Oil change due, can I reuse my M1 filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I am changing out my oil PP 5w-20 that has 5k miles (I'm changing it out because I'm still under warranty) and want to know if I can reuse my current M1 filter with the same mileage?

I have heard they are good for 10k but not 100% sure. Thanks for the replies!

Last edited:
So is the oil. I would like to suggest that for 5,000 mile oil change intervals you do not need a syn oil or the M1 filter. You are not really getting any value from the extra dollars you are spending on the oil or filter .Study up the Uoas.

I re-used Honda OEM filter of my S2000 when I changed oil last night, the car was driven only 3k miles the last 6 months. I did removed the oil filter and turned it upside down to drain as much old oil out as possible before re-install it.

Go ahead and re-use it. M1 filters are good for 15k mile OCI's according to M1 and even longer based on UOA's and dissection of them.

For 5k oil runs I would be using plain old YB and inexpensive filter.

The statement about not getting the value out of the Full Synthetic is true. The oil and filter you have on there would probably good until 10,000 miles.

Another way to look at it is this. If you have to do the work to change it out every 5k, then why not save yourself some $$ in the process?

Annual mileage? How long to reach 5k? The longer the mileage ..the more the mismatch (with most) oils and filters. They both stretch out ..but the fatigue on the filter goes way down when the starting/warm up cycles go down per mile of operation.

Does your mfg call for filter change with oil change at 5K? Warranty concerns may apply here also.

The M1 box claims x2 holding capacity but the media is not the synth/glass used in EaO, Stratpore, RP, ect. so I'm skeptical.

Flip side is newer app's run cleaner. Generally I believe most filters 'could' do 10K on newer app's. I cut some open and posted assessments here. My 1997 5.7L filter could not make it since it's the size of a small soup can. Two other 3L (1985,2005) filters could in my assessment.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
For 5k oil runs I would be using plain old YB and inexpensive filter.

The statement about not getting the value out of the Full Synthetic is true. The oil and filter you have on there would probably good until 10,000 miles.

Another way to look at it is this. If you have to do the work to change it out every 5k, then why not save yourself some $$ in the process?

I have actually thought about going back to YB (this was my first run on synthetic oil) because of the 5k oil changes and being under warranty. The only reason I even thought about using it was because I have an 08 scion xb. The underhood temps get really high on them due to the lack of air entering from the upper grille (its reallly restrictive) & I figured synthetic would protect better.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Annual mileage? How long to reach 5k? The longer the mileage ..the more the mismatch (with most) oils and filters. They both stretch out ..but the fatigue on the filter goes way down when the starting/warm up cycles go down per mile of operation.

The oil has been used since September, almost 6 months and I'm about 400 miles away from 5k miles on it.

I'm currently running 5K oci's on an 08 Scion xb with Motorcraft 5W-20. The filter is a bear to get to on this model. Once the warranty expires, I will stretch the oci out 7k with no worries. I was not aware that the (storm trooper) front grill was that restrictive with airflow. What data do you have concerning under hood temps? I do like the new model much more than the 1st generation.

Originally Posted By: drivewaytech
I'm currently running 5K oci's on an 08 Scion xb with Motorcraft 5W-20. The filter is a bear to get to on this model. Once the warranty expires, I will stretch the oci out 7k with no worries. I was not aware that the (storm trooper) front grill was that restrictive with airflow. What data do you have concerning under hood temps? I do like the new model much more than the 1st generation.

Hey that's good to know that you are using Motorcraft motor oil. I saw it at Walmart and the price for it was a real bargain. I personally don't have problems with the oil filter, I just jack up the vehicle, remove the clips holding the plastic cover and off the filter comes. Nothing compared to my old 99 Ford Ranger. The [censored] filter was placed directly under the exhaust manifold lol!

Regarding the under hood temps, alot of members on scionlife.com were complaining and stating during the summer they had a burning rubber smell. It does run a bit warmer than other cars I have had, but nothing has been proven to cause any damage to the vehicle.

I don't have anything to prove that the upper grille is restrictive, but just by looking at it, you can tell it's not the best design for air flow for the upper portion of the radiator. It does work great to get the temps up in the winter though haha.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

The oil has been used since September, almost 6 months and I'm about 400 miles away from 5k miles on it.

You're at my fuzzy cut off for "every other" FCI per OCI thing.

6 months fits most service profiles (there are exceptions). The more you're above 10k ..the easier it is to get the money out of more expensive fluids and filters.

Any lower mileage and I'd say go cheap on the filter and change it every OCI. You would (most likely) have more short trip events and more warm up cycles to load the filter. The oil is a toss up ..but cheaper is more sensible.

My basic rule.

Under 10k ..every 6 months for both ..and go as cheap as you please.
Over 10k ..every 6 months for oil ..every other for the filter and go as expensive as you please.

Index for particulars and nuances ..niche..etc.

Thanks for the advice Gary! I'll save the extra money and just go YB with a cheap stp filter for now until the warranty is up.

Last edited:
Oil and filters are like anything else you buy. Is good, good enough or do you want better or the best.

Running dino and a cheap filter will probably work fine in your car for 5,000 mile OCI's. But will it perform as well as a Syn oil and premium filter? oil? No.

Not only are wear an issue but also, fuel economy, starting in cold weather, shearing, engine cleanliness etc...

I agree it may not be as good as some of the others but the syn media they use is still better than a standard filters paper media.

My Honda says 10k on oil and 20k on filter. I reuse good filters, making shure to drain them. imo, reuse filter is good on more expensive apps or hard to service cars. Some filters are almost $10. If using dino oil and short intervals, you can reuse filters more ideally. Say 6k on the first oil and 4k on the next, 10k on the filter.

I always reuse my filter for 2 OCI (as Honda recommends) and it happens to be a M1. Should be closer to 15K miles by the time I change it. I plan on cutting it open and posting pics when the time comes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back