Oil Dilution prone Honda 1.5L Earth dreams - Would 0W16 be a better choice over specced 0W20?

that’s not good for DI. That is a full saps.
I'm not worried about full saps. The noack is under 10 ( like 8.8). I worry more about short trip winter fuel dilution. It was greater than 5% on a uoa. Thats too thin with a 20wt.

I'm not worried about full saps. The noack is under 10 ( like 8.8). I worry more about short trip winter fuel dilution. It was greater than 5% on a uoa. Thats too thin with a 20wt.
If I use 87 octane fuel, the oil smells horrible of fuel. My catch can will also have fuel in it. When 93 octane is used, don’t have that issue. With the fuel prices high, I tried to switch back to 87 and I could smell the fuel. Checked the catch can and had fuel in it. Also pulled oil stick and smelled the fuel. Went back to 93 octane. Oil analysis shows 0.8 fuel when I use 93. When 87 used it had 1.8 fuel dilution.

Some guys on here say Castrol 0w40 is a better choice over M1 0w40
I'm not against that at all. A lower SA is ok with me as long as the viscosity is there. A 0w-40 thats low saps is fine with me, i just don't want the oil too thin from fuel.

You can minimize the effects of thinning by running shorter ocis, ie. Fresh oil is thicker than fuel diluted oil.

If I use 87 octane fuel, the oil smells horrible of fuel. My catch can will also have fuel in it. When 93 octane is used, don’t have that issue. With the fuel prices high, I tried to switch back to 87 and I could smell the fuel. Checked the catch can and had fuel in it. Also pulled oil stick and smelled the fuel. Went back to 93 octane. Oil analysis shows 0.8 fuel when I use 93. When 87 used it had 1.8 fuel dilution.

Not having a DI engine and not being up to speed on details of the pitfalls, can you tell me why octane rating has such an impact on the amount of dilution going on?

Is there a low level of pre-detonation going on that's increasing the amount of fuel making it into the oil?

You can minimize the effects of thinning by running shorter ocis, ie. Fresh oil is thicker than fuel diluted oil.
I send the oil off to Blackstone. The oil still has a TBN of 3.7 at 10,000 miles. I use Mobil 1 esp 0w30. If I used 87 octane I would change at 5,000 miles.

Back