Oil analysis question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just switched from Chevron Supreme dino to Schaeffers 7000 Supreme 5W-30 in both my Honda 2000 Accord and my Honda 2002 CRV-EX this weekend. The Accord has 38K and the CRV has 21K miles.

Would I be better off doing an oil analysis when I change the oil next time or should I wait until the 2nd change using the Schaeffers? Or should it even matter?

My wife puts more miles on the CRV and it will be next for a change. I was considering going 5,000 miles and taking a sample for analysis, changing the filter, and topping off until the analysis results come back...hoping to go another 3-5K after that if analysis warrants additional interval. Would if be beneficial (or just wasteful) to do a complete change at 5K and then proceed with this plan the next time around?

You will see better results on a second interval with the same oil, but it doesn't mean you shouldn't do an analysis on the first interval either. I still do it just because I'm curious (and an oil analysis addict!)
grin.gif

Once you've gone to the second interval, the moly will be plated up fully and the second interval will show better numbers for wear, oxidation, TBN retention etc. So it's a better representation of the oil for sure.

[ January 06, 2003, 04:59 PM: Message edited by: Patman ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back