OEM oil filter or other?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually stick with oem BMW filters but considering switching it up. I have an oil change coming up for my F80 would something like a Mann filter be comparable? If the OEM filters are truly better i don’t mind paying more and stopping at the dealership to pick one up but if not then I can just order a Mann filter from amazon which is more convenient and cheaper.

Car manufacturers like BMW and Mercedes don't make filters they buy then in from people like Mann. Any quality branded filter will be fine.

I don’t understand why some people insist that only OEM filters will do. Like somebody else said, the OEM filters are just made by any one of the number of regular oil filter suppliers anyway. I would never pay more for an OEM filter than something like a Fram Ultra that is just as good if not better. In the case of some OEM filters, like AC Delco for GM products, I would specifically steer away from their e-core construction. Been there, done that. OEM is overrated.

Originally Posted By: cheesepuffs
OEM is overrated.

Not when they're always available after a quick drive to the dealer. OEM for $10 or $8 for Mann and a wait?

Guaranteed quality. Maybe the filter design was updated? New o-ring material? I seent it.

You own an F80 and you’re worrying about the price difference of oil filters?

Anyways, Mann is a quality filter. Best OEM alternative in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

No shame in getting the best price for the same level of quality. A penny saved is a penny earned, when the level of quality is consistent.

Originally Posted By: gatorfast
I usually stick with oem BMW filters but considering switching it up. I have an oil change coming up for my F80 would something like a Mann filter be comparable? If the OEM filters are truly better i don’t mind paying more and stopping at the dealership to pick one up but if not then I can just order a Mann filter from amazon which is more convenient and cheaper.

I stop at dealership and get OEM.
Reason for that is that BMW is using different suppliers for different engines. On my M57 engine OEM is Mahle. Mann has filter for it but looks cheaper, as it is missing rubber enforcement (enforcement is made from paper). On other hand MANN is OEM on N55 engine in my generation X5 (E70).
But I think for F80 OEM filter is made by MANN.

the air filter box on the 528e has Purolater stamped on it. Mann or Mahle is the usual standard. I bought STP filters and had no problems .

I am not “worrying” about the price difference, simply inquiring as to any quality difference. Price/availability would just be a bonus if quality were the same.

Thanks everyone, I’ll stick with OEM.

Just found a vendor online offering the OEM filters at $10 with cheap shipping. Ordered 3 so I’ll be good for a while
thumbsup2.gif

I put a Mahle in my Mini (BMW B46 engine) for its first “intermediate” oil change between dealer services. It happens that the OEM/factory filter was the exact same Mahle model...

Mann is an OEM for various European makes, along with Mahle and Hengst.

I don't think people know what OEM means... it's Original Equipment Manufacturer. The big 3 OEM's are listed for European automakers. The automakers will order from the big companies, and make sure as part of their order, have their logo stamped on it, so that the automakers can mark up the price on them.

iirc, I think BMW tends to use Mahle.

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
iirc, I think BMW tends to use Mahle.

It's been a toss-up. It was Purolator in the 80's, and has been Mahle or Mann depending on application.

You're right about the abbreviation, but a little wrong about the definition. OEM parts come in a branded box (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc) and OES (original equipment supplier) would be your Mann, Mahle, Hengst branded filters.

Splitting hairs, I know - but it's why we're here. Do the parts that make it into OEM boxes have the same specs as OES? Do they have an additional level of quality control? Don't know - maybe.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It's been a toss-up. It was Purolator in the 80's, and has been Mahle or Mann depending on application.

You're right about the abbreviation, but a little wrong about the definition. OEM parts come in a branded box (BMW, Mercedes, Porsche, etc) and OES (original equipment supplier) would be your Mann, Mahle, Hengst branded filters.

Splitting hairs, I know - but it's why we're here. Do the parts that make it into OEM boxes have the same specs as OES? Do they have an additional level of quality control? Don't know - maybe.

That is my understanding as well. OEM is brands like BMW, MB, etc., while “OE” is brands like Mann, Lemforder, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW

That is my understanding as well. OEM is brands like BMW, MB, etc., while “OE” is brands like Mann, Lemforder, etc.

MB, BMW, VW, Audi, etc don't manufacture the oil filters, air filters, etc. They have contracts with Mann, Mahle, Sachs, etc to produce parts to meet their specifications and have licensing agreement to allow them to sell the identical product as an aftermarket item. The automakers in certain cases are also the manufacturer of parts, such as when they stamp body panels for the factory and to sell as replacement parts. Do you insist the MB, BMW, VW, Audi, etc are also the manufacturer of oil too? Hey, it comes in their branded container, so they must be the manufacturer, not Castrol, Shell, etc.

To prevent single point failures for parts, automarkers will use multiple suppliers, so they can award multiple contracts for things like oil filters, air filters, etc to Mann, Mahle and Hengst at the same time.

OES is usually used interchangeably with OEM, as the supplier of the part to the automaker is the manufacturer. Another confusing way to look at it, the supplier to the dealership parts department is the automaker's parts distribution network, ie themselves.

My VW dealership tried that definition on me. You didn't use VW D3S bulbs. I told them I used Osram D3S bulbs, which is the OE Manufacturer for VW. I told them, pull a VW D3S bulb from the shelves, and you'll see it's a Osram bulb with no VW/Audi markings (just the box will have the VW/Audi markings).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back