s2000 oil choices 0w30 5w30 10w30 full synth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
its stock
k23turbo. check my other post about running 0w30 on d series with rod knock

i know the 0w30 will benefit during startup i just dont know if it will hold up during more agressive driving
i dont understand alot of the technical details that everyone posted

but i do understand one thing that alot of "oem ftw‘ fans dont
in 17 years there has been alot of improvements in oil
and proven many times that oem is not always the way to go
honda atf, honda chain tensioners etc

i ran zero W in about 4 d series motors
5built b series all motor
j35 at the moment
all with great results
b series high comp was torn down after 10k of every day smashing through gears to and from work and many lean runs while i was learning to street tune
was as clean as when i put it together
but s2k motor is odd
what was the reason for honda going with 10w-30 when b16b and jdm b18c had only 200 and 400rpm lower redline?

and why does everyone keeps sayimg 0w30 is too thin?
its still a 30 at operating temp

Originally Posted By: fuzzysig
and why does everyone keeps sayimg 0w30 is too thin?
its still a 30 at operating temp

Ya, I don't get that. There is no such thing as too thin at startup. Most people I know with S2K run 0W40.

Honda didn't back spec the S2000 like it did their other cars. I'd stick with their current 10W30 recommendation.

The folks on here that autocross their S2000's all seem to run Redline or something similar. I'd make sure I had enough HTHS at op temp. There is no substitute for film strength
laugh.gif

I've had 2 s2ks.
Last one was an HPDE car, and I chose RL 10w40 for the higher HTHS quality. Spent lots of time on the road course, and no signs of abnormal bearing wear and compression was still really good when I sold it.

i ended up buying mobil1 0w30 at walmart
the one that was in the picture
theres so many diferent opinions about it lol im not better off when i started

Yeah i hear ya. When in doubt, trust the data.

I was data logging oil temp vs pressure on the track. Rotella T6 was thinning to much above 220 F. Switched to 15w50 m1 and saw ~5 psi increase across the board.

Then was doing UOAs on the m1. Found it was good for about 70-80 minutes hard run time before it sheared down to about a
The point is that looking at data helped a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back