OC Today, Broken K&N - Leak Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truck was running horrible, as in horrible for any vehicle, Looked under it and after 4k miles, the K&N 13$ filter I had purchased months ago was leaking around the seam, checked my dipstick and what do you know, I have a small stream of oil coming down one side bubbling out, GAH! Noticed this 2 days ago, but had to work so alas no OC until today, needless to say the rubber had a chunk missing? It had no defects when I bought the stupid thing ah well! Champ Labs at their best!

So anyway, this is my new fill, gave me a reason to work on the truck this weekend, lol.

OUT:
K&N HP-2009
PEAK Syn 5w-30
Purolator Air Filter
AZ PCV

IN:
Bosch Premium 3422 (IDK Car Parts Stores keep recommending me 3330 or a Puro L10241 when I have always used the oversized Bosch 3422 or the L20195 Puro, in which they used to recommend? Theyre trying to recommend me a smaller filter, but the BITOG in me says NAY!)
QSUD 5w-20
Spectre Air Filter (Loved my last one, last one I was out of town and someone thought it would be nice to take my truck in for an alignment, and the whole "Free Air Filter" Check really, really made me mad that they did)
BWD PCV Valve.

Anyway, it was a fun saturday lol, Picked up the QSUD at walmart for like 19.99, PCV was 6.99 @ Western Auto/True Value in town, Oil Filter was 4.99, Air Filter was 18.99.

Anyway, Ill prolly used K&N Oil Filters again, maybe a weak gasket IDK, I may take pics of the filter and post on here cut open, stinks that I only got 4.2k miles out of it all together, but whatever. PCV was going bad anyway with gunk on it, so the oil did appear pretty dark anyway.

Alas heres a Picture, of all great awesomeness minus the PCV after I installed it I thought about taking a picture...
frown.gif

2v94506.jpg

rrl2cn.jpg

This was the gasket, the chunk missing wasnt on the top, it was the part clipped into the part of the filter maybe when pressing the gasket into the filter in production, it got caught on something?
crazy.gif
I WANNA KNOW IF THE CHUNK IS IN MY ENGINE NOW lol or the filter caught it, so I shall cut it open once i find the dremel.

It is HIGHLY unlikely that any part of that is in your engine.
You'll be just fine.

But it ran horrible? MAybe you did some damage with low oil?

I dont think so, I did the oil change and ran it on the Interstate 2 exits up so a 40mi round trip with no issues

Originally Posted By: Eddie
You should notify K&N of the problem.

If it were me I'd file a claim with Champ/Fram.

It looks more like the gasket split rather than missing a chunk. The gasket also looks deformed as though the filter was overtightened.

To whom it may concern,
In March of this year, I purchased a K&N Oil filter for my 2005 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L 4 CYL truck, a HP-2009. As I inspect the filters prior to placing them on my truck it appeared there was no visible defects on the filter, until 2 nights ago when my truck all of a sudden started bogging real hard, I looked under my truck to see some oil bubbling out of the top of the filter. So I did an oil change, after inspecting the filter, it appears that the gasket had a chunk missing not on the top of the gasket, but on the bottom of it that was clipped into the filter, as if during production, while placing the gasket into the filter it caught something and was damaged. The gasket was pretty much a ticking time bomb as it lasted 4.2k miles on this oil change, and I was hoping to go 7.5k miles on it. Needless to say, I am not asking for any sort of claims etc, just thought you guys would like to know this. It wont stop me from using K&N products in the future, but for now, I will go with the old trusty Bosch or Purolator equivalent part for my vehicle as I am not paying the 13.99 again for your filter if this will occur again, as I lost almost 2.5 qts of oil, and didnt get my full potential out of your filters. The filtration was by far one of the bests I have seen out of any oil filter, as the oil (PEAK Synthetic 5w30) was still a nice amber color coming out of the pan. Thank you for your time, any other questions about this particular instance please feel free to contact me. Enclosed is a picture of the gasket, I still have the filter in question also and the box I bought it in from Advanced Auto Parts.

Cheers,
Joseph William "Gumby" Jarvis Jr.

Is the filter recommended for your application?

If not, I am sure that fact will be brought up somehow.

Never found K&N to be of stellar quality...just heavily overpriced. I have used their stuff- oil and air. Of course, the last time I used their air and oil filters was 5-6 years ago.

Emailed K&N last night got a reply today:

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for contacting K&N about this rather unfortunate instance, I would like to assist you with this issue. Can you please provide some information so that I can contact you?

· Your address and Phone number

· Miles on your 05 ranger

I look forward to assisting you Joseph, thank you again for contacting K&N.

Best Regards,

Troy Green

K&N Engineering

Warranty / R&D Department

Ph: 800-858-3333 X-4161

Fax: 951-826-4003

OFF THE RECORD:
Im glad to have a decent Airfilter again, I can feel it in my truck, nothing has ever been better to me than a Spectre. Kinda odd, lol Ive used Purolator (in my truck, from what Ive heard it doesnt seal right bleh), FRAM (Came with the truck), STP and Drive Works, and nothing has ever been as good as the Spectre.

as for Oil Filters, The K&N has done me good before, so this is a one time thing most likely. Ive used them many times before as a way to "Spoil" my truck, same with Bosch, again "Spoiling"... my Go to filter for any other time is a Purolator.

With the way things are now, Money being tight as hours suck at work, and with Basic Training on the way, I have returned to the world of Quaker State and Bosch, versus Peak Synthetic and K&N/Bosch. Yes it is still 20+ dollars, but thats okay, 20$ plus 4-5$ for a filter is better than the Peak Synthetic for 26.99 and a K&N for 13.99.

Hello Joseph,

Thank you very much - Your case number is CS45683 – I would like to see if you can send the old filter and seal if you still have it so we can have our manufacturer inspect it, I would also like to replace your filter free of charge. If you have your purchase receipt for the filter and oil you had to purchase to change out the defective oil filter please send it to me as well.

Please let me know if you have the old filter and I will send you a UPS tag to pay for shipping, thank you again Joseph I appreciate your prompt reply!

Best Regards,

Troy Green

K&N Engineering

Warranty / R&D Department

Ph: 800-858-3333 X-4161

Fax: 951-826-4003

Sounds like K&N at least has good customer SERVICE.

I'm impressed with their responses so far. The critical item will be how they deal with the results of the inspection because it seems that the filter had a critical failure or defect.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Sounds like K&N at least has good customer SERVICE.

I'm impressed with their responses so far.
The critical item will be how they deal with the results of the inspection because it seems that the filter had a critical failure or defect.

+1

Told him I had the Oil Filter receipt, but totally lost the receipt for the oil that replaced the defective filter, which it doesnt matter to me really, It was the filter, not the oil, so the oil being replaced is no biggie. Very Nice service overall, great handling skills on this matter to put my issue first and at top.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back