OCI Question

2023 Acadia 2.0t. Maybe 7.5k miles per year. Using M1.

5k OCI or 6 months…or something else? M1 or something else?

Appreciate your thoughts.

Another vote for every 6mo on this engine. Quality oil with quality filter and good to go. I would use 5-30 but 0/5-20 with what I wrote should bot be a-ok.

A question nobody's asked yet.
What is the oil capacity in that 2.0t? Do you mostly drive city or highway.
That may help determine OCI length.

I hope this isn't the only engine offered with the 2023+ Traverse, Acadia and Enclave.
edit.... I just looked online. The 3.6 V6 DOHC is still available for 2023/24. With first & last owner mentality, I steer far & wide from anything turbo.

If it weren't for the wife's now deceased parents stock venture into Hyunkia this past decade, we would have steered far & wide from anything Hyunkia. I really wanted one Honda and one Toyota last time buying.

Now that the parent's notable stock was moved by Morgan Stanley Inv.(by our asking), we are no longer committed to those brands.

Last edited:
A question nobody's asked yet.
What is the oil capacity in that 2.0t? Do you mostly drive city or highway.
That may help determine OCI length.

I hope this isn't the only engine offered with the 2023+ Traverse, Acadia and Enclave.
edit.... I just looked online. The 3.6 V6 DOHC is still available for 2023/24. With first & last owner mentality, I steer far & wide from anything turbo.

If it weren't for the wife's now deceased parents stock venture into Hyunkia this past decade, we would have steered far & wide from anything Hyunkia. I really wanted one Honda and one Toyota last time buying.

Now that the parent's notable stock was moved by Morgan Stanley Inv.(by our asking), we are no longer committed to those brands.

As an investment, I'd agree with your assessment, but most auto manufacturers have had similar rocky rides in the market--I'd steer clear of any auto manufacturer as an investment. . .there are just too many destabilizing factors in that industry.

As for the product itself. . . H/K is just fine in my opinion-- the dealer makes the biggest difference in the owner experience.

Thanks all. We had an Acadia 3.6 before this. Great vehicle. I went with the 2.0 because we road trip it a lot and frankly, at time of purchase, it’s the only way I could get the features I wanted.

Versus my wife’s Atlas 2.0t, I’d take the Acadia every day. Engine feels like it’s working very little compared to the atlas, engine is quieter, and the trans is miles better.

M1EP or Valvoline EP (M1 if you plan to do long drains, valvoline if you can do shorter drains, simply because valvoline will be around 5$ cheaper per 5qt).
Also as many note around the forum, valvoline runs quieter, not sure why? But I agree from my own experience. Maybe the excessive amounts of moly is what does it.

I would do an used oil analysis (UOA) and see what your fuel dilution is at 5k miles. GDI turbo engines are notorious for this, and if you don't drive a lot, that gas will be sitting in your oil for extended periods of time, slowly breaking down the chemical bonds of the oil. Fuel dilution on gdi turbo engines is less of an issue in warm climates with lots of highway miles where the oil can get up to temperature to vapor off the excess fuel, but if you are doing so little miles your engine will probably be perpetualy trapped in a state of "lukewarm".

Thus I am a big proponent of running no less than a 30 weight oil in turbo gdi vehicles to offset the fuel dilution issues. If you don't live in freezing climates (and you are above 32F/0C for the majority of the year like I am) then a 5w30 is great, otherwise a 0w30. In the winter you can switch to 0w20.

Also, really, you can skip all this and any oil that meets the specifications in your owners manual will do fine with 5k oil changes. Drain fill and forget.

Back