Oil Change Day

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I did the first oil change on my 2004 Toyota Sequoia with the I-Force 4.7L V8 that seems to be a "champion" of an engine.

I purchased it a few weeks ago and drove it just over 2,000 miles before switching it over to 5w-30 Pennzoil Platinum with a Mobil 1 M-209 filter (the larger version of the M-102). With the larger filter I squeezed in just over 7 quarts of oil. I think the official dry capacity is 7.2 quarts if I remember correctly from my 2004 Tundra that I owned a few years ago.

My plan is to split the difference between now and 90,000 miles so that the oil change will match up with the timing belt and water pump change. Each OCI will be about 7,000 miles which should be easy for the engine, oil and filter combination.

I also installed a new Fram air filter. The one I took out seemed fairly dirty assuming that the dealer changed it 2,000+ miles ago.

Starting in about a month my wife will be driving about 30 miles, mostly highway, to work each day so the miles will build fast, but they'll be easy miles.

While I was in grease monkey mode, I also swapped out the oil in my 89 4Runner. Due to what Walmart had on the shelf, I switched from 10w-30 to 5w-30 Maxlife Blend. I didn't change the Mobil 1 M-209 filter that has about 3,000 miles on it. I'm sure I could have run it a lot longer, but rather than top it off I opted for the $14 swap.

thumbsup2.gif
Sounded like a good day!

If I'm allowed to piggy back on your Oil Change Day, I had my motor stables weekend. Changed the oil on my push mower, noticed the fuel line was cracking, so I got a new line and added an in-line fuel filter. We'll see how that goes. If it doesn't I have enough fuel line to re-plumb it without the filter.

Also started oilBabe's MMO treatment on her Camry. It seems to have reduced the oil consumption in my 94 Prizm from about 1qt every 1k miles to 1/2 quart in the first 2700mi of the OCI.

So I pulled her plugs yesterday and put 3oz in each cylinder and the remainder of the 32oz bottle into the crankcase.

Today, after her and the kids left for a youth group event, I blew out the MMO, replaced the plugs, and drove the car about 50-60 miles in total, and returned home to change the oil.

The Camry has 207K on the clock and was also at about the 1qt/1k consumption rate, so we'll see if I freed up anything.

It only cost me about $4 for the MMO, so it's cheap fun!

I hope you enjoy your truck.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
Whay not use the M1-301 oil filter instead? It's a more larger filter than the M1-209.

I'll have to take a look at this filter, the M1-102 is the OEM replacement for the 4Runner and, I think, the Sequoia. A few months ago I called the Mobil 1 tech line and was told that the M1-209 was the oversize version of the M1-102.

I don't know anything about the M1-301. I like the idea of the larger capacity while staying as close to OEM as I can. Can't the bypass pressure change from filter to filter?

Originally Posted By: blackdiamond
Can't the bypass pressure change from filter to filter?

Yes.

Originally Posted By: live_to_hunt
The Sequoia has a timing belt I have a 2006 and there is no timing belt listed in my manual at any service??

The 2004 Scheduled Maintenance Guide says to replace the timing belt at 90,000 miles with a note 3. Note 3 says, "Applies to Highlander with 3MZ-FE, Land Cruiser, Sequoia, Tundra, Tacoma with 5VZ-FE and 4Runner with 2UZ-FE."

You got my hopes up!

I looked at the bypass PSI of the M1-301 (wix# 51515) and the M1-102 (wix# 51348) and the have the same PSI. I have a bunch of wix# 51515 and M1-301s for my 1997 F250 and used them on my 01 Tundra V8 with no problems, and I can add a full 7 qts instead of 6.5 with the small filter.

The Sequoia has a timing belt I have a 2006 and there is no timing belt listed in my manual at any service??

If you have the 4.7L v-8, you have a timing belt and it MUST be replaced at the interval.

The new sequoia's with the 5.7 or the new 4.6 have dual timing chains, so there's no belt to worry about.
The 4.0L v-6 in the 4runner also has a chain.

I must have a timing belt I have the 4.7 V-8.. I have looked in the manual specifically for the timing belt and its not mentioned. Toyota mails me maintenance reminders and has never mentioned that I would need a belt. I believe you that I have one. I have 63,000 on the Sequoia so I have some time.

Sometimes, even though it's not my 3K for OCI, I still change it. Last time, I did an oil change with only 800 miles in it.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
I looked at the bypass PSI of the M1-301 (wix# 51515) and the M1-102 (wix# 51348) and the have the same PSI. I have a bunch of wix# 51515 and M1-301s for my 1997 F250 and used them on my 01 Tundra V8 with no problems, and I can add a full 7 qts instead of 6.5 with the small filter.

I take a look, but I got 7+ quarts in with the M1-209 so the must be fairly close in size.

Did I mention that the dealership had the filter on so tight that it started to crush when I put a wrench on it. I even had to use my free hand to help work it loose, idiots!

Thanks for the Toyota Link I have a belt. I have some time I have 63,000 on the Rig. Black Diamond do you have any quotes on the price for the timing belt?

Thanks for the Toyota Link I have a belt. I have some time I have 63,000 on the Rig. Black Diamond do you have any quotes on the price for the timing belt?

My local shop, not Toyota, looked up a similar job that they did and it was $800-1,000 using Toyota parts and includes replacing the water pump. I have not called the dealership for comparison.

I did a little comparison of the various Mobil 1 oil filters and found the following:

Wix 51348 (M1-102) - 31.2 cu-in
Wix 51516 (M1-209) - 44.3 cu-in (+42%)
Wix 51515 (M1-301?) - 59.5 cu-in (+91%)

I noticed that Wix didn't show a match for the M1-301 in their system, so the association is from the post above.

The volumes are simply based on the advertised dimensions, but they should be close enough for comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back