil sampling and see how it compares.

Last edited:
Looks great because of you I just bought napa pro select filters and stopped using M1 and KN. The 2015 f350 that is going into service will get 12k oil changes or about once a month. Ram is already at 15k and Chevy is a 2021 that has 105k miles on it and about to do 10 to 15k changes on that bad boy as well. What is your interval for diffs and Trans? I do everything every 50k.

Congrats on saving money. Napa filters are all Wix which is top notch. I will look up the diffs and trans tomorrow at the office. I forgot. I do believe the new Ford 10 speeds are lifetime fluid. Need to verify that but they dont have tranny dipsticks like the 6 speeds do. I wish Ford would put the new 10 speeds in the F650 / 750. Not sure the reasons for that.....anyone know??

One thing I do is always use OEM fuel filters, I truly think cheap oil filters are fine. W injectors working at insane pressure and hi pressure pumps costing a mortgage payment I do stick w OEM fuel filters. Perhaps a bit of a hypocrite but its been working for me. Same with trans filters. I use bulk trans fluid but the filters are always OEM--only bc if tranny has to be pulled apart under warranty its just easier to have an OEM filter inside when the dealer gets involved. I am very aware of thre Moss-Mag warranty act and end of the day know they cant deny a warranty over aftermarket filters but trans filters get changed so very infrequently any savings === "juice is not worth the squeeze".

I have one of each in my fleet.
2021 silverado 3500 with dmax 105k miles
2019 ram 3500 with a Cummins 75k miles
(Lost a CP4 pump at 14k miles)
2015 Ford f350 with a power stroke. 54k miles ( just added to fleet)

2019 kenworth t680 with a paccar.

All my trucks going to 10k to 15k changes.
Fuel filter gets done every 15k with OEM filters.
Trans, front diff, rear diff, transfer case get 50k changes.
New dmax 10 speed trans does not have a dipstick as well but we are changing the fluid every 50k miles these truck work way too hard not.to change the fluid.
Paccar gets 20k to 25k changes with oem filters.

Last edited:
Good luck with the silverado, my dmax had some check engine light issues for injector 4 and 7 that started at 8k miles and finally stopped around 80k miles lol I went to dealer a few times but it was just stored codes so they could not do anything. I just gave up as there was no drivability issues. Dmax is a nice engine will see how they hold up in my hotshot fleet.

Back