oil change (filter) tip

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first post at this site. I've been "noodling around" the site for a couple of weeks and have learned much, thank you.

I've been changing my own oil since I started to drive, 30 odd years ago, and have a few tips. I hope they are useful (and not "old hat").

I know you're suppost to recycle the old oil filter, but in reality it gets thrown out. I never liked the idea of sending the oil trapped in the oil filter to the landfill where it would slowly leak out and add to contamination at the landfill, so I try to drain it out. I added a nail, about 1/8" diameter, to my oil change kit. Punch one hole at the base of the old oil filter and one hole at the top of the old oil filter. That trapped oil comes wizzing right out. Usually a cup or so of oil comes out. That's a little less oil in the landfill, good for the environment.
wink.gif

Rick in PA,
Excellent idea Rick. If you recycle oil you have to think about what's left in the fliter too.Tell me ,does EVERYONE here recycle their oil? I do!
grin.gif

Advance Auto takes it for FREE! Take it back when you buy your next filter/oil.

Mark

Good one, Rick. I do a variation on that trick. My filter is mounted almost upside down, so that it is very messy to take off. I drive a nail into the filter end which breaks the suction, and allows the filter oil to drain back into the pan. This makes removal much easier.
welcome.gif

quote:

Originally posted by rugerman1:
Rick in PA,
Excellent idea Rick. If you recycle oil you have to think about what's left in the fliter too.Tell me ,does EVERYONE here recycle their oil? I do!
grin.gif

Advance Auto takes it for FREE! Take it back when you buy your next filter/oil.

Mark

I take my used oil and filters to the local recycling center. I hope they actually do something with the filters and don't just throw them in the landfill. Maybe they send them to Fram and they get painted orange and go in a new box!
grin.gif

Patman

I too recycle my oil. My county recyling center accepts all types of fluids like oil, antifreeze, brake fluid etc... My biggest problem is that I always spill a little oil in the driveway
frown.gif

Jim

quote:

Originally posted by frankenvette:
I too recycle my oil. My county recyling center accepts all types of fluids like oil, antifreeze, brake fluid etc... My biggest problem is that I always spill a little oil in the driveway
frown.gif

Jim

Cardboard! I had the same problem too. Always told myself "I'm not going to spill any oil.", always spilled a little (OK, sometimes, a lot)
wink.gif
Ended up having some nasty spots on the driveway macadam.
pat.gif

Get a big piece of cardboard, like the side of a stove or dishwasher box. Slide it under the car at the start of the oil change. After you drop the oil and change the filter, gently slide the cardboard out with the oil catch pan on it. Then pour the old oil into your recycling jug (on top of the cardboard). Viola, no mess.
smile.gif

I would place the card board under the car like you suggest, but it is already under the corvette soaking up oil from an oil leak. If I could drop an oil well in my garage floor, I could be rich with all the oil that I have leaked
grin.gif

Jim

Both of my trucks have a vertical hanging filter. Each filter holds apprx. 2 quarts of oil. Now if you want fun, take one of them off and have it drop on the driveway. I am guilty. Never again, now I just punch a hole in the bottom with a large screwdriver and drain them like I do the crankcase. I have never dropped one since.

quote:

Originally posted by frankenvette:
frown.gif

Jim

Me too! Plus my car leaks a little bit too, since it's intake manifold uses RTV sealant and the LT1 always develops a leak there because the heat from the EGR system weakens the seal there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back