OCI-3,000 mile/Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone here on this site change their oil every 3,000 miles or three months with syntheic oil?I was at the Castrol site and they recommend 3,000 mile/3 months OCI even with synthetic.Do other oil companies recommend the same OCI?Thanks Joe
patriot.gif

I was just looking at some UOAs and it see SO many short OCIs....doing a UOA after 2000-3000 miles is even more insane, imo.

This kind of squares with what I added to another thread the other day:

quote:

I've been a 3000 mile OCI'r for my whole history as a DIY'r with M-1 and until a year ago, Frams. Fact is, the oil was so "dirty" in my last car (it was a very clean running Hyundai 1.6l 4 cyl with 160K) that I felt compelled to change it. Before BITOG, the concept of long OCI was alien and unfathomable, but that's marketing, I guess. The oil is "dirty", so you change it, right? What did I know? What does ANYONE know that doesn't find a venue such as the BITOG?

However, the oil, oil filter, and quick change industry simply isn't going to promulgate the idea that the oil isn't really so dirty after all, and of course, we here know that it's really just getting warmed up. So, outside this venue, how does the rest of the oil-changing world get the word? From reading here, I've reformed my opinion (and OCI-related behavior) based on the testimony (and UOA) of a lot of folks in the know that reside right here and nowhere else.

So, hereafter, in my new car I purchased, it's 7500 OCI with M-1 Syn with a dask of VSOT, and no more Frams. This dinky little Hyundai I just bought isn't stressing the oil on any level, so I hear, and I would be happy to go 10K, and may, based on 7500 mile UOA that I'll run. If I get a good TBN number, I'll go longer. The fact that this new car is a messy pig to get to the oil filter on is further incentive. I think the trend here IS to go longer OCI. Much longer, and, on Dino. I've been chided many times that syn is a waste of money even at 7500 mile OCI.

Out in the greater world, however, the old ways are still being perpetuated. NO ONE in the oil change industry from the dealer, the oil companies, filter-folks, parts stores, Jiffy-Lube, and all the rest is EVER going to suggest or push a "radical" new theory of a basic car-care tenent such as longer OCI when their business could instantly, or nearly so, be cut by two thirds. In fact, I think they'd do everything they could to squelch the idea of long OCI at every level of advertising there is.

Longer OCI is a very well-kept secret, and it will continue to be so for a long time. Folks who would like to look for conspiracies in the oil industry regarding gasoline prices would be better served looking for a far wider "conspiracy" (if not as intrinsically critical to the economy) involving all of the many elements of the oil change industry. These folks after all, are deliberately (if understandably) keeping people in the dark regarding longer OCI. Which of course, is getting them into the parts store, garage, and quick change shops at least two or three times a year more than is necessary. In a new age of short oil supplies and concern for the environment, one would think folks in the know would speak up, wouldn't one?

Does anyone have any guess as to the what and the when the oil change industry is going to start talking the truth, which apparantly is that 3000 mile OCI is unnecessary far more than it's necessary? They aren't doing a caveat that 3000 mile OCI is for severe service, they're pushing the old school line developed long before the oil technology and metalurgy of modern times that EVERYONE MUST change their oil every 3000 miles. There you have it. And that's only one element of the oil change-industry, the oil companies. On top of that, you have the quick-change shops, dealers, parts stores and filter-folks all drumming the same false concept into the heads of consumers who know no better.

THAT'S a scam. They should all be proud!

Hey, they're in business to make money...and...well, most investor's are doing so to make some as well. Something I have to put-up with at my work place where it would seem that "doing the right thing" just isn't so clear...

offtopic.gif

...It's like a parent-child relationship where those in management are the children and their employees are the parents...the children need their parents to meet their "needs" and the parents comply in an effort to prevent the trantums from going any further/longer, so they (the parents) can go on with trying to get the everyday needs taken care of. Pulling one's hair out does no good unless you want to spend the money for future haircuts elsewhere.

"Truths shall present themselves. Many think short-term, few long-term when justifying their actions."

Thanks, I feel a little better!

I know a guy who has a werked A4 and changes M1 0w-40 every 3k. I went round-and-round with him, he thinks he'll avoid sludge or whatever. If you crunch the numbers on a normal car after 100+k, you could have money for a real service like timing belt or struts, not paranoid oil service.

I think the OLMs being installed in new cars is a step towards everyone using longer OCIs. At least a few manufacturers are stepping up and saying that 3k changes aren't needed anymore, for their vehicles anyway. Give it another 5-10 years and there may be a definite drop in oil changing as people learn to trust their OLM.

If an oil is going to shear, it starts doing so immediately. It may take 1200 miles before it is detectable, but, there is nothing majic about a certain mileage where BOOM! we now have "shear". All the while, there are changes going on that can thicken oil...these attenuate shear to some degree. I'm not certain you can even say one given oil will, in all engines, under all conditions, be a NET thinner or thicker oil by change-out. It depends upon many factors!

