Offered 7k trade-in, car sold for 12.5k

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a Sonic Automotive dealer. They partner with ZMAX and MOC for a lot of their service products. Phantom Footprint is probably a anti-theft/GPS tracker for inventory management.
Phantom Footprint is akin to VIN etching on parts. From what I could find, it's a 3M product. So both are probably on the dealer add-on "sucker sticker."

Phantom Footprint is akin to VIN etching on parts. From what I could find, it's a 3M product. So both are probably on the dealer add-on "sucker sticker."
You’re correct. It is a passive anti-theft device, not an actual tracker.

We don't know the following:
1) Were both dealers Subaru or only one or neither?
2) Did you buy another Subaru
3) How do we know that the price difference wasn't added to the new vehicle without knowing what you bought and what you paid for it
As others have said this is business and the dealer is not required to do YOUR best interests.
Both were Toyota dealers. I traded the Subaru for a Toyota. The dealer that offered the higher trade value also had much lower "doc" fees and better pricing. The OTD difference was $4k + with everything factored in.
It was my first time trading a car in and thought l would share the details here.

I have always traded in late model pickup which the dealers are more than happy to give me my price. There used to be there was a "penalty" for trading in a car brand to a competitive brand (trading in a Subaru for a Toyota-for example). However-in the last several years that has basically gone away-with the used car market being what it is.

The car was listed for sale at 12.5 on the dealer website and was gone in one week which l presume indicates it was sold. I'm glad that l rejected the 7k offer and moved on as l also received a lower price on the car elsewhere.
Not much to go on here. Was this a 2010 or 2015? 50,000 or 150,000 miles? Clean or beat up? And the nonsense is no different when people buy your car. Advertise it for $12,500 and expect a bunch of offers for $7K CASH. They always emphasize Cash, as if anybody is dumb enough to take a check from a stranger.

My preference is to buy private and sell private...maximize the sale and minimize the purchase. Never traded before and don't plan to in the future. Have bought dealer though as private sellers are becoming few and far between, especially when looking for something very specific which I always am.

Have bought dealer though as private sellers are becoming few and far between,
You'll find very few late model cars sold by private sellers. If they can afford a new car every 3 or 4 years they won't sweat the lost money from trading in. That, plus many cars are leases which get turned in and go straight to auction.

In the past when buying new cars I've gone to one dealership to see what I could buy the car for with trade in and gone to another dealer to negotiate my best price and have found in some cases I could negotiate a better deal off the sticker price than they'd offer it with trade in. Last time I traded a car in on another car was in 1981 I got as much for it in trade as I'd paid for it about a year earlier. Now that I've got older I usually drive my cars until they're either ready for the junkyard or only worth maybe $1K in a private sale.

Both were Toyota dealers. I traded the Subaru for a Toyota. The dealer that offered the higher trade value also had much lower "doc" fees and better pricing. The OTD difference was $4k + with everything factored in.
It was my first time trading a car in and thought l would share the details here.
Had the same experience with my 2014 Nissan Rogue. They gave me $6700 on a 10K retail vehicle but local market selling prices were
a couple grand higher. I was on the lot and likely sold for over $13K. I would have to put over $1400 in the next month to keep the rogue going and i was ready for a change.
I also thought the engine had a loose grenade pin that could fall out at any moment. I would have private sold it but I couldn't represent it with good conscience, so traded it was for an extremely high economical value lease** so there was no real downside.

** typically an oxymoron

They are in the business of making money. Not making you a good deal.

BTW just because it was listed for 12.5 doesn't mean they sold it for that.
Also, we do not know what kind of money was spent by the dealer to get the car ready so that it could be offered at $12.5k, tires, body work, cleaning are just a few of the things they do to get it ready

Also, we do not know what kind of money was spent by the dealer to get the car ready so that it could be offered at $12.5k, tires, body work, cleaning are just a few of the things they do to get it ready
That usually under $1500 bucks recon with tires and brakes. . Often times they move it to a curbstoner or satellite lot and pocket a grand on a lateral move and have no worries.
The thing to remember is - A NC Dealer has NO obligation to take your trade at KBB wholesale.

If you don't like the offer, walk.

For some odd reason, Cavana wants to give me $13,400 for my 2019 Jetta with 32K.

