Is my engine gonna blow up?

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: TOMJ
Originally Posted By: PimTac
I am of the mindset that you don’t change what is working for you. You could run a shorter oci like 5k or 7.5k. It sounds like you will run this car until it goes.

Yeah, we plan on keeping the car forever, it's my wife's baby.

After I bought the EP, I thought about just sticking with the Mobil 1 High Mileage and a 7,500 mile OCI.

Don't letem scare you.

Nothing wrong with extending OCIs on an old vehicle.

It's a 25 year old car. You want it to blow up so you have a reason to buy a new car. You're playing with houses money right now

I agree with PimTac on this. 7500 miles is good enough.

Better questions are about coolant and transmission fluids.... The coolant going bad would be a bigger concern to me at this point. Most older vehicles suffer coolant related failures late in their life. Head gaskets going bad... Leaking from water pump or leaks room radiator. Take care of that has well. And you will likely be in very good shape for 400k miles and possibly 500k miles. Another good member on here harryj has 540k miles on his Honda from that era.

Stay! Good boy.

I'd advise not to go beyond your 7500 mile intervals. You keep upping the bar then it might push back, eg. Emissions failures, worse fuel economy, and the main one I would worry about is increasing oil usage.

You are doing great at a quart per 7500.....especially in a Honda with a timing belt and 300,000 miles. That is simply superb.

3000 on cheap oil
5000 on name brand conventional
7500 on synblend or full

That would be my suggestion.

And the filter staying on twice is cool. I dont think I have ever done it. I think only my sportbike ever suggested it.
Invest in some sort of fluted filter socket.

Pics ftw!

I would think 10k oil and filter changes would be fine. This assumes a quality oil and filter are being used.

If you really want to know, when you change the oil, catch some for analysis. If the tbn and everything else was good after 7500 miles, you can figure out if you could go 10k.

nice achievement with the car. I did 300k in my old 91 toy pickup, and wish I kept it like you are your car. Congrats again.

edit-ok, I failed to see you already changed the oil, so you probably don't have a clean sample to analyze. I'd think you would be fine, do it.

Last edited:
And one more thing, keeping an oil filter in use for 15,000 miles makes it a pain to remove.

It has nothing to do with how long you're keeping it on. It's because you're using a tool to install the oil filter. Never use a tool to install a spin-on oil filter. Put some new oil on the gasket and only tighten it by hand. Oil-filter wrenches for spin-on oil filters are for removing them, not for installing them.

Regarding oil recommendation, since you live in Atlanta and your car is burning a lot of oil, it makes no sense for you to use 5W-30, which is a very thin grade that gets sucked through the valve-stem oil seals. Use 5W-40, 10W-40, 15W-40, etc. I would probably use cheap conventional oil as it's costing you a lot to top off the burning oil otherwise.

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely some differing opinions. I think that I'm going to stick with Mobil 1 high mileage and the Honda recommended 7,500 mile OCIs.
The Mobil 1 did a better job at stopping the slight rear main seal leak than the conventional Mobil high mileage did.

Thanks for all the replies. Definitely some differing opinions. I think that I'm going to stick with Mobil 1 high mileage and the Honda recommended 7,500 mile OCIs.
The Mobil 1 did a better job at stopping the slight rear main seal leak than the conventional Mobil high mileage did.

Next oil change I would try M1 HM 10w-30. It is a slightly thicker HTHS (3.5 for 10w versus 3.1 for 5w). This might help with your oil leak and consumption. And stick with the 7,000 OCI. Being at 300K there is plenty of blow by and other factors contaminating your oil.

Originally Posted By: ka9mnx

Next oil change I would try M1 HM 10w-30. It is a slightly thicker HTHS (3.5 for 10w versus 3.1 for 5w). This might help with your oil leak and consumption. And stick with the 7,000 OCI. Being at 300K there is plenty of blow by and other factors contaminating your oil.

10w-30 might be worth a shot.

Thanks.

You might want to attend to the other aspects of the car like making sure your wheel bearings are in good shape and the rear ones are properly seviced. Also, the other issues of a 25 year old car is that the safety systems of a newer car are much better such as front and side air bags. Not trying to be a prude but look at it this way. You’ve already achieved what most Bitgoers are working hard to achieve. What’s the next prize. How about a safer car.

Did you have a valve job on this engine? It's hard to believe that a 25-year-old Honda with 300,000 miles on it and a leak on the rear seal consumes only a quart in 7,500 miles. I first read it as consuming a quart per 1,000 miles, which would be more like it in such a car, with valve-stem oil seals practically eroded away.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Did you have a valve job on this engine? It's hard to believe that a 25-year-old Honda with 300,000 miles on it and a leak on the rear seal consumes only a quart in 7,500 miles. I first read it as consuming a quart per 1,000 miles, which would be more like it in such a car, with valve-stem oil seals practically eroded away.

No valve job and rear seal leak is basically a very small weep after switching to Mobil 1 high mileage oil. And yes, only one quart needed for topping off in the 7,500 mile OCI.

You might want to attend to the other aspects of the car like making sure your wheel bearings are in good shape and the rear ones are properly seviced. Also, the other issues of a 25 year old car is that the safety systems of a newer car are much better such as front and side air bags. Not trying to be a prude but look at it this way. You’ve already achieved what most Bitgoers are working hard to achieve. What’s the next prize. How about a safer car.
That is my biggest concern. A small 25 year old car pretty much sounds like a death trap, especially commuting in Atlanta traffic.

Good luck

Edit: Oof, it's from 2018. Hopefully only the car is dead. It would be a Ram that randomly bumped a 2.5 year old thread for a simple comment

Back