Oil and OCI recommendation for 2011 Acadia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Just got a new 2011 GMC Acadia and was looking to get a good oil and OCI recommendation for this vehicle.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2011 GMC Acadia 3.6DI Engine

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
Dexos1 and follow OLM/1yr

3. Where you live
Midwest

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
easy and follow speed limit

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
About 20 percent short/city and 80 percent long/highway (two trips a week that are 45 miles one way all highway)

6. Whether your car has any known problems
I have heard the 3.6DI are hard on oil with bad fuel dilution and sludge issues.

7. How long do you expect to keep this vehicle (Thought this was important to add)
I usually don't keep vehicles much past 100k miles and don't expect this one to be any different. I also expect to put about 12 to 15k miles a year on the vehicle.

I was planning on running synthetic and following the OLM for some nice long OCIs but from what I have been hearing that may not be a good idea in this motor.
Even the service manager for the dealership recommended no longer than a 5k OCI on this motor with a synthetic due to sludge issues he has seen in these motors.
I tend to believe him since inn the past he has pushed to follow the OLM and he knows I do my own oil changes and had nothing to gain by recommending a shorter OCI.

M1 has been my standby synthetic so I was going to try the M1 AFE in this app but is it up to the task? Would it be if I did short 5k mi OCI's? Should I use a 5k OCI or trust the OLM? Keep in mind I don't plan on keeping this vehicle for forever, only the next 6 to 7 years max.

From the OM for those asking about dexos spec and the waranty.

"Notice: Use only engine oil that is approved to the dexos specification or an equivalent engine oil of the appropriate viscosity grade. Engine oils approved to the dexos specification will show the dexos symbol on the container. Failure to use the recommended engine oil or equivalent can result in engine damage not covered by the vehicle warranty. If you are unsure whether your oil is approved to the dexos specification, ask your service provider."

I wonder what they mean by "equivalent"?

If all you intend to do is keep the vehicle to 100K miles or so I'd honestly just do the bare minimum required not to void the warranty. That will be sufficient well past that mileage.

I don't know anything about this dexos spec beyond having heard of it, and can't help you on that one.

These look like some pretty smooth rides though BTW I'm sure your'e having a blast in it and hope it works out well for ya.

Ive had great results running Castrol Edge for 6000 - 8500 miles in an Acadia. I recommend 6 month OCIs for you with 5W-30 Edge in the winter and 10W-30 Edge in the summer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back