NYTimes Article on motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I'd like to use some of that "business card air" as a lubricant in my car.
smile.gif

Direct quote from a mechanic I know:

"Air is a $@#$% lubricant"

Quote:

Good Observation, my point exactly. Those who disagree with the NYT are no more un-American then those who disagree with Fox. See? It works both ways.

Yes I see, although my point was not about who was American or un-American, I think we both agree that it would be un-American not to allow more than one point of view. I was simply observing that some people prefer Fox News and some prefer NYT and some watch or read both and try to look at all sides of an issue. It sure is hard to find much objective reporting anywhere, but I think that whether you are a fan of Fox or NYT you are getting biased reporting either way.

I think FOX News is a little less biased than the New York Times. O'Reilly readily invides liberals, even the most extreme liberals, on his show to debate him. And Colmes is a liberal.

Personally myself I always considered myself a liberal until the Democratic Party went so far to the left they left the liberal universe. Some of the current viewpoints there are extreme to the max.

I can look at the material and not just the source of the material and the above article looks reasonably good to me, although it is not in any great depth and there are some minor problems with the article. You see how fair we 'conservatives' can be? We did not even shout down the podium speaker.

Quote:

I
I You see how fair we 'conservatives' can be? We did not even shout down the podium speaker.

Its pretty funny how a discussion on Oil can degenerate into a political debate. I prefer to be politically anonymous on this board (and I think thats a good idea in general unless you're on a politcal forum). Really, nobody here cares about your politics, and thats the way it should be on a forum about oils and lubricants, No?

As for the article, it was reasonably well written and the average person would know more about motor-oil after reading it than before, so thats a good thing. Its obvious the author did a little research and wrote about what he found out, he probably knows less about motor oil than most of you on this forum and maybe he got a few minor facts slightly off but in general , for the mass consumption of the public it was a good, non-politcally biased article.
hornets_nest.gif

1. i can't recall the last time i saw a newspaper do a story on the obscure (to the general public, not the readers of this website) symbols and jargon on a bottle of motor oil. i applaud them for attempting to explain to their readers what this means for them, in plain english. when is the last time some newspaper editor asked a reported to take on this task?

2. all these accusations of bias presumably are directed towards their editorial page with their "biased opinions." how an opinion can be without bias is a conundrum. if the article in question is supposedly also reflecting a left-wing slant, i ask anyone to point it out. they did quote this one industry oil hack who recommended frequent changes. with nobody to counter him by suggesting an extended oil change interval, i guess you could accuse the paper's automotive section of being biased towards the oil companies (the entities most plausible benefitting from frequent to the point of unnecessary oil changes). the next person who accuses the times of being biased towards oil companies will be the first.

3. i guess those who feel this story was so misreported by the times could lobby their favorite paper/tv show/talk radio host to rebut it with their own, free from bias, reporting. i for one look forward to other media outlets jumping on this story to start a war to give the most fair and balanced coverge of motor oil issues. yeah.... as john wayne said in the searchers: That'll be the day.

Sorry to get a little bit politicial. I think the article is good as far as it goes. Since most people drive cars and trucks and vans and SUVs that have gasoline engines I think they should have used gasoline engine API SAE symbols. And it would have been nice if the article had gone into a little bit more depth. But it is unusual to see any information on motor oils in a newspaper. So the NY Times deserves some praise there.

There used to be really good information from time to time in various magazines, newspapers, and publications. One of the best articles on motor oil I ever saw was in a Consumer's Digest Magazine. But today it seems like information about motor oils is rare. I guess they figure most people drive to a Jiffy Lube or some other quick lube place. And maybe they are right.

As someone who actually lives in NYC, I know that there are quite a few people that live here think of a car as a necessary evil/appliance. They don't give a whole lot of thought to maintenance, let alone that there are differences between different oils. The article is pretty just a reminder to people to follow what is in their owners manual regarding oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back