NYPD: Rookies get Better Guns

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: CT8
I have to buy my own tools boo hoo .

Exactly. I worked in the moldmaker and metal working machining trades for 45 years. And in that time I ponied up thousands of dollars for all of my own tools. I also retired without the benefit of a huge taxpayer funded pension or medical benefit. These coddled cry babies have absolutely NOTHING to whine about. If they want a new gun, shut up and buy it. We do.

Not taking sides, but some people will say they earned their pensions and benefits.

Originally Posted By: raffy
It appears that the NYPD Glock 17's are limited to 15 rounds. The only advantage the 17's now have over the Glock 19 is that the 17's have a longer barrel, which would be a bit more accurate in a firefight. I understand why they had them customized to accept only 15 rounds - it allows interchangeable magazines between all officers who have Glock handguns. Glock 19's will take Glock 17 magazines but current off the shelf Glock 17's cannot take Glock 19 mags (the 19 mags are too short). Standardizing grip lengths between 17's and 19's might come in handy if one officer with a 17 runs out of ammo and needs to "borrow" a magazine from a fellow officer who has a 19. It still doesn't help if the officer next to him has a P226, though.

I think the department might have been better off just standardizing on the Glock 19. It's a lighter, more compact and easier to carry gun with slightly less accuracy than the 17 but probably good enough for most officers. Any officer who needs to shoot accurately at longer ranges should probably be using a MP-5 or AR-15.

Yeah, I don't understand the round restriction at all. The article makes it sound as if the 17 and 19 magazines are interchangeable, which we all know isn't true. Unless somehow they're making the 19 owners only use 17 magazines that are also limited to 15rds, which is silly. Now, a 19 with a long slide would be a fun gun!

I'm sure the first thing purchased is a full 17rd magazine. Then carry the 33rd mag on the hip
smile.gif

The older NY cops just have older Glock 17s...big deal. And all Glock 19s and 17s will accept a 17rd Glock magazine in fact they will accept a 33rd Glock 18 magazine. I guess NY just buys 15rd mags that are "Glock 17" length. These would fit all their Glock pistols.

"SIG 226 a choice also"?...that would be my pick!

If you're ging to use something every day, doesn't it make sense to pony up for something better rather than rely on freebies that aren't as good?

Originally Posted By: Olas
If you're ging to use something every day, doesn't it make sense to pony up for something better rather than rely on freebies that aren't as good?

If an officer is actually using their weapon every day, that is a bigger issue to address

There is some confusion here, so I'll try to clear this up a bit.

The 17 has a longer grip than the 19 and can't accept 19 magazines. NYPD wanted magazines to be interchangeable between both pistols, so Glock made a Model 17 with the shorter 19 grip. Now, every issued Glock magazine will fit every issued Glock pistol.

This isn't a deliberate attempt to restrict capacity, but to make the magazines interchangeable between issued Glock pistols.

The NYPD-only Glock 17 isn't available through the Blue Label program.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh
NYPD vets upset that rookies get better guns
By Shawn Cohen November 28, 2016 | 5:24am | Updated
nypd-glock-10.jpg

The NYPD’s young guns are hitting the streets with new pistols that are more accurate and feature better grips — but veteran cops are angry that, unlike rookies, they’ll have to pony up $525 if they want to upgrade to the better firepower.

“If the Glock 17 can help us shoot better, that increases our safety,” one seasoned Brooklyn cop said. “I personally believe the department should help out in paying for the new gun, or, at least, provide an even swap.

“Not everybody has $525 on hand to make a purchase like that.”

The department introduced the Glock 17, Generation 4, to newbies in the Police Academy in July, and is offering it free to all new classes of recruits.

The gunmaker touts “revolutionary” design advances over other models because it features a longer barrel, textured grip, customizable back strap and a reversible, enlarged magazine catch that makes it easier to swap out the magazine.

“It’s the ergonomics of this gun that makes this a better gun,” said Inspector Raymond Caroli, commander of the NYPD firearms and tactics section.

Recruits, who are issued a service weapon in the academy at no cost, get to pick among the Glock 17 and two other guns that have been offered for years — the subcompact Glock 19 and the Sig Sauer P226. Most are picking the Glock 17, Caroli said.

He added that having more senior cops pay was a policy matter, saying, “If an in-service cop wants that gun, he can go ahead and buy it.”

