OCI and high oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an engine that burns almost 1L of oil per 1000km. This results in me frequently topping off the oil. I'm wondering what effect this would have on the OCI (10,000km in service book). The car doesn't do many miles, it takes about 2 years to do 6000km. Would it be safe to just keep topping the oil up and do an oil and filter change at 10k/3yrs given that it does hardly any short trips.

I'm running Penrite Everyday 15w40 but have some Shell HX7 10w40 lined up for the next oil change. I don't want to use a thicker oil as the engine runs extremely quiet and it may loose a bit of performance.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
That's massive oil consumption. You're safe just topping it off I think.

If driven gently the consumption is a lot less. Wouldn't sludge and fuel build up over time without draining the sump?

It'll be fine. You're topping off the oil pretty often, so that will help. If you're worried, change it every 2 years. Having driven a Niva (many years ago), I can see why you'd be worried about performance dropping off!

My Dodge burns a quart every 700 miles. I keep it topped off with the cheapest oil and use a NAPA silver filter. I only change the filter every 5-6 K miles. With the additives being replenished so often, I see no reason to do a complete change.

Used to have a cheap 20w50 in there and changing to 10w40 seemed to make an improvement in performance. Its only got 75hp a lot of which is lost in the full-time AWD setup, combine this with having the aerodynamics of a brick and it's not hard to see why I can't afford to loose a few hp.

I would just keep topping it up, plenty of UK Lada owners wouldn't think you had excessive oil consumption.
If it leaking oil then you are keeping the oil in grade better than if you never had to top it up. If it is burning oil pasr worn bores or rings then your engine will be getting more than it's fair share of blow-by contamination, in which case I would change the oil every 6k.

Have you surprised some of your 4x4 owning buddies with its off road ability?.

Claud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back