I paid $15K out the door. It's almost like I have to sell it. But then I'd have to buy another car. I have no car payments and frankly the only other cars I want are either a (cuz I think it looks bad ass) or the new Ford Bronco... neither of which are priced anywhere near $15K out the door, hahaha.

For some odd reason, Cavana wants to give me $13,400 for my 2019 Jetta with 32K.

I paid $15K out the door. It's almost like I have to sell it. But then I'd have to buy another car. I have no car payments and frankly the only other cars I want are either a (cuz I think it looks bad ass) or the new Ford Bronco... neither of which are priced anywhere near $15K out the door, hahaha.
Keep it another year. You got the LOOONG warranty. I turned in my 2019 lease with a $12,6k residual and super low miles.
I Should have kept it. I'm in no better place and out 10Gs.

Do you have the Auto or the 6 speed manual?
HINT: That engine likes a 1/2 litre of 0W40 on top of the 0W20 to make its smooth and powerful.

That sounds about right actually. The dealer is using borrowed money to get your car, and taking the risk of getting a buyer. That's why the auctions are full of cars from the new car dealers, they need to get rid of the debt asap. If they can sell it themselves, they can get lucky, or send it to the auction. I wonder about those Carvana offers, I see the same cars from the dealers selling for less without any negotiations starting. There must be more to it. If people think someone is going to give them retail price for a car that probably has hidden problems and that's why they are selling it, they are being naive I would say.

I had a Subaru Impreza trade-in for my car purchase earlier this month. The local dealer offered 7k trade-in and used every excuse in the book for the low ball offer.
I was offered 9k trade-in at a dealership a few hours away. The 9k was at the very top of KBB trade in value while 7k was below minimum.

The car was listed for sale at 12.5 on the dealer website and was gone in one week which l presume indicates it was sold. I'm glad that l rejected the 7k offer and moved on as l also received a lower price on the car elsewhere.

My first trade in experience in buying a new car was eye opening and a learning experience.
Yeah, my trade in value is about 12k and private party is 15k. If you don't mind a small to large hassle, sell privately. There are pros and cons to both.

For fun I asked what they'd give for my 2017 Corolla at a local dealer. I was shocked, given what I paid. I think it's about as close to an appreciable asset as any car I've ever owned LOL Car and housing market don't make sense right now.

Keep it another year. You got the LOOONG warranty. I turned in my 2019 lease with a $12,6k residual and super low miles.
I Should have kept it. I'm in no better place and out 10Gs.

Do you have the Auto or the 6 speed manual?
HINT: That engine likes a 1/2 litre of 0W40 on top of the 0W20 to make its smooth and powerful.

I have the stick.

I have the stick.
Peppy little thing, isn't it?
I was concerned about the floaty ride. I have managed to bottomed mine on the interstate a few times on whoop-de-doos heading into Boston on I93-S. Never don that on anything before - though I've come close with a Grand Marquis.
Did you have the rear springs replaced under recall? That made mine worse,. I don't think the replacements had the same spring rate.

Peppy little thing, isn't it?
I was concerned about the floaty ride. I have managed to bottomed mine on the interstate a few times on whoop-de-doos heading into Boston on I93-S. Never don that on anything before - though I've come close with a Grand Marquis.
Did you have the rear springs replaced under recall? That made mine worse,. I don't think the replacements had the same spring rate.

I've tracked mine a few times on small race tracks like Atlanta Motorsports Park. On the all-seasons, I was passing cars on the regular. It's a well done suspension for what it is. My driver skill is much higher than the people I was on track with, but they had Corvettes and AMGs... I was impressed. I smoked the living **** out of the brakes, though. Front rotors warped... pads were smoked. Haha.

I like that it has a lot of wheel travel which is a godsend for where I live (in a city).

It did seem to keel over a bit, but then take a set. Not my driving dynamic prescription for sports car handing though; I prefer flat cornering. The complaint ride for its class was quite a plus around town, But it was very underdamped in inrtensive high speed commuting on Massachusettes roads. I would say More French than German in that respect. It is just about a re-badged SEAT Leon also buit on the MQB platform along with Škoda.

here is the Spanish SEAT** interior

** SAY-et.

seat_int.jpg

Hint of what may be next for VW interior styling stateside:
2021-skoda-octavia-interior-beige-black.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back