Oil change rant...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: lt1man
Had to use huge channel lock plumber type wrench, not sure what it's called exactly. Anyways, it got a good grip and pulled it off.

Yep. That's the last step before having to impale the thing with a big screwdriver.
wink.gif

Hello, 41 replies and FINALLY I see the one and only instruction I've ever seen on a filter; "Contact + 3/4 turn" [OK, sometimes 3/4 - 1 full turn]. I just helped a pal reassemble a worked 350 in a 1989 Chevy 1500. The headers we installed plus the front drive made it the hardest filter I've ever removed-even with a wrench. {Censored}, he cranked it on there! Kira

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
A few years back when I had my SRT Neon, I did the first oil change on it... it was, and still is the worst oil change I've ever done. The drain plug was overly tight (which is common to see), but the filter was a whole other story. First of all, it was very accessible and easy to grab, so you'd think that'd make it easier. So I try to remove it by hand, no luck. Filter strap wrench, you say? No luck there either. Punch a screwdriver through it? Nope. Ultimately, it took a massive screwdriver to get it to budge, and eventually get it off. All in all it took several hours
mad.gif

Having worked in a Chrysler dealership I can tell you those factory installed filters are the WORST. Every single tech had a different technique for getting them off. My favorite was this old timer who beat the bottom with a hammer believing it was relieving pressure on the gasket. All in all, they are a pain.

And as for the rant, Ive worked in a dealership and and now operate a quick lube. As a previous lube tech and I can tell you, dealer lube techs are not well trained. (generally speaking, no hate mail please) When I got the job they pulled me from a body shop porter the same day because their lube tech had quit, handed me a wrench, and said have at it. No training, just a crash course. Drain it, change the filter, fill it.

You mean you guys don't use compressed-air-driven impact wrenches to install the drain bolt?

The metal oil drain plug gasket tells you when to stop so that you dont strip the oil pan....

That must be what all places use.

The dealership and the lube shop must use air wrenches because when i try and do my own oil change i have to use a [censored] breaker bar.

The filters I have no trouble with thanks to the oil filter wrench.

The only time i had trouble taking one off was with my GMC jimmy. I must have overtightened it because when it came time to changing it I had to hammer in a screw driver into the filter to get some good lever action going to loosen it up.

Originally Posted By: accent2012
You mean you guys don't use compressed-air-driven impact wrenches to install the drain bolt?

The metal oil drain plug gasket tells you when to stop so that you dont strip the oil pan....

That must be what all places use.

The dealership and the lube shop must use air wrenches because when i try and do my own oil change i have to use a [censored] breaker bar.

The filters I have no trouble with thanks to the oil filter wrench.

The only time i had trouble taking one off was with my GMC jimmy. I must have overtightened it because when it came time to changing it I had to hammer in a screw driver into the filter to get some good lever action going to loosen it up.

Since fitting my own filters I've never had these issues.
I can remove the filter just by hand without any tools.
As long as it doesn't leak at max oil pressure it will be fine and the rubber gasket is clean and well oiled.
Half a turn (0r 3/4) by hand after contact is fine.
Just tight by feel.

I've never had a really hard time with the oil filter though some cars its harder to get my body in a position to put some force to grip & turn, laying on my back on the garage floor.

Now the oil drain plugs, if a shop by chance has done a change on one of the cars I work on, 50% chance it was overtightened and I'll have to use a mallet and tap to loosen it up.

Originally Posted By: accent2012

I'm surprised that quick lube places haven't devised a way to install an oil filter with an impact wrench.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back