OCI 5w30 TSC Oil - Now Noisy

Changed out my OCI 2 weeks ago with 5w30 Traveller Full Syn & using a Fram Extra Guard filter. I understand that WP oil products package this brand for TSC. I added 1 quart of 10w30 to make it a little thicker.

Now my 4.7 v-8 (2005 Jeep with 90k original miles) is making 'sloshing' sound like a noisy valve train/chain or possible piston slap?

I've never had this issues with Pennzoil or Havoline HM oil that I've used in the past.

Should I be concerned? Or just dump this 5w30 Traveller and start again? Temps here in summer are from 75 to 105.

EM

Doubt it's the oil filter unless he's talking only noisy on an initial cold start-up after sitting for hours (ie, leaking ADBV). If it's always noisy when hot, it's not the oil filter. PD oil pump.

Or just dump this 5w30 Traveller and start again?
This is the only thing you can do to test if it's the oil or something else. Leave the current oil filter on the engine - change only the oil back to what was not noisy. That's how you test one variable at a time.

I believe that engine is spec’d for 10w30 anyway due to shear concerns with the 5w30s of the time. But as mentioned adding a quart of 10w30 did nothing.

I’d be shopping for a thicker 30 grade myself, like a Euro oil.

It’s probably not the oil making the noise but that said I’ve definitely noticed differences between some oils in engine tone, I’d not equate that with anything remotely related to actual engine protection though. Nevertheless a smooth quiet running engine is pleasing to a car guy.

Squeaking continued..and later that same week the OEM water pump was starting to leak coolant.

Replaced the pump, both hoses, thermostat, fan clutch and new Hoat coolant.

No more noise & running smooth at idle and on the road. Whodda thunk it?

Back