09 GMC Acadia - recommended oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted my other vehicle and got some great feedback, so I figured I would post my wife's as well. She drives a 2009 GMC Acadia with about 45K miles. I have always changed the oil every 5K miles and I use Quaker State Syn 5w30. She does mostly city driving. There are no issues with the vehicle at all, but I have read in the past that the Acadia oil breaks down quickly. What do you all think on the oil brand and change schedule?

Also if it matters, I live in Utah, so temps scale from 10 to 100 degrees throughout the year.

Justin

Out of curiosity, when you change the oil at 5000 miles, what is percentage is the Oil Life Monitor usually at?

The best UOA I saw in the 3.6 LLT was rbarrios using Valvoline white bottle in SoCal. The majority I have seen with PP or PU were good as well.

Your 09 should have the extended warranty on the timing chains until 10/120. Change regularly with a high quality oil. I don't know if I would go over 6k even with a synthetic without a UOA....definately not while under the warranty. How often does you OLM trigger and was it reprogrammed?

I have used the QS. GOil is in now and I will sample at my 5K change in late summer. PP or Max life full synthetic is next in line. I also don't have the DI, but my OLM has been shortened dramatically.

VWB for 5k has proven to handle the fuel dilution very well, and also has provided low wear numbers. If you want a synthetic, go with Synpower.
Our bulk oil, Gulfpride AFE, does well in our Hyundai DI Turbo cars.

Last edited:
IF I had your vehicle, I'd stick to a 5,000 OCI mostly due to abnormal timing chain wear issues with the engine. Otherwise, 7,500 in mixed driving would be OK.

My OLM usually hits 0% at around 3,500 miles, but I have had it go to around the 5,000 mark. I don't know much about how it detects when a change is required, is it a preset number or does it have some type of sensor? Should I follow the OLM even though it seems like a ridiculously frequent change interval?

Another point I forgot to mention. She only drives 12-14K miles a year, so my 5K change interval happens every 4-5 months or so. Does the length of time have much of an impact on oil quality?

One more thing that has always confused me. My change engine oil light has only come on once since we have owned it. Every other time the OLM will hit 0%, but I will never get any indication unless I look at the OLM. Curious if the OLM has some glitches with it...

Bartleby,

Great handle, could that be Bartleby the Scrivener?

Your GM OLM is a very sophisticated algorithim that is highly regarded in the industry. You can follow it without worry, as it compensates for your exact environment and driving style.

Note that the change oil light can flash if you are low on oil, and it can come on only momentarily when started or stay on continuously to tell you that it is time to change your oil.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back