Occasionally almost rear ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is much easier to ignore physics, momentum, and many of the basics of safe driving when all you have to do is slam the go pedal. There's nothing overly skillful about driving a at, but you get an intrinsic feel for the physics of motion due to the shifting and pauses.

I e nearly gotten rear ended even driving AT cars. Too many idiots slamming on the go pedal and driving too hard/fast.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My TDI has a DSG automatic that downshifts by itself when you let off the gas pedal, like it REALLY slows down and I hardly ever have to use the brakes. People aren't too thrilled when I'm slowing down for a red light without touching the brakes. Screw em'.

A lot of AT's do something similar to this; people simply don't know how to drive properly.

The NAG-1 in wife's Grand Cherokee does an good job of this. The 545RFE in my Ram does even better when its in its tow/haul mode.

Luckily for me, every AT I've owned has done this to some extent, with my '97 Legacy being the best. Even my Civic engine-brakes just fine, though it seems to go out of open-loop and re-initiates fuel injection way too early while decel'ing around town.

The reason? I've talked to people at work who seem to think that having to keep your foot on the gas to coast is a negative attribute, which implies that engine-braking is bad. Heck, when I got my first car, a tiny little 10-year-old Toyota, the guy I asked advice of made ONE comment that went something like, "you seem like you'd be driving all over. Does that little car coast good when you let off the gas? If it does, it's a good car."

I really do believe that most people want a car that is as on-off and appliance-like as possible. While I like to drive as efficiently as possible (while still having my enthusiastic moments,) I admit that I'm not enthusiastic as I used to be, and the efficient model is rarely the enthusiastic model (or MT) now adays.

I want to say that I'm a part of the "save the MT" crowd, and I do miss my previous MT's (Ranger, Sunfire, Focus, Civic, WRX, STI) but I like the CVT in the Foz and I've even gotten used to the 5AT in the Civic. After very long hours and very long weeks on the deck plates, I'm glad for the AT. I do miss rowing through my gears, since even the "sporty" Foz feels like an appliance in some regards, but I'm not sure that's where I'm at these days.

To the OP: people are incredibly impatient and rude. I had one guy the other day, who was driving behind me, change lanes with no signal, last minute, after I had my signal on to enter the next lane after two passing cars. I didn't cut him off, because I could see him the entire time, but when I entered the lane he was much closer to me, though he did back off immediately.

He didn't flash his high beams.

He didn't ride my butt for the next two miles before the highway on-ramp or try to aggressively pass me, though there were plenty of opportunities.

He followed me at a close, but relatively safe distance.

When we entered the highway he moved to the next lane over to the left and accelerated a little faster than my leisurely pace; however, I soon caught up to him as the bridge reached the apex, in the right most exit-only lane.

Right when I was about to slowly pass him, doing no more than a few MPH more than him, he AGGRESSIVELY cut me off at less than a few feet away and brake-checked me HARD! There was construction on the bridge, so he skidded and kicked dust, dirt and debris up onto my car. A split second later, he cut hard back over to the left lane and continued on as I exited.

There wasn't a single person or thing in front of him and there was still 500+ feet before the split to the exit. He very obviously brake-checked me, for which the only reason possible could be that I entered a lane that I was signaling to enter, though he intended to enter first, after the two cars had passed, since he would obviously be able to enter before me, even though he did not signal that intent and did not drive aggressively behind me to indicate that he wanted badly to pass. He held on to that perceived slight for 5-6 minutes before taking his revenge and I almost wrecked my car into him.

Seriously, I've accidentally cut people off and knew I was at fault and, even if it was undeserved, expected some response or road rage, even after waving and mouthing my apology. I guarantee you that this sociopath showed no signs of offense, but still made an extremely vengeful move many minutes later.

//

I drove into work later than usual this mornning, at around 0600 this morning, which meant that there was congestion on the one-lane road leading to my company. With several cars behind me before a quick left-right turn I saw in my side-view a bike pull out, four cars behind me, and speed through the on-coming traffic lane and then cut me off and brake hard when he saw an on-coming car. I was so flabbergasted that I hit my horn a full second after he was already in front of me. He had a very unique back-pack on, and I fully intend to have a conversation with him the next chance I get.

People don't making a bit of freaking sense when their pride and possessiveness are involved. One instance disregard for the rules of the road AND actual laws and perceived insult, and another of reckless driving, that could have resulted in his own death and me having to scrape his guts off my hood as he passed me and three other cars IN THE MIDDLE OF A BLIND DOUBLE-CURVE!

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
This has nothing to do with AT but just bad drivers who need to stop tailgating.

I also drove a manual for 5 years, never had this happen. I think the OP needs to give the car more gas before switching gears and to do so quicker. It's called rowing through the gears and should be done quickly.

If people are honking at you because you're slow, guess what? You're going SLOW!!!

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
My old Tracker was bad for that, as I could shift into 2nd in two car lengths and sometimes it was balky getting into 2nd. But really nobody should be tailgating that close.

I have had a couple of people get mad at me in the F350 taking off from stoplights ... with my father riding with me. You can take off in 2nd gear with no gas at all. But he doesn't let anyone do it because he doesn't want to wear the clutch. 5.72:1 1st gear and something like 2.9:1 2nd gear ... takes a while for the transmission to slow down to shift. People don't like that.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My TDI has a DSG automatic that downshifts by itself when you let off the gas pedal, like it REALLY slows down and I hardly ever have to use the brakes. People aren't too thrilled when I'm slowing down for a red light without touching the brakes. Screw em'.

A lot of AT's do something similar to this; people simply don't know how to drive properly.

