January 1, 2012 Oil Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who joined me today with changing the oil on one or all o their vehicles? My 1989 4Runner was changed to a mix of 5w-30 and 10w-30 Valvoline Maxlife with an oversize Napa Gold oil filter. I had several quarts of Maxlife sitting around so I purchased two more quarts of 5w-30 to clean off the shelf. I had lost track of when the last oil change was, but I'm fairly certain that it was last March. Considering that I filled it up today for the first time since September, miles on the oil isn't an issue. My plan is 5,000 miles or 6 months (the likely scenario). My 2004 Sequoia was changed to 5w-30 Mobil 1 Extended Performance. My previous OCI was just under 11,000 miles on 0w-30 Castrol Syntec (German Formula) with an oversize Mobil 1 oil filter. My plan is for 7,500 miles or 6 months.

I am with you, I changed oil in the RX330 today ... 4 qts of Pennzoil HM 5W30 and 1 qt of Pennzoil Ultra 5W30. I will be sending in a sample of the mix with 5K on it to Blackstone on Tuesday.

I changed oil in my 2 cars 2.5 months ago, another one had oil changed last April. My OCI's are 12-14k/12mos with synthetic. The next oil change will be around April 10-15.

Add me in. Nice and sunny today I couldn't resist changing my oil.I was probably a month early but I don't like doing anything in cold weather car related. I used Super-tech 5w-30 and will change it out in 6 months or 6k which ever comes first and probably send it to blackstone to see how it holds up.

I didn't change the oil today, but I did wash it intensely with a highly concentrated mixture of Dawn and later applied a coat of NuFinish. With the temperatures in the high 60's, I just couldn't let is go by. In my defense, I am getting the oil changed this week at the dealership (Toyota Care). 0W20 just in time for cold weather as compared to the 5W20 that I have in it now. The 5W20 is much more available and cheaper than the 0W20.

Yeah, I hate bustin my knuckles when it is below freezing as well. I change all my rigs on Oct 1 and Apr 1. But, I think it is a neat thing to change it up on Jan 1....and I would if I lived in South Texas or Florida or Yuma.

Put five quarts of Mobil1 0w-20 in our 2011 Mazda 6 along with a K&N oil filter. Threw in a couple pints of M1 0w-40 to top off the oil level, since that's what was on the shelf. Next time I'll know to get six quarts... The car goes on a road trip today, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered.

Yesterday was the oil change day for me. I did the P5 with what I had left of PP and then some PYB to make up the rest. I did oilBabe's Altima with the FAR G-oil I got at Wal*Mart. So now I think I'm down to about three cases of individual quarts, a mixed collection of PYB, QS and some Mobil 5K as well as two or three 5qt bottles of QS. So I'm probably good for 2012 for my fleet of four cars.

I was going to but it was dark when we got home. Did rotate tires before leaving the house. I have to spring for a impact wrench. 4 way is bustin my nutz! Saving oil and $ for 1 more week.

My changes are planned so they will be performed in warmer weather, 1-1-xx means nothing to me... I change in the spring to be rid of any fuel dilution or moisture accumulated in the oil over the winter...

Gonna do my gf`s Olds today if I have time. Formula Shell 10W40. Not sure what filter,either a Wix or AC Delco.

Changed oil in the Marquis and the Impala. Oil and filters in the sig. It was a bit early in the Merc but I just wanted to get them both done so I didn't have to worry about them for a while.

No oil change here but I did put the Camaro up on ramps New Years Day and found the source of my exhaust leak. Y-pipe at right side exhaust manifold. But while I was under there I did give the oil filter a nice tug with my hand to make sure it was tight.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda, if I had just two less beers on the Eve. Boy did I want to do the Aerostar's oil yesterday. I was 75 miles shy of my 5K OCI. Now it's going to have to wait till the next chance I get.

I changed the oil and rotated the tires on the wife's EB Platinum in the morning and followed up with a wash job and interior detailing. I just hit it with Megs Ultimate spray wax to top coat it. With the temps in the mid 60's I couldn't pass it up.....

Originally Posted By: cancov
I didn't change the oil today, but I did wash it intensely with a highly concentrated mixture of Dawn and later applied a coat of NuFinish. With the temperatures in the high 60's, I just couldn't let is go by. In my defense, I am getting the oil changed this week at the dealership (Toyota Care). 0W20 just in time for cold weather as compared to the 5W20 that I have in it now. The 5W20 is much more available and cheaper than the 0W20.
shocked Dish soap?!? Noooooooo! wink J/K. As a former professional automotive detailer, I just cringe at the thought... It's okay if done right, but I have had to fix so many paint jobs from people who constantly washed with Dawn (or whatever) and never put a coat of wax/sealant on afterwards... Scratches everywhere!!! NuFinish is not a product I use, as it doesn't give me the depth and gloss that I like, but I will admit that it holds up as well as, and better than many, much more expensive products. Perfect for a car in the winter, especially if there's a lot of salt. Just need to find a way to "aerosol-ize" it and coat the under-carriage smile

Originally Posted By: nleksan
Originally Posted By: cancov
shocked Dish soap?!? Noooooooo! wink J/K. As a former professional automotive detailer, I just cringe at the thought... It's okay if done right, but I have had to fix so many paint jobs from people who constantly washed with Dawn (or whatever) and never put a coat of wax/sealant on afterwards... Scratches everywhere!!! NuFinish is not a product I use, as it doesn't give me the depth and gloss that I like, but I will admit that it holds up as well as, and better than many, much more expensive products. Perfect for a car in the winter, especially if there's a lot of salt. Just need to find a way to "aerosol-ize" it and coat the under-carriage smile
Don't worry leksan, the Dawn only goes on when I plan to immediately apply a coat of wax. I agree about the NuFinish. It doesn't have the depth of others, however, it does last and at less than $7 a bottle, you can't beat it for winter protection, which is exactly what I was trying to do on 1/1/12.

Status
Not open for further replies.