Oil Change and increased oil leaks/seepage?

So on my 2002 V8 Toyota with 338K miles, I changed from primarily using Maxlife HM 10W30 to a mix of 5 qts 10W30 PP HM and 1.5 qt 0W20 PP for this oil change. No logic behind this other that a need to get rid of partially used oil jugs laying abut the garage. It's been about 3 months and 900 miles, and and I'm seeing an increase in oil seepage, what used to be couple of drops every now and again, has gone up to a few drops every week.

Over the years I've read about additives in oils, detergents, seal conditioners and other stuff. Would anyone like to attempt an emplanation as to why the V8 hss seemingly decided to shed oil at a faster rate?

So on my 2002 V8 Toyota with 338K miles, I changed from primarily using Maxlife HM 10W30 to a mix of 5 qts 10W30 PP HM and 1.5 qt 0W20 PP for this oil change. No logic behind this other that a need to get rid of partially used oil jugs laying abut the garage. It's been about 3 months and 900 miles, and and I'm seeing an increase in oil seepage, what used to be couple of drops every now and again, has gone up to a few drops every week.

Over the years I've read about additives in oils, detergents, seal conditioners and other stuff. Would anyone like to attempt an emplanation as to why the V8 hss seemingly decided to shed oil at a faster rate?

I'm guessing it is because of the lower oil viscosity you added. You were using 10W30 and now a mix of 10W30 and 0W20...

Just my $0.02

Mixing 5 qrts of 10W30 and 1.5 qrts of 0W20 you'd probably get 8.31W27.584. Seals might be going and the slightly thinner oil is showing them.

Technically it shouldn’t happen but if you have used one brand for a long time and then switch, this may occur.
Why might a change in oil brand contribute to increasing leaks? If the seals are good, that shouldn't happen, yes?

Why might a change in oil brand contribute to increasing leaks? If the seals are good, that shouldn't happen, yes?

I don’t have the answer but just as a example, someone who was a Pennzoil loyalist for the first 100,000 miles up and decided to be a Mobil 1 loyalist discovers leaks and weeps after the change. Usually they go away over time but it can be disconcerting. I’ve seen it happen.

Where exactly is it seeping from? The pan? The valve cover? And it’s probably where you added that 0W-20 in with it. Maybe next time just use the 10W-30 by itself to see if that helps.

Thanks for the replies, even the little comedic distraction... much appreciated. I see there are a few similar threads on here about switch oils and grades, and increased and decreased leaks. I'm going to try changing back to Maxlife HM and see if there's a change. If not, that's about $40 down the drain... if it works, my paver driveway will be ecstatic!

My v8 Toyota will NEVER see 0W20 except when I bought it factory new.

Stick with a 30 or thicker 30 (like HM) or even a light 40 especially since yours engine is older. Also one of my older cars doesn't do well with syn. You went from a syn-blend to more of syn oil (0W) and also thinner (mix of 20).

good idea about going back and verifying but wait till your next oci. Few drops a week is not much ... Put a little bucket or newspaper under the car if it bugs you. lol

Back