NYTimes Article on motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article is pretty weak, but its the only one I've seen recently in main stream media:

Making Sure the Oil Is Up to the Job
January 21, 2007
Motoring

By KEVIN CAMERON

ONCE a ritual of doting car owners, the weekend oil change has nearly disappeared from suburban driveways, as much a victim of extended change intervals — commonly 10,000 miles or more on new models — as the scheduling conflicts created by scout meetings and soccer practices.

The growth of 10-minute oil change franchises has also made it easy for owners to turn a messy chore over to an efficient operation. While these shops are a great convenience, they have also had another effect: fewer owners are shopping for their own oil and selecting the brand and grade recommended by the owners’ manual.

Using oil that meets the automaker’s requirements has become more important as engines get smaller and work harder. At the same time, higher prices and incentives to use less oil seem to conflict with the desire to change the oil more frequently than the automaker’s suggested interval.

What do motorists need to know about engine oils? Dennis L. Bachelder, a mechanical engineer who works on engine oil certification at the American Petroleum Institute, an industry group, said it was essential to know that easy-to-find information on the oil container related directly to the lubricant’s ability to protect engines from wear, corrosion and deposits. Some consumers still dismiss the matter, he said, thinking that “oil is oil” and then choosing the cheapest product.

The label on the back of a container of oil that has been certified to A.P.I. standards has two circles. The circle with black gear teeth around its perimeter is the A.P.I. certification mark, indicating that the oil meets certain standards.

Next to that symbol are the two concentric circles of the A.P.I. service symbol. In the center circle is the oil’s viscosity grade — a measure of its thickness and ability to flow at low temperatures. In an arc at the top of the outer circle are the words A.P.I. Service, followed by the letters of the A.P.I. service category.

The service category designates which methods of oil testing were used to certify the oil at a specific level of protection. Both the viscosity grade, as measured according to Society of Automotive Engineers procedures, and service category of oil required are found in the owner’s handbook.

Oils lubricate mainly by forming a fluid wedge between moving parts so they cannot touch or damage each other. You can see a lubricant wedge work when you slide a business card across a table. The card glides on a thin layer of air, which serves as a lubricant. Keeping the moving parts separated depends on both the viscosity of the lubricant and on the relative motion of the parts.

Higher viscosity numbers in general indicate an ability to form thicker oil films, but because friction and the amount of heat generated increase with oil viscosity, oil choice has to be a compromise. Modern engines have extremely smooth contact surfaces that let them use thinner, lower-viscosity oils than in the past.

To supplement the normal oil film, additives are included in the oil. An antiwear additive helps when surface-to-surface contact creates hot spots, forming a low-friction protective coating at those spots; if friction rubs this away, additives in the oil form the protective layer again.

Other oil additives called dispersants keep sludge and varnish-forming elements from adhering to parts where they could cause sticking. Instead, surrounded by dispersant molecules, they are swept to the oil filter, where they are trapped. Still others form corrosion-resistant layers that prevent moisture damage on metal surfaces.

These additives are consumed during engine protection and oil gradually becomes loaded with carbon or moisture. That is why frequent oil changes are important, even when using synthetic oils that offer better chemical stability and would otherwise permit the change interval to be extended.

Oil has improved as engines have become smaller and forced to work harder. The original SA Service Category ended in 1930, replaced by the more capable SB, and so on down to today’s extremely capable SM oils. Oil is not just oil.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/21/automobiles/21OIL.html?ref=automobiles

"These additives are consumed during engine protection and oil gradually becomes loaded with carbon or moisture. That is why frequent oil changes are important, even when using synthetic oils that offer better chemical stability and would otherwise permit the change interval to be extended."

I'm not sure what this is implying- that the user should ignore the recommended change intervals and do OCIs more frequently?

What dorks. They write an article for the average car owner neophyte, then show an API symbol for typical truck diesel engine oil.
grin.gif

Good link. Thanks. Who even changes their own oil these days? Tech/gearheads like us on this board?

Over the years, all of my neighborhood autoparts stores have moved out. I guess these gentrified neighborhoods don't have many folks that turn their own wrenches. I have to go to a town about ten miles away that has a large hispanic population to find auto parts these days.

Thank #@$%! for immigrants or I'd be stuck going to a "QuickyLube"!

what can you expect? the n.y. times is one of the far lefty magazines in the country so one would expect lies and scares...take the article with a grain of salt.

What do you expect when you have someone from the API whispering in your ear about the need for 3000 mile oil/filter changes. The API is first and foremost a lobbying organization whose goal is to promote the use of oil and gasoline and not conservation. The idea of extended drain, fuel efficient synthetic lubes is anathema to the API and its' corporate sponsors.

TD

Hey Mike,
Are ya thinkin' that NYTimes piece was some sort of propoganda?

What oil companies are the most liberal (left leaning) in your view? Maybe we ought to boycott 'em?

Cheers.

NY Times has a lean. Get over it, they print a paper their readers like/deserve. Millions will read that and be experts, just like many, many other topics.

I just find it funny lots of folks will be shopping for CI-4 15W-40 for their CIVIC's!
laugh.gif
smirk.gif

Other than a poor choice of picture to illustrate the starburst and donut symbols what exactly in this article has everyone in such a snit? Nowhere does he advocate 3k changes or any time based oci.He mentions "frequent" changes but that can mean different things to different car owners.He gives a basic explanation of how oil works, what happens to it over the life of the oil and says it needs to be changed.Not exactly the kind of information that's going to send the earth spinning off of it's axis. Propaganda? For what? Come on people lighten up a little.

i agree with farrarfan1. i didn't find anything really objectionable in the story. my impression was that they 15w-40 illustration was just that, an illustration, to show what the symbols and nomenclature looked like. i didn't get the drift that the New York Times was recommending that its readers use a HDEO in their own cars.

if i listen faintly, i can hear it now...rush limbaugh ranting and raving about treasonous- east coast-terrorist loving- media elitists recommending a 15w-40 engine oil to the detriment of the engines of all the #@$%!-fearing, hard working, patriotic folk just trying to raise their kids right. here's what they get, a stab in the back of their oil pan and sludge under the valve cover...and it's all the fault of the liberal media.

Quote:

I'd like to use some of that "business card air" as a lubricant in my car.
smile.gif

Is it your assertion that if an object such a business card is placed on a table that a complete vacuum forms under it?

Thanks for the post, somehow I missed that article. I thought it was a fine overview of modern oils, suitable for a mass-market publication like the NYT.

Can't say I saw anything that bad with the article either. In fact I congradulate them on even doing the article. At least it gave some good basic information about engine oil to people that probably knew nothing before reading it. In today's "pay someone else to do the work" society most people don't even know what a API rating is.

Farrarfan1, my post about "propaganda" was poking a little fun at the previous poster who indicated that the NYT article was left-leaning and I find the suggestion that the subject of this article, oil, ergo-oil companies as "left leaning" is pretty darned funny.

I can't imagine the NYT (which is a paper I enjoy) could be any more left leaning than another of my favorite periodicals "The Petroleum News" when it comes to articles on oil changes for your automobile.
I always get a kick out of certain "americans" contempt for the NYT and all it's contents. Personally, I think the article was well-done and helpful for its target audience.
Cheers.

If I had to pick ONE grade to be depicted, it would be 0w-20 just to further confuse. lol, 15w-40 is a good choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back