Oil darkening much faster than before...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Juke SV, 1.6L turbo with DI - vehicle is leased, so please don't tell me to use synthetic as Nissan does not spec for it in the manual and the car will be returned at the end of the lease.

OCI: As per manual, 5W30, every 6000kms (3750 mi). Current mileage: 27000kms (half way point of OCI).

Oil changes have been performed by both the dealer and myself. 5W30 conventional always used. Most recent oil change was dealer-installed Mobil 1000 out, Motomaster Formula 1 conventional (Formula Shell) in by me. I've noticed that the currently installed oil started to darken very quickly (even before 1000kms of use) and now it is getting very, very dark. Not black, not gooey or smelly, just dark. Is it that the previous Mobil 1000 was a poor cleaning oil and that the Motomaster (Shell) is just doing its job? Or is the turbo with direct injection beating the [censored] out of this current oil?

Eh, color of the oil is not really very indicative of things. Some just seem to darken quickly, others do not.

Lease? I wouldn't even worry about it. Some people barely ever change their oil on cars they own, you following the maint. schedule is good enough for a lease vehicle.

This seems to be a normal trend for turbo DI cars. On PU 5W-30 my oil was dark 1800 miles into the OCI.

On PUE 5W-40 it's still relativity light after 3100 miles, still waiting to see what it's going to look like at 5K.

Since it's a lease I wouldn't worry about it though.

Originally Posted By: barkingspider
Originally Posted By: oldhp
Then let the dealer change the oil, keep the receipts, and forget about it.

+1
+2

The recommendation to use synthetic when the manufacturer does not require the use to use synthetic should not be recommended blindly.

OP. Just change the oil at the recommended intervals and whomever buys your Nissan used will have better luck than some.

Follow the recommended OCI from Nissan and keep your receipts if you have it done by someone other than dealer. Pretty easy. With a lease, I wouldn't think twice about the hue of the oil; [censored] the dealer should be ecstatic you are not only changing it per the schedule in the book but you even check it!

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
Vehicle: 2013 Nissan Juke SV, 1.6L turbo with DI - vehicle is leased, so please don't tell me to use synthetic as Nissan does not spec for it in the manual and the car will be returned at the end of the lease.

If you're doing it yourself, find whatever conventional 5w-30 is on sale. I'm assuming your dealer charges an arm and a leg for an oil change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back