Oil emergency!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Oh, and you guys might get a chuckle out of this:

She told the BMW guy that I had asked them to put Mobil 1 0w40 in there and he told her DO NOT PUT THAT IN THE ENGINE! It will blow up!!!! LMAO!!!!!

grin.gif

It'll destroy the cams anyway...
13.gif

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
So what does the car take? There is a big difference between 5w30 and 10w60

5w30, 0w40 and 10w60 are the "acceptable" grades. Oils with an HTHS of 3.5+.

Engines produced 03/00 and earlier require the 10w60. Engines produced after 03/00 can take 5w30. But the 10w60 is acceptable. M1 0w40 meets the same specs as the BMW 5w30, so it is an acceptable choice as well.

Trust me after many years working for a dealer they will do and say anything not to do a job twice. The service director or writer has no clue what non spec oil can do to an engine. I to would bite the bullet and put the M1 in.

The only one that would know what truely can happen would be a Euro car tech and im pretty sure your dealer doesnt have one sitting in the break room

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Trust me after many years working for a dealer they will do and say anything not to do a job twice.

Well, if the oil was sent from BMW, then it could not have been 0w-20. BMW dealers/service departments just don't use that grade for anything.

But yeah, I agree with your statement in general. They'll tell you what you want to hear to get you out of their hair.

Pull a sample, and send it in, mainly just to find out the viscosity. Toromont/CAT kits are $20 - provides cheap confirmation!

Based on my experience I would change the oil myself for the peace of mind.

Are we really to believe that 10w-60 and 5w-30 are both ok for the same engine? Man, that alone seems to prove you are ok with almost anything.

No stealership for me. This is only one reason.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Based on my experience I would change the oil myself for the peace of mind.

Are we really to believe that 10w-60 and 5w-30 are both ok for the same engine? Man, that alone seems to prove you are ok with almost anything.

No stealership for me. This is only one reason.

The 10w60 shears quickly to a 50. It was developed specifically for the "M" engines.

However, engines after 03/00 got revised pistons and rings that meant that they didn't require the "special" oil. They could use the "regular" 5w30 synthetic that BMW spec's for their other engines.

However the 10w60 was still an acceptable grade, it simply wasn't necessary.

I may change the oil with M1 0w40 when I get home just for peace of mind.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Trust me after many years working for a dealer they will do and say anything not to do a job twice.

Well, if the oil was sent from BMW, then it could not have been 0w-20. BMW dealers/service departments just don't use that grade for anything.

But yeah, I agree with your statement in general. They'll tell you what you want to hear to get you out of their hair.

I guess the wording is what bothers me. " she dug up the reciept" Doesnt state I saw the reciept or I SAW the bottles to confirm all of this. Im a better be safe then sorry kinda person. Things like this is why I open my own place and get out of the dealership. After awhile we all get tired of being jerked around.

I will say, I did in fact go to the dealership and DID see the receipt from BMW stating that they sent 5w30. 7L of it. And an insanely expensive ($35.00
crazy2.gif
) filter.

UOA is still cheaper than a full oil change.

BMW syn is good stuff, if it's in there, I'd keep it. Idea - ask to see the empty oil bottles! They should stil have them, and what else would they have out that oil in?

As I said, I can't imagine a dealership would put 0W-20 in one of these - it's 95% likely it's the correct oil.

And an insanely expensive ($35.00
crazy2.gif
) filter.

That's stealer for ya. This filter costs $6-7 online.

I may change the oil with M1 0w40 when I get home just for peace of mind.

01.gif
01.gif
01.gif
01.gif
01.gif

A short, quick oil change with a light oil is desired by some when buying a new car. The clean thin oil will get all the old oil out of the system, perhaps start cleaning any deposits or varnish.

Throw that M1 0w40 in, and stick with that and you'll be GOOD TO GO!!!!!

Don't worry; it's no big deal. I wouldn't worry too much about it and would simply replace the oil with a preferred viscosity. That's because:

(1) Fresh 5W-20 has HTHS viscosity around 2.6 cP, which is still significantly higher than a used 5W-30 (HTHS viscosity around 2.1 cP).

(2) As you said, you didn't warm up the engine much anyway for the oil to reach very high temperatures.

(3) Oil-film breakdown due to too little viscosity only happens during high load (high acceleration [especially from a full stop], very high speeds, or uphill driving) and/or engine lugging (driving at low speeds in high gear).

(4) While being heavily biased and making quite a few false statements, we could give Dr. Haas some credit that most gasoline-engine (= low-torque-at-low-RPM) cars could go without significant damage at most driving conditions with the smallest SAE-J300-allowed HTHS viscosity (2.6 cP).

(5) Even if you had oil-film breakdown, antiwear/extreme-pressure/friction-modifier additives would provide some degree of protection.

(6) Last but not least, if you want to have the oil-change job done right, do it yourself.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

Are we really to believe that 10w-60 and 5w-30 are both ok for the same engine?
Read OIL 101
happy2.gif
0W-20 is too thick.

I will say, I did in fact go to the dealership and DID see the receipt from BMW stating that they sent 5w30. 7L of it. And an insanely expensive ($35.00
crazy2.gif
) filter.

I gotcha, well be all know of thick 30wt oil. I'd just leave it in and save that 0-40 for the next go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back