The rollout comes as the NYPD stresses its community policing program and works to improve police-community relations, which have been damaged by police-involved shootings.

Some cops are criticizing another aspect of the Glock 17 rollout, noting that the department is purposefully limiting the number of bullets they can carry.

The gun, as designed, can hold 17-round magazines — two more than the Glock 19. But the NYPD had the manufacturer customize the Glock 17s to carry only 15 rounds so it would be consistent with the interchangeable Glock 19 magazine.

One cop who recently went to the firing range said the instructor there drew guffaws when he explained the 15-bullet limit.

“Half the class laughed when the instructor said that,” the officer said. “Good ol’ NYPD, they’re restricting us yet again, only handing out the 15 option.”

Another cop said, “Why would you select a firearm that can hold 17 rounds, but then only allow 15 to be carried? It defies common sense. Officers may need those rounds if they find themselves in an active-shooter situation like Dallas or Orlando.”

NY Post
Check the salaries those "senior" cops collect. Perhaps give them a free firearm if they can show "need". Keep in mine that gun shop owners go out of their way to offer discounts to police officers in many localities.
very well compensated.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Originally Posted By: CT8
I have to buy my own tools boo hoo .

Exactly. I worked in the moldmaker and metal working machining trades for 45 years. And in that time I ponied up thousands of dollars for all of my own tools. I also retired without the benefit of a huge taxpayer funded pension or medical benefit. These coddled cry babies have absolutely NOTHING to whine about. If they want a new gun, shut up and buy it. We do.

Not taking sides, but some people will say they earned their pensions and benefits.

The average officer dies 6 years after retiring from the job. They are not living the high life for decades on a million dollar pension.

Originally Posted By: askani79705
Glock,Sig, and S&W offer "Blue" pricing for Police and Military. Glock 17 should sell for about $380.

Sure for the gun itself. Add in the night sights ($50-100), add in the duty holster ($75 to $150), etc. That is why the price seems high. They always include the "accessories".

Originally Posted By: ammolab
"SIG 226 a choice also"?...that would be my pick!

That's a double action only Sig with a extra heavy 12 pound trigger spring. I carried a regular P226 on duty for years, and to be honest, its kind of dated, and most people shoot better scores with a polymer striker fired gun. The Glocks are lighter and easier to maintain.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440

The 17 has a longer grip than the 19 and can't accept 19 magazines. NYPD wanted magazines to be interchangeable between both pistols, so Glock made a Model 17 with the shorter 19 grip. Now, every issued Glock magazine will fit every issued Glock pistol.

Proof? Everything I have read is that these are just regular G17 pistols with reduced capacity 15 rd magazines, so that all officers will be issued the same amount of ammo. Also, you cant just put a G17 slide onto a G19 frame. It wont fit/function, so that would require quite a bit of redesign work on Glocks part.

Dirty Harry got it right ........
6 rounds of .44 magnum is all you need to stop any threat.
But then, he was in San Francisco, and had to shoot up-hill sometimes.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The average officer dies 6 years after retiring from the job.

Why is that?

According to this article, "Possible reasons for shorter life expectancy among police are discussed, including stress, shift work, obesity, and hazardous environmental work exposures." Article says that the average retired police officer dies 22 years earlier than an average adult does.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4734369/

Proof? Everything I have read is that these are just regular G17 pistols with reduced capacity 15 rd magazines, so that all officers will be issued the same amount of ammo. Also, you cant just put a G17 slide onto a G19 frame. It wont fit/function, so that would require quite a bit of redesign work on Glocks part.

This was discussed at Thanksgiving with one of New York's finest. I'll ask for clarification.

The average officer dies 6 years after retiring from the job.
Why is that?

Shift work is a big one, combined with added stress and difficulty maintaining a proper diet while on patrol.

Shift work is a big one, combined with added stress and difficulty maintaining a proper diet while on patrol.

You just described over half of the jobs in this country. I worked 10 and 12 hour, 6 day a week shifts for 45 years. Standing on a concrete floor all the while. Plus I went to night school afterward for the first 5 years. Every job is tough. I ate out of a brown bag for over half of my life. Diet is up to the individual. If all they eat is fast food and junk, and don't exercise on top of it, they'll die young regardless of what they do, or where they do it. I'm not buying it's because they became cops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back