Occasionally almost rear ended

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see a byproduct of most people driving AT based cars is that when I pull away from a stop light (or 'go' light actually) the person behind me tailgates and when I go to shift into second I almost get rear ended. This has happened three times in the last year. Twice I got a horn blast, just yesterday he swerves to the left and slammed on his brakes.

Just a note of reminder, not everyone can more thru the gears with ease or accelerate rapidly. A short deceleration will always occur when I move into the next gear

Thank you
-T

Many drivers of AT cars are also unware of engine breaking and stick too close to the car ahead of them. When following an AT car on a long downhill stretch I keep more distance than I normally would, because the driver in front is riding the brakes all the way, and I have no brake light indication when the car suddenly slows down.

I have been considering making a bumper sticker that says something along the lines of 'my acceleration pauses when I shift'.

I have almost been rear ended a few times in the Focus when shifting.

simple..simply put...the people who honked at you are morons. There are many of them out there who have issues with everything everyone else does.

Don'y take their rudeness and stupidity too personally.

Really?!? I drive a stick every day, and I've never noticed that. I do notice that often cars AHEAD of me do a roll as soon as the light turns, stop because the car ahead of him didn't go, and then roll again when traffic actually starts moving. and I have hold off on letting out the clutch until the guy in front of me.

My TDI has a DSG automatic that downshifts by itself when you let off the gas pedal, like it REALLY slows down and I hardly ever have to use the brakes. People aren't too thrilled when I'm slowing down for a red light without touching the brakes. Screw em'.

My old Tracker was bad for that, as I could shift into 2nd in two car lengths and sometimes it was balky getting into 2nd. But really nobody should be tailgating that close.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
My TDI has a DSG automatic that downshifts by itself when you let off the gas pedal, like it REALLY slows down and I hardly ever have to use the brakes. People aren't too thrilled when I'm slowing down for a red light without touching the brakes. Screw em'.

A lot of AT's do something similar to this; people simply don't know how to drive properly. Gas and brake pedals are on-off switches to most people, it seems. Don't take it too seriously, no matter how freaking annoying it is.

Last edited:
In my 2.2 Sonoma 5 speed, I really don't start picking up speed until I get into third so by that point everyone behind me has already switched lanes!

A few years ago I was stopped on a hill and the guy in front of me stalled his car, seeing what happened I waited for him to restart. The guy behind me honked and I'm the one that got the finger from the guy that stalled out!

Probably the OP is just driving too slowly (for the tastes of the tailgater).

I've got 100's of k's of miles in manuals, never had this happen to me.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool

A lot of AT's do something similar to this; people simply don't know how to drive properly.

The NAG-1 in wife's Grand Cherokee does an good job of this. The 545RFE in my Ram does even better when its in its tow/haul mode.

I usually keep a distance of 3-4 car lengths when we have green light, prepare for a slow down when the vehicle on front shift gear. The problem is the car behind me sometimes honk because I have a good distance with the car on front.

Screw them. Rear end me then I will see my lawyer, who will pay ?

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
I see a byproduct of most people driving AT based cars is that when I pull away from a stop light (or 'go' light actually) the person behind me tailgates and when I go to shift into second I almost get rear ended. This has happened three times in the last year. Twice I got a horn blast, just yesterday he swerves to the left and slammed on his brakes.

Just a note of reminder, not everyone can more thru the gears with ease or accelerate rapidly. A short deceleration will always occur when I move into the next gear

Thank you
-T

Probably someone on an 'important' phone call. Don't you know any better than to interrupt a phone call by changing speed?

This is the primary reason I have my trailer hitch mounted. It's main function is "radiator piercer" for tailgaters.

We had a bus rear ended at a light because the driver didn't see it. Bus is ok, car a mess. When the cars go under the rear bumper of the bus, the two tow hooks plow furrows up the hood.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: gathermewool

A lot of AT's do something similar to this; people simply don't know how to drive properly.

The NAG-1 in wife's Grand Cherokee does an good job of this. The 545RFE in my Ram does even better when its in its tow/haul mode.
Is "NAG 1 also the wife? For me NAG 1 is the "WAR DEPARTMENT."

Originally Posted By: AlaskaMike
This is the primary reason I have my trailer hitch mounted. It's main function is "radiator piercer" for tailgaters.

+1 on that, however I have a hitch with a tow hook on it on my 4 banger wrangler. If I get stuck I can pull from it, and if I get rear ended it will go in clean and hopefully rip the front clip off of the offending car.

Its happened to me in the past, but not in the wrangler... weird

I always know when there's a manual in front of me. Just back on the gas pedal a bit. Kinda fun on the bike I can sometimes beat them through the light and beyond. Doesn't surprise me you almost get rear-ended.. people are so self-absorbed in themselves they don't notice anything around them.

You must remember to keep out of the way of more important people on the highway. They could be texting or talking on the phone and don't have time to look out for you. It's the same with tailgating. You're just in the way and must move out as soon as you can or maybe just pull over and let them pass. This would be especially true of women putting on their makeup. Don't expect them to see you if they're looking in the vanity mirror. And remember, even if there are 3 or 4 empty lanes you might be in their lane. You should know better and anticipate their arrival behind you and react appropriately, that is get out of the way. Once you realize the importance of these people you will better understand the rules of the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back