oem Honda 0w20 , 55000km ,2018 Honda Civic 1.5T

So i had my first oil analysis done since my warrenty now is over and the car had oil dillution problems in the past.
This was the oem 0w20 honda 2.0 motor oil and was in the engine for 10409km .The car has 55000km now .
According to the lab guys the wear is normal but the fuel content is high (4%) and should be looked into .Isn't the wear metals also high ?
From what i've seen from others the wear metals seem lower .
I changed the oil when i took the sample and i'm now using Mobil 1 0w30 ESP LV because my engine requires a ACEA B3/A3 or ACEA B5/A5 oil that either is 0w20 ,0w30 or 5w30.
012.jpg

Yes 22 is high for these engines so use a thicker oil from now on. That 0w-30 is good. I run 30 grade in my civic and it's not GDI.

Yes 22 is high for these engines so use a thicker oil from now on. That 0w-30 is good. I run 30 grade in my civic and it's not GDI.
Yeah i thought so the iron of 22 was high .I'm now using 0w30 M1 .I'll maybe get the car tuned that will solve the Fuel problem ,these cars run rich from factory and honda isn't doing anything about it in europe.The USA and China got updates done to solve the problem.
I don't drive short distances so that isn't the problem.

Yeah i thought so the iron of 22 was high .I'm now using 0w30 M1 .I'll maybe get the car tuned that will solve the Fuel problem ,these cars run rich from factory and honda isn't doing anything about it in europe.The USA and China got updates done to solve the problem.
That's ridiculous. If that's the case then yeah have it updated.

The updates didn't solve the problem, FWIW.

22ppm in 10,000km is just fine. No two engines have the same wear signature and neither will any two oils. Remember, this is just a measure of a narrow spectrum of particle sizes, roughly around and below 5 microns and there are many different ways those particles can get into the oil including corrosion, chelation and of course physical wear. One cannot just look at PPM and assume one engine/oil combo is doing "better" than another, that's not the purpose of the tool.

Your fuel dilution at 4% is actually pretty good compared to some of these engines, lol.

What is your driving routine? Lots of city driving?
No not at all .I drive lots of highway every day 20min of driving on the highway in the morning and evening as well.
This is a common problem on these new 1.5t engines from honda.It's the fuel trims that are too high and in the winter it's even worse .Most people who are tuned don't have those problems anymore.
I had a engine light come on and dissappear several times in winter time because the oil level raised above max.At one point the honda dealer drained 4L of oil out of my engine when there only goes 3.5L in.
It was all documented and send to honda europe which said "as long as there are no DTC's stored the engine can cope with it"...
So they don't do sh*t about it.Luckly I asked the dealer to change my oil every 10000km or earlier to cope with this dilution.
The suggested interval is 20000km ...

This is a good analysis. You can See that the engine will be Fine if the viscosity at 6.xx cs. You do net Need a trickst Engine oil i think, but the mobil 1 esp lv 0W30 is a very good one.
The honda 0W20 comes pur from idemitsu lubricants and Shows Moly by 600 if it is new.

So it's been a while since my first oil analysis .I got my second analysis done .This time did it after 7500km and i used Mobil 1 0w30 ESP LV.
Total milage now is 65000Km.

Again there is the 4% fuel in there which also dilluted the 30weight down to aprox. a 20weight .After this oil change i swapped out the oem airbox for a modified oem one (from a si) which altered my long term fuel trims from -7% -8% down to 0 -1% LTFT .I hope this will drop the fuel amount down to less then 1%.The oem airbox/ engine continuously runs rich and needs to take out fuel all the time ( -7% ) .
I also noticed there is much less moly in the mobil 1 oil vs the oem honda oil.
oil test 2.jpg

oil test 2.1.jpg

Last edited:
With mobil 1 oils, the content of molybdenum is actually always below 100, usually about 80. The original honda Engine Type 2.0 0W20 is between 640-700 approximately. You can see a marginal difference in iron wear, but the percentage of aluminum wear has increased, but copper has also improved. However, this is on such a small scale that you cannot say whether an oil worked "better or worse". Due to the relatively high fuel input, I would stick to the SAE30 oil, even if the standard oil would probably not cause your engine to wear out earlier. Thank you for your analysis.

If I could give another top. Try the amsoil Signature Series 5W30 in this engine, it works really well. There are many long-term analyses.

With mobil 1 oils, the content of molybdenum is actually always below 100, usually about 80. The original honda Engine Type 2.0 0W20 is between 640-700 approximately. You can see a marginal difference in iron wear, but the percentage of aluminum wear has increased, but copper has also improved. However, this is on such a small scale that you cannot say whether an oil worked "better or worse". Due to the relatively high fuel input, I would stick to the SAE30 oil, even if the standard oil would probably not cause your engine to wear out earlier. Thank you for your analysis.
Im not sure if you're reading this right but iron went down from 22 to 12 which is pretty big difference ( to me atleast) and aluminium went down from 5 to 4 .So that didn't increased it decreased actually.Or i am reading this all wrong...
Im not fond on using a higher winter rating so 5w30 is a no for me,unless i would only track drive this car.
I use this car as a daily and drive it all winter too.

You have to calculate the whole thing down to 1000 kilometres. The old analysis was carried out 3000 kilometres longer. A final statement about good or bad cannot be drawn from it.

I never said oil would fix the dilution .I said the air intake would .It changes the fuel trims which will prevent how much fuel gets injected into cylinder,and how much correction the engine has to make to have a perfect A/F mixture.Which also changes how much fuel that gets pass the cylinders and into the oil.It will always have some fuel dillution since its DI but 4% is too much since most others with the same engine have less then 0.5%.
I changed the oil because i didn't want to buy the expensive oem honda oil.So i switched to something which was cheaper and easy to get by and equally good .

Last edited:
Back