Besides, there are some oils that may barely budge in their viscosity measurement...those with the fewest viscosity index improvers and fewest pour point depressants would be my guess.

I can't think of anyone that I've discussed OCI's with, both men and women, who doesn't still use the 3,000 mi. OCI. I used to argue with them and give them all the standard arguments and never got anywhere with them. The 3,000 mi. OCI myth is so ingrained in them that no amount of evidence and reason will make a dent in their opinion. Its like arguing abortion or gun control. Their mind's made up and that's it. I no longer waste my time on discussing it with them. Let them pay the price of their self-imposed ignorance. The sad thing is that almost all of them pay a dealer, service shop, or quick lube shop to do the work and thus usually get a cheap dino oil and cheap filter and pay about what I pay, or more, to do my own changes with M1 EP and a WIX or Pure One.

quote:

Originally posted by Dually:
Does anyone here on this site change their oil every 3,000 miles or three months with syntheic oil?

I occasionally run synthetic in my wife's Expedition. I always say I'm going to run it for 5k. What usually happens is it takes my wife FOREVER to go 5k miles, so I wind up changing it after 3k miles, or approx every 4 months. It gives me something to do in the man-cave. Actually, I'm glad she doesn't put many miles on the Expedition; it helps to keep the fuel bill low-ish.

quote:

Originally posted by Dually:
....I was at the Castrol site and they recommend 3,000 mile/3 months OCI even with synthetic. Do other oil companies recommend the same OCI?Thanks Joe
patriot.gif

I know that Quaker State has the same 3k mile/3 month recommendation on their website. I'm sure there are others.....

Unless you are doing extended oil change intervals, there is no point in using synthetic motor oil. A possible exception would be if you have a turbo. If you are doing oil changes in the 3,000 to 5,000 mile range, most engines will last 200,000 to 300,000 miles, i.e., longer than most people will want to keep a car, using most any name brand dino.

Before I retired about 5 years ago, I always put approximately 20,000 miles a year on my main car, and changed the oil once a year using Mobil 1. I never kept a car more than 6 or 7 years then, and the engines were always nice and quiet at the 140,000 miles they usually had on them.

I used Mobil 1 from the time it originally came out and was recommended for 1 year or 25,000 mile OCI's. It was 5w20 back in those days. 20,000 mile OCI's served me well. M1 dropped the 25,000 mile recommendation somewhere along the line; seems like I heard there were complaints from people that did not bother to check their oil level and ended up ruining their engines.

I am now retired, putting 5,000 miles or less per year on my car. I have been using dino, changing it every 6 months regardless of mileage. I see no sense in using synthetic, given my present usage.

you won't find anyone smart enough to reveal they do 3k oci with syn; they will get flamed. the only thing close enough that I can think of is those who did 3k with dino for the ultimate protection..came here and discovered syn and go to 5k with syn; same crowd.
lol.gif

3000 mile oil change intervals with synthetic are actually abbreviated OCD. Yep, I've done it. Makes no sense at all . . . except that it was to use up some oil and I didn't want to mess up my "Change it every even multiple of 3K" reminder system for conventional oil . . . which doesn't make much sense either.

Big (Call me crazy) Al

I'm one of the crazy folks.

In my '03 Civic (wife's) I change it every 6 months or 5k, whichever comes first. She drives 3.5 miles each way to work way and so the oil doesn't get up to a high temp. It's about 2.7k every 6 months.

I'm using M1 5-20 and the M1 110 EP filter with 2 oz of AR-x. Just changed it yesterday - 17,132 miles total in almost 3 years.

[wraps self in asbestos suit. asbestos briefs firmly in place. taps fingers waiting for firestorm.]

Actually, mileage is irrelavent to short-trippers. Take the 1-2 miles commuter example, can they go 8k on dino? imo time is the best indicator of change intervals. For me, it's 4 months...on whatever oil I feel I need based on mileage, value of the car and conditons encounterd.

engine: 2001 VW/Audi 1.8T, longitudinal (4.2 qt. sump with oversize filter) coke ("sludge") monster

driving style: mostly city/suburbs

OCI: 6 months or 3k mi / 5k km

oil: Mobil 1 0W-40

However, I have a Blackstone labs kit ready for a UOA at the next oil change, to see if I can stretch this somewhat.

1994 LS400: 1 year 13-15k miles, Mobil1 and Motorcraft over-sized filter
2000 E430: 1 year 12-13k miles, Mobil1 and Mann filter
2004 S2000: 1 year 6-7k miles, Mobil1 and Honda PCX filter.

After running out of Mobil1 stock piles bought last year with buy 3 get 3 free Pepboys coupons, will try Pennzoil Platinum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back