oil 101

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Toy4x4:
Cripes!
shocked.gif
$3.58 a qrt for Mobil1 10w30! Thats a smokin' deal. I thought I had a deal buying the 5qrt jug of M1 10w30 @ $17.88 + tax = $19.25 which is $3.85 a qrt. Qrt bottles are $4.70 at Walmart here.

Anyone know what quality blend 5w30 Walmart carries that he might use instead of a full syn since price is a factor? Pennzoil?

The Pennzoil blend is without Moly for some reason?
Price of M1 Supersyn here is 4.08 per quart at out Walmart,in OKC it is 4.97
The price of Castrol Syntec is almost 5 bucks a quart,and ppl are buying it! Advertising works huh ?
tongue.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
As was mentioned, M1 10w30 flows at -49F, while Castrol GTX 5w30 (which I feel to be one of the better off the shelf dino oils) has a pour point of only -27F.

FYI: Even the M1 15W50 has a pour point of -49*.

ryansride 2017,

You should be able to get a better price on your oil filter. I have the Ecotec 2.2 in my 2002 Grand Am and I checked with the local Chevy,Pontiac and olds dealers parts Dept. One of them sold me the proper filter for $ 5.29.

I also went nearly 6,000 miles before changing oil and the dipstick still read full.

Bill

Patman Administrator Member # 6
I'm just curious but do you happen to work for Torco?

The answer is NO! I see information from Mobil1, Synergyn, Amsoil,Schaeffer this, Schaeffer that, so I added some perspective from Torco.

As I have posted before, I do not even use their oil anymore......even though I believe it is fantastic, I get a better deal on Synergyn 0W-20 which I absolutely recommend......and NO I do not work for Synergyn or any company in the automotive or related fields. I am retired amd trade in the stock market in a small way.

[ December 28, 2002, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: tenderloin ]

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
Patman Administrator Member # 6
I'm just curious but do you happen to work for Torco?

The answer is NO! I see information from Mobil1, Synergyn, Amsoil,Schaeffer this, Schaeffer that, so I added some perspective from Torco.

As I have posted before, I do not even use their oil anymore......even though I believe it is fantastic, I get a better deal on Synergyn 0W-20 which I absolutely recommend......and NO I do not work for Synergyn or any company in the automotive or related fields. I am retired amd trade in the stock market in a small way.

There's no problem with you wanting to diverse the conversation with torco, But the question was IMO somewhat valid as you were throwing Torco up in many of your posts and it really helps to understand why one would be "pushing" one particular brand.

It somewhat appears you're taking offense to the question but look at all your previous posts and you'll see where many are torco based so it somewhat would lead one to believe you may have a vested interest in torco as I with schaeffers, pablo and msparks with amsoil and so on.

What we do like is the di-versed information brought to here as you have done and greatly appreciated so please understand it's not a personal attack on you, just trying to see if someone that represents one such company is visiting us, such as Kevin D with LE, GeorgeCLS with mobil and such. Gives people on the board the opportunity to give focused questions about the said company/products to that rep. We really enjoy having Reps from companies visiting us to clarify mis understandings as well as enlighten all of us on specifics. Thats it, nothing more. So we apologize if you thought we were "interrogating you" but anyone that keeps posting the same data in different threads kind of throws a flag in the air that maybe this person is attached to that company in some way.

From M-1's website, it seems as if M-1 10-30 can be used down to about 14F at which point 5-30 is recommended. I'd either stay with 5-30 all year or use 10-30 in the summer...but, 5-6k oil changes should suffice if using this oil.

The Synthetic 10w30 will probably do fine, although I believe it gets cold out there. You might find that a chat with the manager in the auto section of Wal-Mart might get him to stock 5w30 at the same price. Wholesale-wise, there is usually little, if any, price between the two. They have a policy of ordering what sells. If they don't sell it, it doesn't sell, so they don't sell it.
Although different oils are better than others at lower temps, let's not forget the specific engine. Owners' manuals for some of my cars at our temperatures say 5w30 in some, 15w40 in others, and 20w50 in one. No such thing as "one size fits all".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back