Oil breaking in a 454

Has a fresh Chevy BB 454 I just built. Should be close to 600 hp.
Hyd roller billet core 160/420 closed/open spring pressure.
Moly piston rings.

Unsure what oil I should use during break in?
break in oil Like Edelbrock 1070, Joe gibbs etc. Regular dino 10w30? should I use break in additive like Comp cams, redline etc?

I think a 500 to 1000 mile break in on a 10w30 or 15w40 hdeo would be just as good as anything!
Then move to an oil of your choice..
I tend to think people put too much thought into break in , do not see special additives as being needed just ease in too the first few hundred miles let everything settle in before really loading up the engine.

You made the perfect choice in the roller cam. Break in will be a snap. I would use a good 10w30.
We also used straight 30w back in the day.
Enjoy your BB Chevy!

Will you prime the engine before starting? If I were to chose an oil it would be a 15w-40 HDEO Or M1 10w-30 high mileage .

??

Proper operation and driving will have more influence on break in than the oil will.
Yes some say the oil is so importent for seating the rings and modern oil will wash of more so rings wont seat as fast. Some shops wont dyno If you dont use the break in oil they recomend.I will break it in on a stans before it goes to the dyno.

I'd use a 15w40 until you verify no leaks, good compression, good oil pressure, and monitor the oil PSI/temp during running.

A lot depends on the rings, how the cylinder was finish honed, and pistons, but I wouldn't run synthetic until the rings are seated. Personally on roller motors that I run now, I start them on straight 30, drain after 100 miles to get assembly lube and dirt out, then go to dino of your choice for 1000 miles. After that you can gradually extend the oil change intervals. If you want to run synthetic wait until 5000-10,000 miles, again depending on the machine work on the cylinders and the rings used. I thought the rings would never seat on some of the older builds, but they do eventually.

A built big block isn't your standard 2.4 Toybmwda motor that people are spouting off on Bitog.

A lot depends on the rings, how the cylinder was finish honed, and pistons, but I wouldn't run synthetic until the rings are seated. Personally on roller motors that I run now, I start them on straight 30, drain after 100 miles to get assembly lube and dirt out, then go to dino of your choice for 1000 miles. After that you can gradually extend the oil change intervals. If you want to run synthetic wait until 5000-10,000 miles, again depending on the machine work on the cylinders and the rings used. I thought the rings would never seat on some of the older builds, but they do eventually.

A built big block isn't your standard 2.4 Toybmwda motor that people are spouting off on Bitog.
Moly rings from total seal Std tension with proper hone job srp forged pistons. Yes I plan to use dino oil before I switch to syntetic mobil 1.

If the machine work was done right, just do a lot of variation on the go pedal, moly rings usually seat pretty quick. It never hurts to get it up to 3000 rpm, then let get off the gas and let it coast. Old school and it works, to seat the rings on those big pistons.

You made the perfect choice in the roller cam. Break in will be a snap. I would use a good 10w30.
We also used straight 30w back in the day.
Enjoy your BB Chevy!
👍🏻 So you think the amalie oil I have is ok or should I use hdeo oil and then switch to amalie before syntetic?

If the machine work was done right, just do a lot of variation on the go pedal, moly rings usually seat pretty quick. It never hurts to get it up to 3000 rpm, then let get off the gas and let it coast. Old school and it works, to seat the rings on those big pistons.
Warming it up low rpm. Yes thats How I usuallly Do breaking it in on a stand. Some 3000-4000 blasts.

Back