OCI-3,000 mile/Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
Actually, mileage is irrelavent to short-trippers. Take the 1-2 miles commuter example, can they go 8k on dino? imo time is the best indicator of change intervals. For me, it's 4 months...on whatever oil I feel I need based on mileage, value of the car and conditons encounterd.

AU, all other things being equal, at what point does mileage become more important than time? If I drive 2500 miles per month, all highway, is it okay to drive 10K miles (= 4 months in your case) on a good dino oil, synthetic, or other? Would you stick with the 4-month oci even then, or at what point would you change? Not trying to be smart...I really want to know your opinion...

Cheers!

Im doing 5k OCI with syn. It is because of warranty. Once warranty is up, the OCi is going to 8k an dthen hopefully to 10K.

Yeah, I'm really upset Toyota went down to 5k OCI from 7500 while Honda went on to 10k. I hate having to do 5k OCI on my Corolla just to keep the warranty. 50k more miles to go on the warranty.

quote:

Originally posted by Dually:
Does anyone here on this site change their oil every 3,000 miles or three months with syntheic oil?I was at the Castrol site and they recommend 3,000 mile/3 months OCI even with synthetic.Do other oil companies recommend the same OCI?Thanks Joe
patriot.gif

I would only reccomend it in true worst case scenario applications.
There are about 4 gas engines that burn the HE double hockeysticks out of their oil.
In those applications in city driving I would reccomend synthetic at 3000 miles.
If you operated a farm truck at high load under dusty conditions without dual bypass filtration, I might recommend it, although I'd rather see a UOA and check the silicon before going that far, and in that application I'd probably suggest conventional.

A few years ago I used to do 3k changes with synthetic, but now a 6k interval feels short to me! (which is exactly the interval I'm going to be doing on my car right now since I want to make sure my Vararam cold air kit isn't letting in too much dirt, but if the UOA looks ok I'll go back to longer intervals again)

quote:

Originally posted by Grossomotto:
"OCI of 3k with dino is ridiculous"

Then 3k or less OCI with a Synthetic would be ludicrous! My last change with synth was 2600 miles. The reason because of a winter-short trip-fuel dillution issue.

There are many reasons for differing OCIs and oil uses.

If I had a fuel dilution issue that required a change at 2600 miles, I would use a cheap dino until I could have the engine repaired. In my previous, unretired life, I used synthetic, M1, and did yearly oil changes at about 20,000 miles. I did this for more than 25 years, and never had a sludged engine or any other lubrication problem. Now, retired, doing about 5,000 miles a year, I have gone back to dino, changed every 6 months regardless of miles.

Anyone draining your full syn at 3K or less, please ship it to me. I will pay for the shipping. This oil is probably still better than unused dino.

quote:

Originally posted by John_E:

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
Toyota says 5000 miles or 6 months.

They may be knowledgeable.

Since each of my cars gets driven about 6k mi / 10k km per year, that's consistent with my current practice.
smile.gif

I'm missing something on the math here. Just to clarify, which part of the recommendation are you consistant with? The 6 months part or the 5000 miles part?
dunno.gif
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by jayjr98:
Wow has M1-synthetic really been around for 25 years?

Longer, actually. I know it was out in 1978; I'm looking at a full page ad for it in the August 1978 issue of Motor Trend, extolling its ability to go 25,000 miles.

I believed them, and promptly started doing 1 year OCI's, which usually meant 20,000 miles in my case. After a few years, they quit advertising that 25,000 mile claim. Reason I heard was that some people were not checking and maintaining the proper oil level for 25,000 miles and were ruining their engines. I usually kept my cars for 5 to 7 years, and up to 140,000 miles, and never had a worn out engine.

What I can't figure out is: What did they do to this new Mobil 1 EP that makes it only last 15,000 miles?

"OCI of 3k with dino is ridiculous"

Then 3k or less OCI with a Synthetic would be ludicrous! My last change with synth was 2600 miles. The reason because of a winter-short trip-fuel dillution issue.

There are many reasons for differing OCIs and oil uses.

quote:

Originally posted by bottgers:
Anyone draining your full syn at 3K or less, please ship it to me. I will pay for the shipping. This oil is probably still better than unused dino.

You are probably correct. Many years ago, Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazine had an article on synthetic oil, and they said that synthetic oil was as good with 10,000 miles on it as regular oil was with 0 miles on it. They must have been right. My M1 with 10,000 miles on it always had another 10,000 miles to go.

I have followed this 3000-4000 OCI with Mobil One..But, only because i have a very high performance engine putting out 800 hp, and it gets driven! For the average car, it would be a total waste imo....I may be over doing it with my current OCI, but it is cheap peace of mind...
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:

quote:

Originally posted by John_E:

quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
Toyota says 5000 miles or 6 months.

Since each of my cars gets driven about 6k mi / 10k km per year, that's consistent with my current practice.
smile.gif

I'm missing something on the math here. Just to clarify, which part of the recommendation are you consistant with? The 6 months part or the 5000 miles part?

The semiannual time interval, because of urban driving.

quote:

Originally posted by 1999nick:

quote:

Originally posted by jayjr98:
Wow has M1-synthetic really been around for 25 years?

Longer, actually. I know it was out in 1978; I'm looking at a full page ad for it in the August 1978 issue of Motor Trend, extolling its ability to go 25,000 miles.

I think Mobil1 first came out in 1974. AMSOIL beat them by a year (1973).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back