Oil emergency!

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
Just found out that they put 0w20 in my S62!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH

I guess that is what the BMW dealer sent them???????

I'm taking it up now to have Mobil 1 0w40 put in it. I bought two cases of it.

I haven't got the oil temp up at all since I got the car (thank God!!) so I'm hoping no damage occurred.

Would have been Castrol Edge 0w20.

33.gif
Are you serious? Was this a BMW dealer??? Why would they even stock 0w-20???

If you haven't had the engine up to temp, let alone beat on, then I would not classify this as an emergency...

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Just found out that they put 0w20 in my S62!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH

Hahahahha!

Dr. Haas would be proud!
smile.gif

Uuummm.....are you SURE they put 0W-20 into your car?

In Canada, dealers are usually pretty darn careful about what is put in cars....they go by what is on the oil cap. Even a basic lube-tech knows that Euro cars don't take 0W-20.....

5w-30 or 10W-30, I could see - but not 0W-20.....

You're fine, don't worry about it, cool 0W-20 is much thicker than hot 0W-40...

Except for an occasional recall, this is exactly why in 45 years of vehicle ownership, no dealer has ever touched my vehicles... Was given free changes for my '07 MGM, told them to stick it...

Sincerely doubt any damage would occur. Wouldn't you just see ever so slightly increased wear for those few miles?

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
If you haven't had the engine up to temp, let alone beat on, then I would not classify this as an emergency...

Here it is...
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

Here it is...
lol.gif

This is an OILCON level 3 event, and could have easily spiraled to level 2 if OVERKILL hadn't found out.

We are OK! The BMW dealer tech was having a "moment" I guess, but I caused quite the stir at the Chrysler dealer I bought the car from, who was freaking out thinking that they had put the wrong oil in the car.

The lady from service I deal with called BMW again and got the Manager. He said the car spec's either the full-syn 5w30 or TWS 10w60 and that they had sent her the 5w30. The guy she had spoken to originally was wrong.

She dug up her receipt from BMW to confirm, and this was in fact the case. The car has the BMW full-syn 5w30 in it, which is what it is spec'd for since it has a manufacturing date of 01/2001. He had told her that he was sending her 0w20, but whoever actually pulled the oil and sent it to her sent her the right oil instead.

I did however pick up 12L of M1 0w40 while I was up there.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
I'd still be worried...

Get that 0w-40 in there pronto!

The BMW 5w-30 oil has a viscosity of around 12 cSt at 100C. M1 0w-40 - 13.5 cSt. Very little difference, IMO. Both oils have HT/HS of at least 3.5 cP, which is what BMW requires. I'd probably just keep that 5w-30 in the engine and change to something else at the next oil change.

No, I'd be worried that they actually didn't get the BMW oil in there. I know the BMW 5w-30 is a fine ACEA A3 rated oil.

Last edited:
Oh, and you guys might get a chuckle out of this:

She told the BMW guy that I had asked them to put Mobil 1 0w40 in there and he told her DO NOT PUT THAT IN THE ENGINE! It will blow up!!!! LMAO!!!!!

grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back