OEM Independent Rear Suspension

Hey everyone,

Just kicking an idea around in my head for a car project that would require an independent rear suspension. In your opinion what is a good late model IRS from an OEM? Not worried about trackwidth or anything else as it doesn't need to bolt/weld up to a current frame setup. Only real requirement is that it can handle some horsepower (maybe up to 700) and ride somewhat comfortably. Looking to go on some road course events and some limited drag racing, so not really interested in a solid axle.

Aftermarket IRS setups are out of my price range, Heidts has one for $10k, eBay has a 2015 Mustang IRS for less than $2k.

Thanks

What is the project? I want to build a Factory Five Type 65 coupe (think Shelby Daytona coupe) and use a GT-350R/GT-500 center section/uprights in the FF IRS.

Kyle Larson into the tire barrier on the exit to the oval. Then a 3 car pinball on the front stretch resulting in the 18 car hitting the wall, no caution.

EDIT: wrong thread sorry

Last edited:
the 8.8 IRS isn’t particularly late model but relatively modern (no double duty axles) and probably one of the easier ones to adapt. in a kart don’t see why it wouldn’t hold up to 600whp

You'll want a 5-link setup. Get one with the arms as long as possible. The last gen RX7, for example, has a 5-link suspension, but the arms are too short.
Cars that come to mind: MkIII Supra, MkIV Supra, Lexus SC300 or IS300 (1st gen), Nissan 350Z. I've not looked under anything else, like the Mustang. That's the idea, though.

Back