OEM Timing Belts - do they really break?

In 2007, my stepmother's 2000 Camry 2.2L 4 cylinder had its original timing belt break at almost exactly 120k miles. That was the day we learned it was a non-interference engine.

My family had an old Volvo wagon with a B21A.
When the belt snapped, it just rolled to a stop.
It needed to be towed to the repair shop where they simply installed a new belt and we were on our way.

That car had many problems, but keeping that old redblock running wasn't one of them.

I don’t think climate would matter much. Maaaybe if it’s suuuuper cold but when it comes to heat no matter the outside temp it’s right next to the hot engine which makes far more heat than some warm weather.

I don’t think climate would matter much. Maaaybe if it’s suuuuper cold but when it comes to heat no matter the outside temp it’s right next to the hot engine which makes far more heat than some warm weather.
The heat itself is not a problem, because the materials used in the construction of these belts can absorb it, and still function as they were designed to.

It's the continuous heating / freezing cold cycles that hurt over time. Taking these belts from subzero temperatures to extreme heat, (operating temperatures), is hard on them. Sooner or later something has to give.

It's the same with radiators, water pumps, and heater cores. They all last much longer in warmer climates given equal care.

The constant thermal expansion and contraction is an excellent source for creating leaks. Just as it's hard on belts by making them stiffer and more brittle.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
I believe one broke on my girlfriend's 1973 Pinto. Some belt broke and it quit running and it got replaced.
It did not damage the engine and I think it was a timing belt. Maybe some of you old fogies will know if a '73
Ford Pinto had a timing belt. It was a silver hatchback with MT. Those were the days.

I remember I convinced her to
put Uniroyal tires on it for longevity. When it rained she had to go a different route to get home because one way
there was a particular stop sign on a slight incline. After coming to a stop she could not move forward without
spinning the rear tires. Absolutely no grip on wet pavement. LOL This was when I transitioned to MIchelin.

Is anyone aware of any genuine OEM Toyota timing belt that ever failed, whether it was the result of high mileage or old age? I have heard stories of aftermarket timing belts that broke, but not OEM. Of course, I don't know everything that's going on out there, so that's why I'm asking.
Run them long enough and they will break eventually.

I've seen a few broken ones in junkyards but never experienced one. The only timing belt failure I've personally dealt with is on my dads '97 Corolla, it went at 315,000 miles. When I took everything apart, the belt stripped a few cogs off, and it had cracks between each and every cog, but the belt itself was still in one piece. The tensioner on the other hand was in multiple pieces all over the place, which is actually what likely caused the failure.

I changed the belt in my '01 Sequoia at 90K when it was about 10 years old and it didnt look a whole lot different than the new belt I was replacing it with. The tensioner on the other hand did have noticeable slop in the bearings so I was glad I was changing it.

Not a Toyota, but a buddy of mine has a '98 Ranger pickup with the 2.5 engine. He's got over 275K miles on the original timing belt. I razz him once or twice a year that it needs to be replaced, but he doesn't ever travel too far from home with it, so he's just going to run it until it breaks, if it ever does. It's a non-interference engine, so he won't spend the money on the replacement until he needs to.

The heat itself is not a problem, because the materials used in the construction of these belts can absorb it, and still function as they were designed to.

It's the continuous heating / freezing cold cycles that hurt over time. Taking these belts from subzero temperatures to extreme heat, (operating temperatures), is hard on them. Sooner or later something has to give.

It's the same with radiators, water pumps, and heater cores. They all last much longer in warmer climates given equal care.

The constant thermal expansion and contraction is an excellent source for creating leaks. Just as it's hard on belts by making them stiffer and more brittle.
The tires, belts, hoses and batteries I've driven in Calgary for the last 38 years beg to differ. Tires don't dry rot, rot or crack here. Belts look new after 10+ years. Batteries last many years if they don't freeze while discharged completely. Huge temperature swings are the norm.

Yes, and at 10 years and 97,500 miles just 2 weeks shy of my planned replacement date (had 2 weeks off work coming up and wanted to replace it in that time frame).

Not a toyota, but the factory timing belt on my focus broke at ~230k miles. If I got it replaced when I should have, I'd still have the car. I got lucky it broke at my mom's house and not on one of my roadtrips 2000 miles away.

Since you didn't mention Toyota in your post title, I'll chime in on my 2005 Caravan 2.4L (bought new). Timing belt change interval in the owner's manual is 10 years or 120,000 miles.

My OE belt broke at 99,510 miles, approximately 6.5 years from new. Clean break. Climatically, the van lived in Abilene, TX; Shreveport, LA; central California, and finally San Angelo, TX. Non-interference engine, so replaced with a full Gates kit (including idler, tensioner, and water pump). Took me about 12 hours...but I'm very meticulous and clean everything as I go.

That belt broke in two places on 14 March 2018 at 179,592 miles. Still lasted about 6.5 years, but only went round & round for a shade over 80K miles. During this belt's tenure, the van lived in San Angelo, TX; Tucson, AZ, and metro St. Louis. Replaced with another complete Gates kit.

That belt is happily humming along today at 246,000 miles in Corpus Christi, TX. My lessons learned?

1. The more I do the job, the easier and quicker it is.
2. I actually like the Gates kits.
3. I don't think I'll tempt fate past 6.5 years...and will probably do a pre-emptive change in the summer of '24, at which time I'll probably have 80K on the belt.

So yeah...they break.

View attachment 143677View attachment 143678

I wouldn't keep using Gates belts if they break in 6.5 years/80k miles.

Back