Oil choice for a supercharged coyote?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've recently supercharged my coyote engine (2011 Mustang 11950 miles). I'm running a mild tune and boost and it's hitting 625 to the wheel. I'm on my last Penn Ultra oil (pre gtl) change and am looking for a recommendation. Stick to 5W20 or go up in weight and any particular flavor Penn, Mobile, Amsoil etc. Brands in favor vary on the different mustang sites. Cold weather not an issue as I'm in central Florida. Thanks for the input, not much info surfaced when searching.

Originally Posted By: kbmag1
..it's hitting 625 to the wheel..

Crank it up!

Failures reported with 5W-20 circulating from the sump on the different Mustang sites you frequent?

I had a customer come into my Valvoline with a complete sleeper Mustang. The supercharger was so tall he had custom engine mounts made so the engine would fit under the hood. The only way you could tell he had some ponies was the oversized Mickey Thompson tires he had. That motor which was a 5.4 liter speced 5w50 which was something I didn't carry and for me to get it was around 11 bucks a quart. I told him I can't do his oil change and for him to take it to the dealer. I would call some engine shops to get their recommendation and go from there.

Yeah the builder of the supercharger should be giving you a spec. Hopefully he has a bunch of customers that have been using his products for many miles without oil problems.

I would be doing uoa's on it and comparing the wear metals to stock coyotes and checking if the oil is holding up and how much more wear than stock is happening. Also I don't think I've seen any boosted cars come from factory with a 20wt oil. I think they are usually 30wt and up.

Originally Posted By: abycat
Yeah the builder of the supercharger should be giving you a spec. Hopefully he has a bunch of customers that have been using his products for many miles without oil problems.

I would be doing uoa's on it and comparing the wear metals to stock coyotes and checking if the oil is holding up and how much more wear than stock is happening. Also I don't think I've seen any boosted cars come from factory with a 20wt oil. I think they are usually 30wt and up.

What exactly will a used oil analysis tell you other than the condition of the oil

How hard is it to understand. Used oil analysis are done to check the condition of the oil. Wear is not accurately measured with a used oil analysis.
You'd think this would have sunk into the minds of the members here.
Apparently not

Originally Posted By: brandini
Oil pressure & temp gauges first, then make the decision based on what you see there.
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
I would email the company that supplied the blower and ask them what they recommend. Otherwise use the OEM-specified oil.

I agree and when you talk to the supplier of the blower and/or the tuner that has used it, get a minimum OP spec'.
If this is a street application and you're not likely seeing high oil temp's then probably nothing heavier than a 5W-30 is in order as you'll want to keep the stock oil pump out of relief mode at maximum oil temp's.

Castrol Syntec 0W30 or M1 0W40. They are very stout oil in 30 and 40 grades. Castrol 0W30 is available at Walmart for $21.xx and M1 0W40 is around $25-26. Those price are for 5-qt jugs.

How are you using the car? Are you tracking it or just spirited street driving? City/highway split? Short tripping often? How often do you get the engine up to full operating temps and how long do you keep it there?

And I think brandini is correct in that you need accurate oil temp and pressure data to make an informed decision based on differences in those data points with varying grades under your typical usage pattern.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula all the way. It's a high vi 40 grade and easily attained at Walmart for about $25 per jug. Best bang for the buck around.

Agreed...particularly at US prices.

If you could get a 5W30 in A3/B4 would be my my choice (in Oz M1 0W40 is $100/5L, EdgeA3/B4 about $65).

Not a Coyote, but i used to have a Modular GT with a procharger on it and i always ran 5w20 motorcraft and i never had a single issue. Some here will convince you to run 5w50 or another super thick oil, but that isnt needed on a street car.

If your just using it as a street sleeper/cruiser id just stick with 5w20 synthetic or move up to a 5w30 synthetic. As said above consult the blower company and monitor oil pressure and temperature.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Mobil 1 0W40 European Formula all the way. It's a high vi 40 grade and easily attained at Walmart for about $25 per jug. Best bang for the buck around.

Agreed...particularly at US prices.

If you could get a 5W30 in A3/B4 would be my my choice (in Oz M1 0W40 is $100/5L, EdgeA3/B4 about $65).

I just bought 10 jugs at Canadian tire.
30 bucks a jug.
Almost American prices.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Castrol 0W30 is available at Walmart for $21.xx

Maybe at the Sino Marts in your area, but I have NEVER seen this (either the old GC, or the new Belgique formula) at any of them in my area(s).
21.gif

Just run the 5W-50 that the track pack and Boss cars are supposed to run if you want to be on the safe side. I think the GT500 runs this viscosity as well.

Wayne

Thanks for the replies. It's primarily a weekend fun car. I guess you could call it a street sleeper, spirited driving. Suspension and exhaust done so I eventually may test at the track and course. Need big and littles and brake pad/fluid upgrade prior to testing. Spent the afternoon with the car on the rollers just to check and make sure it is dialed in. Keeping it safe. The blower is a PD TVS, VMP Stage 2 (Roush style). Work is only 3 miles away, so when driven will see the "short trip". Normally when the engine pops, it is tune related. It's a blast to drive, can cleanly break loose in the 1-4 gears. Tuner isn't overly concerned, has used 5w20,30 and 10w30 penn plat. He changes at 4K miles. I'll check with the vmp and roush to see what they recommend.

Originally Posted By: kbmag1
Thanks for the replies. It's primarily a weekend fun car. I guess you could call it a street sleeper, spirited driving. Suspension and exhaust done so I eventually may test at the track and course. Need big and littles and brake pad/fluid upgrade prior to testing. Spent the afternoon with the car on the rollers just to check and make sure it is dialed in. Keeping it safe. The blower is a PD TVS, VMP Stage 2 (Roush style). Work is only 3 miles away, so when driven will see the "short trip". Normally when the engine pops, it is tune related. It's a blast to drive, can cleanly break loose in the 1-4 gears. Tuner isn't overly concerned, has used 5w20,30 and 10w30 penn plat. He changes at 4K miles. I'll check with the vmp and roush to see what they recommend.

with work only 3 miles away i would just stay with the 5w20 personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back