May be getting on the AMSOIL bandwagon!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alrighty, NAPA around here sells AMSOIL, anyway, at 7.49 a qt is this a good deal? My truck has 119,666 miles on it now, and it will be at 121,400 at the next OC, AMSOIL has intrigued me since joining here. My Truck calls for 5w-20, Since I have owned it, at 80k miles both me, ford, Goodyear, and mums ind mechanic have all put 10w-30 in it. If I do switch to AMSOIL what would you recommend? 10w-30, 5w-30, 5w-20, or other?

NAPA guy tried selling me a NAPA Extended filter and said "THIS IS THE ONLY FILTER THAT WILL LAST 10k MILES AND NOT BYPASS"

I then went on to say "Buddy, I got numerous Bosch D+'s and K&N's that say other wise"

And then he went on how "Thats all a scam, BOSCH filters are worse than FRAM, or STP, blah blah blah"

Tired of people saying "Only thing GOOD Bosch makes is Windshield Wipers"

anyway, what should I go to for breaking this good stuff in? Should I just jump into SYNTHETICS or start with a blend? Should I flush Dino Out? I was thinking of doing a 2qt QSGB + 2qt QSUD blend prior to switching over to full synthetic.

that or Motorcraft Blend, but I atleast wanna know what % of Syn and what % of Dino I am getting, so I figured Ill mix it myself, sounds good to me.

anyway,I have now learned, according to NAPA Guys, nothing in this world is better than their filter and everything else is just a soda can stuffed with toilet paper/Kleenex/Papertowels

LOL.

What will the high priced Amsoil achieve that your current conventional oil won't? Will you be running it for extended OCI's? Do you have an engine that's especially hard on oil, or turbo charged?

If you have a reason to take advantage of the high price per quart then by all means a product like Amsoil is a worthwhile investment. However, unless you really need it, a regular old conventional oil will save you money up front while doing exactly the same thing. In a 2005 Ford Ranger I sincerely doubt that you'll ever realize any cost savings from it.

But, if you have lots of extra money to burn feel free to knock yourself out.

XL, and its nothing Major, but for an extra dollars, my OCI will jump to 10k miles from 3k, so think of it this way, My OC's usually cost

20$ Oil
6.50$ Filter

26.50 for 3k Mile OCI

With AMSOIL it would be a total of
30$ Oil
10$ Filter

40.00 for a 10k OCI

In that sense, Instead of paying 26-27$ every 3k miles, I will be Paying 40$ roughly for 10k miles.

Saving over the course of time +/- 41$

I will be getting a better oil, better Gas Mileage (Small Amount, I know) and all in all better wear protection.

I do not MIND getting under my truck every 3k miles and Changing the oil, but If this is going to save me money and I get a better product, by all means Ill do it.

Its like a home appliance, spend money now, to save you money by lasting longer versus saving money now to spend more later

Originally Posted By: doyall
Why change now?

That's what I thought. Unless the OP plans on doing extended drains, but at $7.49/qt that doesn't seem like the price for their extended drain oil. Mobil 1 EP, PU, and others will go 10K and can be bought on sale with a good filter for $30-$35, 5 qts and the filter, watch for sales. JMO

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: doyall
Why change now?

That's what I thought. Unless the OP plans on doing extended drains, but at $7.49/qt that doesn't seem like the price for their extended drain oil. Mobil 1 EP, PU, and others will go 10K and can be bought on sale with a good filter for $30-$35, 5 qts and the filter, watch for sales. JMO

+1

If you want to do 10k mile changes go buy one of those $30 synthetic oil change specials all the chain stores run, and use the extra $10 to buy yourself lunch.

Amsoil is a good oil and I have used it, but I only used it when I could get it for the same price as other oils. IMHO its not worth a premium over already good synthetics like PP, M1, Castrol Edge, etc.

Just wondering how much is shipping and the PC fee? Lets just say shipping on a case? Average cost?

Contact me about the PC fee.
grin2.gif

Shipping a full case will be $10 or so.

To answer the OP's question... There's no reason to do any backyard oil mixing PRIOR to using any synthetic oil. If the truck has been maintained with 3k OCIs, it should be pretty clean inside. It shouldn't have oil seal issues and should benefit from a nice synthetic oil.

I also don't think you should jump straight into 10k OCIs (from doing 3k this whole time) without getting the oil tested first at around 7-8k, just to see how things are doing. THEN proceed to follow 10k OCIs if all is well and the oil is holding up fine.
thumbsup2.gif

Amsoil is a great choice for your truck. I wouldn't push it past 7500 miles. I don't know about the Ford 2.3, but some Mazda 2.3 engines consume oil. You will have to check the level of the oil every 1500 miles.

lol....
so after you "pay a fee" to be customer
smirk.gif
, than "pay" to get the oil, than "pay" more for the oil..........it cannot save money in the long run.

I can get AMSOIL gear oils form a buddy that owns a local 4x4 shop, so I use it and he gives it to me for his price and its in stock..... that's where AMSOIL ends for me.

Originally Posted By: wsar10
lol....
so after you "pay a fee" to be customer
smirk.gif
, than "pay" to get the oil, than "pay" more for the oil..........it cannot save money in the long run.

I can get AMSOIL gear oils form a buddy that owns a local 4x4 shop, so I use it and he gives it to me for his price and its in stock..... that's where AMSOIL ends for me.

Who said anything about paying a fee to be a customer? I said contact me. But people pay to be Costco members, never the less.

People "pay" to drive and buy oil. Having it delivered to your shop or porch is pretty easy and the shipping is not excessive.

Paying more for Amsoil? Interesting - some OTC oils are more expensive than Amsoil. If you get it from your buddy, that's cool - I have no problem with that. I was merely pointing out that I could save the OP money, get it delivered and support BITOG.

do you not pay to be a preferred customer ??? I also will not buy mobil1 or any other brand thats price is based on the name. over 7$ a qt for oil are you freaking kidding me........
for 10 bucks in shipping I can drive to WM or any other parts store 10 times..........
theres no reasoning in my world for the hype of AMSOIL, but to each there own I respect the fact of you pushing your product it's a free market place !

Originally Posted By: wsar10
do you not pay to be a preferred customer ??? I also will not buy mobil1 or any other brand thats price is based on the name. over 7$ a qt for oil are you freaking kidding me........
for 10 bucks in shipping I can drive to WM or any other parts store 10 times..........
theres no reasoning in my world for the hype of AMSOIL, but to each there own I respect the fact of you pushing your product it's a free market place !

I wish I could drive to Wally World 10 times for $10...guess I could buy a moped.

I always added in the cost of the PC fee and shipping to the price. I find buying oil and filters when they are part of an OC special is the way to go. If you plan on doing extended drains the Signiture Series Amsoil products are the King of extended drain oils. With the service use my vehicles see extended drains IMO would be a mistake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back