Official CFL cleanup procedure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Guess I'm screwed when we have our 8.0 earthquake.

The last thing you want to worry about in an 8.0 is your CFL at home.

Hey - CFL's can replace my guns!

"Get out of my house, intruder, I have a CFL and I know how to use it!"

Much carry on about nothing.

I've got WAY more mercury in my mouth than any light in my house.

And the dentists who installed them don't seem to be suffering any issues.

Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Congress' mandate that light bulbs be at least 25% more efficient by 2012

I dont understand this....there are already better technologies than CFL. Lets move to LEDs and be done with it. The only problem with LEDs is they last too long. Perhaps companies wont make enough money on 'em.

That's the theory. In real life, they tend to die prematurely. At fifty bucks for a decent bulb, I'd be kind of PO'd if one of these died on me. A three dollar CFL, not so much...

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Based on the rest of your country and their hopeless fear-mongering versus your reasonability, perhaps a dose of mercury would set them straight...
28.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69

Based on the rest of your country and their hopeless fear-mongering versus your reasonability, perhaps a dose of mercury would set them straight...
28.gif

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Originally Posted By: heathenbrewing
Originally Posted By: Tempest
Congress' mandate that light bulbs be at least 25% more efficient by 2012

I dont understand this....there are already better technologies than CFL. Lets move to LEDs and be done with it. The only problem with LEDs is they last too long. Perhaps companies wont make enough money on 'em.

That's the theory. In real life, they tend to die prematurely. At fifty bucks for a decent bulb, I'd be kind of PO'd if one of these died on me. A three dollar CFL, not so much...

28.gif

I must admit, I do not use those LED light bulbs, so I cant comment on their lifespan.

What I use are single LEDs that I wired in parallel myself, similar to the strips which are sold here:

http://www.oznium.com/retail-flexible-leds

In my personal experience, I have been using them pretty much daily for over a year and a half and have not had a single one burn out. I understand most people are not going to put as much effort into lighting as I have, but current single LED technology is actually quite good. The LEDs I used are rated at 30,000 hours and draw 0.2 watts each.

Cold cathodes are another useful product and would require less work (no soldering required) and put off a great deal of light, although they do draw more power (IIRC, a set of 2 12" bulbs uses 6 watts) and are not simply screwed into a bulb socket.

Just wanted to clarify exactly what product I was talking about.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Well, and if people don't like the color rendering of CFLs, LEDs are a LOT worse right now. But they'll get there, or some other technology.

Heck, I seem to recall that GE announced not long ago that it has a new design for a conventional incandescent that will match CFL efficiency.

I'm sure they will have a LED that you can manipulate the color hues on. You can fit several hundred LED's in a small area. Put a bunch of colors and you can change the hue with some sort of control like your TV set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back