The NAG-1 in wife's Grand Cherokee does an good job of this. The 545RFE in my Ram does even better when its in its tow/haul mode.

The sport mode on the Escape - seems to be similar to a tow/haul - really slows down. I had it in sport mode in some hills and touched the brake a bit to slow down ... it dropped 3 gears right away and nearly stopped from 55 on its own.

Driving my wife's Legacy turbo 5mt wagon I think annoys folks. I accelerate slowly with them tailgating me and then once the tach hits ~3500RPM-4000RPM the torque/hp curve is not linear and the vehicle launches typically losing them where they speed up until I do this into the next gear.

I have this happen occasionally in the Dakota, and it's not because I'm driving too slow, just not fast enough for the moron behind me.

Heck I once was beeped-at and had the "You're Number 1" salute thrown at me because I had the audacity to turn left to get into the commuter lot *after* signaling that I was going to do so and with enough time that the idiot behind me knew the turn was coming.

I sometimes wonder whether people are taught about following distance anymore. I drive an automatic and am also frequently tailgated. I've been called to the scene of about 1000 accidents and have seen the damage first hand (retired police officer). I've been told that I am a slow driver but I refuse to go faster than my and my cars capability or at speeds that comprimise my ability to dodge potholes.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I see a byproduct of most people driving AT based cars is that when I pull away from a stop light (or 'go' light actually) the person behind me tailgates and when I go to shift into second I almost get rear ended. This has happened three times in the last year. Twice I got a horn blast, just yesterday he swerves to the left and slammed on his brakes.

Just a note of reminder, not everyone can more thru the gears with ease or accelerate rapidly. A short deceleration will always occur when I move into the next gear

Thank you
-T

Key word "almost". While the car behind you has a constant acceleration, your driving pattern includes occasional deceleration.

It is expected for it to be disruptive.

Originally Posted By: frank2009
I sometimes wonder whether people are taught about following distance anymore. I drive an automatic and am also frequently tailgated. I've been called to the scene of about 1000 accidents and have seen the damage first hand (retired police officer). I've been told that I am a slow driver but I refuse to go faster than my and my cars capability or at speeds that comprimise my ability to dodge potholes.

I gave up worrying about potholes a long time ago. I think there's some stat that says that you should drive at the speed of 85% of the drivers out there and I think if people are telling you that you drive slow, then you actually drive slow. The next time you're stuck in traffic, remember you're the cause of traffic! I'd rather replace springs/struts than get rear ended. I think I'm on my 4th set, 3rd and 4th one didn't cost me anything for the parts as they had a lifetime warranty.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
You must remember to keep out of the way of more important people on the highway. They could be texting or talking on the phone and don't have time to look out for you. It's the same with tailgating. You're just in the way and must move out as soon as you can or maybe just pull over and let them pass. This would be especially true of women putting on their makeup. Don't expect them to see you if they're looking in the vanity mirror. And remember, even if there are 3 or 4 empty lanes you might be in their lane. You should know better and anticipate their arrival behind you and react appropriately, that is get out of the way. Once you realize the importance of these people you will better understand the rules of the road.

Even though you are being sarcastic, this is actually the mentality of many drivers today...they feel what they are doing is far more important than anyone else and they must get to their destination in record time...I just can't understand what drives this type of mentality...

I have come to the conclusion that tailgaters don't even know how fast they are going, they just lock on to your bumper.

Here is a fun experiment if you are on the right road. When someone is tailgating you slowly start to increase your speed. After awhile they will freak out. I had one on me when I was doing 40 in a 35. They followed me up to 60 before freaking out and slowing down. Now let them pass. They will do maybe 35 when breaking the wind.

I blame it on poor driver training in this country. People are unable to properly maintain a speed.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Even though you are being sarcastic, this is actually the mentality of many drivers today...they feel what they are doing is far more important than anyone else and they must get to their destination in record time...I just can't understand what drives this type of mentality...

You don't need to understand it, it's just the way it is. I think there's an old saying which says lead, follow or get out of the way. Don't be the slowpoke in the left lane.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359

You don't need to understand it, it's just the way it is. I think there's an old saying which says lead, follow or get out of the way. Don't be the slowpoke in the left lane.
Agree with that last line, but if one is in the right lane and the left lane(s) is/are open, pass or stay off of my...[fill in the blank].

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I have come to the conclusion that tailgaters don't even know how fast they are going, they just lock on to your bumper.

Here is a fun experiment if you are on the right road. When someone is tailgating you slowly start to increase your speed. After awhile they will freak out. I had one on me when I was doing 40 in a 35. They followed me up to 60 before freaking out and slowing down. Now let them pass. They will do maybe 35 when breaking the wind.

I blame it on poor driver training in this country. People are unable to properly maintain a speed.
I blame that and the nanny devices added to cars now. The car has AWD so I can go fast no matter what the conditions are. The car has ABS so that *always* means I can stop. The car has blind spot monitoring so I don't have to pay as much attention. The car has airbags so I won't get hurt in an accident, and besides, that's what insurance is for (if I choose to buy it). And so on.

I don't LLC...much of the tailgating I experience takes place on two lane roads...

I don't LLC...much of the tailgating I experience takes place on two lane roads...

I really wonder why people have to wonder why they're being tailgated. If you're being tailgated, that usually means you're going too slow if there's room in front of you. Although it is pointless if there's traffic in front and there's no room to move. Some speed limits are set artificially low, the recommended speed limit is the speed at which 85% of the drivers drive at. So the other 15% are either going faster or slower. The ones going faster aren't the ones being tailgated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back