oem Honda 0w20 , 55000km ,2018 Honda Civic 1.5T

[QUOTE="I Let's not get too crazy here. If they were brilliant, they wouldn't be having fuel dilution issues to the extent they're having.
[/QUOTE]
Agree. I got 4.0% by driving 90% highway. Some people may say that Honda designed engines to run with high dilution, but that sounds like BS

Agree. I got 4.0% by driving 90% highway. Some people may say that Honda designed engines to run with high dilution, but that sounds like BS
Yeah, that's just an attempt to give Honda a pass because they are emotionally invested in the perception of the brand.

Whether fuel dilution or not, the engines still run absolutely great and very durable. There are already several with over 400000 miles. This speaks of proper quality and that with "water oil" and high dilution and 0W20. Japanese can build engines.

If I owned one of those engines, I would use 5W-30 which would give a HTHS cushion to the shearing from fuel dilution.
Also, I would change the oil much more frequently, perhaps every 3k miles, so that any gasoline in the oil would be drained out after 3k miles,
and won't have time to build up to a large percentage of dilution.

I'd be running 0w40 if I had one of these, of course, I also live in Central Texas where 40C is common in the summertime and 25C common in the wintertime.

With that cold spell right before Christmas excepted, saw -11c for a day, but I just stayed home.

Whether fuel dilution or not, the engines still run absolutely great and very durable. There are already several with over 400000 miles. This speaks of proper quality and that with "water oil" and high dilution and 0W20. Japanese can build engines.
The high mileage examples are typically not the ones suffering from massive amounts of fuel dilution. It's the nature of the duty cycle, engines that are short tripped or driven moderate mileage are the ones that will experience the most fuel dilution.

The high mileage examples are typically not the ones suffering from massive amounts of fuel dilution. It's the nature of the duty cycle, engines that are short tripped or driven moderate mileage are the ones that will experience the most fuel dilution.

Yep, the 2.0t was first produced in 2018, so these engines have 4-5yrs of history. Given COVID shutdown, I bet average people have only 40-50k miles on them.

Back