Oil Change on 2020 Mercedes GLB 250

Messages
425
Location
Daytona Beach
Quote
^ THIS!!! It probably recommends MB229.51 and MB229.52. It is readily available in Wal Mart: Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 (MB229.51). You can order Mobil1 ESP 5W30 that meets MB 229.51 online or numerous other oils. Mobil1 ESP 0W30 X1 meets MB229.52. If manual states MB229.51 or .52, forget MB229.71. Maintenance of emission system (GPF) depends on SAPS in oil There is nothing magical about 0W20 grade. However, 0W20 allows MB to achieve better CAFE results. That is it. Only reason why MB wants you to use 0W20 is mpg results and certification by EPA. Personally, I would not touch MB229.71 with 10 foot pole if MB229.51 or .52 is allowed.
I have the same engine in my 2018 E300. It calls for either 229.5 or 229.6 engine oil, no grades specified. 229.51 and .52 are diesel specs, so that probably would be a poorer choice than the old tried and true 229.5 (Mobil1 European Vehicle 0W-40) 229.6 is a 5W-30 spec mainly, though other grades are available, once again probably for the CAFE rating. For a large car or SUV like these to get 40 MPG (on occasion, not average) is astonishing to me. A question for the MB tech, MontyPix. What is the bare metal crossover tube that protrudes through the engine cover? I'm assuming some kind of exhaust crossover or waste gate for the turbo. That sucker gets HOT!! Also, do these engines in fact have a particulate filter, or is low saps just being spec'd to avoid cat poisoning?
 
Messages
41
Location
Sweden
Originally Posted by JohnG
Also, do these engines in fact have a particulate filter, or is low saps just being spec'd to avoid cat poisoning?
In yours you probably don't have an GPF, but he probably does. Lots of european carmakers are putting GPF in almost all petrol engines by now. Then you can use a good 229.5 oil but his car can't take the SAPs in it.
 
Messages
12,310
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by JohnG
Quote
^ THIS!!! It probably recommends MB229.51 and MB229.52. It is readily available in Wal Mart: Pennzoil Euro L 5W30 (MB229.51). You can order Mobil1 ESP 5W30 that meets MB 229.51 online or numerous other oils. Mobil1 ESP 0W30 X1 meets MB229.52. If manual states MB229.51 or .52, forget MB229.71. Maintenance of emission system (GPF) depends on SAPS in oil There is nothing magical about 0W20 grade. However, 0W20 allows MB to achieve better CAFE results. That is it. Only reason why MB wants you to use 0W20 is mpg results and certification by EPA. Personally, I would not touch MB229.71 with 10 foot pole if MB229.51 or .52 is allowed.
I have the same engine in my 2018 E300. It calls for either 229.5 or 229.6 engine oil, no grades specified. 229.51 and .52 are diesel specs, so that probably would be a poorer choice than the old tried and true 229.5 (Mobil1 European Vehicle 0W-40) 229.6 is a 5W-30 spec mainly, though other grades are available, once again probably for the CAFE rating. For a large car or SUV like these to get 40 MPG (on occasion, not average) is astonishing to me. A question for the MB tech, MontyPix. What is the bare metal crossover tube that protrudes through the engine cover? I'm assuming some kind of exhaust crossover or waste gate for the turbo. That sucker gets HOT!! Also, do these engines in fact have a particulate filter, or is low saps just being spec'd to avoid cat poisoning?
229.51 and .52 are not diesel specs., they are Lower-SAPS specs. MB uses MB229.51 and .52 in gasoline engines in EU since 2009 (229.51, and later .52). Key is that gas has lower sulphur levels which most US gas has since 01/01/2017. If OP does not have GPF, MB229.5 is fine. But if GPF is there, MB229.51 or .52 are a must.
 
Messages
425
Location
Daytona Beach
Quote
If OP does not have GPF, MB229.5 is fine. But if GPF is there, MB229.51 or .52 are a must.
I believe that is correct, thanks for straightening me out. I'm sure that is why those specs also carry the C4 spec as well. Unfortunately Mercedes is not very forthcoming with information on their engines and even though I was aware that the POSSIBILITY of a GPF existed on these engines, I was not aware that they are more commonly included in european versions of the same vehicle.
 
Messages
1,281
Location
Vancouver
.
Originally Posted by Tonicart
Here is a photo of the manual that came with my GLB. I'm not entirely sure if it has a GPF. I think I will get my oil from the dealership for now, until there is more info on this model out in the wild. Thanks. https://imgur.com/FUIyZIq
use the "BBcode" link and the picture will show up in the thread [Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
 
Messages
12,310
Location
Colorado Springs
Originally Posted by Tonicart
Here is a photo of the manual that came with my GLB. I'm not entirely sure if it has a GPF. I think I will get my oil from the dealership for now, until there is more info on this model out in the wild. Thanks. https://imgur.com/FUIyZIq
Get oil MB229.51 and call it a day. It will perform better with turbo engine anyway. Here are some options: Motul 5W30 EFE Castrol 5W30 C3 Total 5W30 MC3 Mobil1 ESP 5W30
 
Last edited:
Top