Oil Dilution prone Honda 1.5L Earth dreams - Would 0W16 be a better choice over specced 0W20?

No, 0W16 wouldn't help. It would only make things worse.

Here is what actually does help in that particular engine: 91/93 grade fuel and 0W40/5W40 oil in the crankcase.

More info is available on Civic/Accord/CR-V forums for that 1.5T engine. But in short - fill up with higher octane, and change to "Euro" rated oil. With that combo results are instant and last full recommended OCI, or longer in case of few folks who prefer extended OCIs. And higher octane does result in ECU allowing for a few extra ponies, as well as slightly better MPG when those ponies aren't pushed.

The only times when fuel dilution still shows it's ugly rear end - is when vehicle is short tripped in cold weather.

Last edited:
Also, take the car on a 30+miles trip on the highway on a weekly basis. This will get the driveline up to full operating temps which will burn off any fuel in the crankcase.

No, 0W16 wouldn't help. It would only make things worse.

Here is what actually does help in that particular engine: 91/93 grade fuel and 0W40/5W40 oil in the crankcase.

More info is available on Civic/Accord/CR-V forums for that 1.5T engine. But in short - fill up with higher octane, and change to "Euro" rated oil. With that combo results are instant and last full recommended OCI, or longer in case of few folks who prefer extended OCIs. And higher octane does result in ECU allowing for a few extra ponies, as well as slightly better MPG when those ponies aren't pushed.

The only times when fuel dilution still shows it's ugly rear end - is when vehicle is short tripped in cold weather.

The largest CRV forum by far is CRVownersclub.com. But don’t bother researching fuel dilution there: the topic is banned, new threads will be closed and members can be banned. You see, the problem has been “solved” and there’s no point revisiting the issue.

Is this post because you watched that semi recent scotty kilmer video about a customer using 0w-16 in a newer fuel diluting honda instead of the 0w-20.

Scotty Kilmer has said in a couple videos that using 0W16 would help with the OD problem that lots of Honda engines deal with. Any evidence for this being true?

I have an 18 Honda CRV 1.5L that is prone to such problems.
He's off his rocker (again).

1. If an engine has a fuel dilution problem, how is oil grade going to impact that? How is the oil going to reduce the rate of ingress, which depends on parameters that have nothing to do with the oil?

2. If the result of fuel dilution of the engine oil is that the oil is thinned, and the risk with that is that the oil will become too thin and you will get excessive wear or may toss a rod due to spinning a bearing, why would starting out with an even thinner oil be the correct course of action? It wouldn't be, that would be the complete opposite direction you'd want to be headed, which would be starting with a heavier oil so that you have more buffer against the viscosity reduction.

If the result of fuel dilution of the engine oil is that the oil is thinned, and the risk with that is that the oil will become too thin and you will get excessive wear or may toss a rod due to spinning a bearing, why would starting out with an even thinner oil be the correct course of action? It wouldn't be, that would be the complete opposite direction you'd want to be headed, which would be starting with a heavier oil so that you have more buffer against the viscosity reduction.
Perfect, right here ☝️

He's off his rocker (again).

1. If an engine has a fuel dilution problem, how is oil grade going to impact that? How is the oil going to reduce the rate of ingress, which depends on parameters that have nothing to do with the oil?

2. If the result of fuel dilution of the engine oil is that the oil is thinned, and the risk with that is that the oil will become too thin and you will get excessive wear or may toss a rod due to spinning a bearing, why would starting out with an even thinner oil be the correct course of action? It wouldn't be, that would be the complete opposite direction you'd want to be headed, which would be starting with a heavier oil so that you have more buffer against the viscosity reduction.
We rarely agree lol but this is spot on!

Oh, and don't use M1 oil as it will make your issue worse! (sorry Overkill, just had to :))

Also, take the car on a 30+miles trip on the highway on a weekly basis. This will get the driveline up to full operating temps which will burn off any fuel in the crankcase.
Daughters civic coupe with 1.5 fuel dilution is crazy. Short trips around college campus was never offset by monthly 400 mile highway round trips home and back. Levels on dipstick often got over a half inch above the orange tip full mark.

Does yours have the issue ?
I noticed the oil level above the full mark after winter #2 with the CRV. Then I got the recall work done to "correct" the problem, and haven't seen the oil level rise since. But, we also are sure to take it on the longer drives we make to get it up to temp for miles. Plenty of stories of folks experiencing oil dilution after the "fix" though. Not me (yet).

Among many theories about why the Hondas are putting so much fuel into the oil pan is that the temp of the engine is too cool. And a further theory goes that the 0W16 works by bringing the engine up to temp more quickly.

I'm not saying I buy any of this, but was wondering opinions.

In a perfect world less fuel would make it's way into my oil pan that needed "burning off."

Back