Cops gun down man carrying legally

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
Originally Posted By: ArrestMeRedZ
I don't think that happened.

In the local paper today, it was announced that the estate of the Erik Scott initiated a wrongfull death lawsuit against Costco and the employee that misrepresented the situation in his 911 call.

http://www.lvrj.com/news/erik-scott-s-family-files-wrongful-death-suit-against-costco-158268755.html

They dropped the federal suit against the police. A smaller suit only against Costco at the state level is a comparative low hanging fruit.

Instead of seeking justice, the estate is now just seeking a paycheck.

I don't know that the estate is "just seeking a paycheck". This guy left behind a family, right? Don't they deserve some compensation for the personal loss of their son?
I may not like lawyers, or lawsuits, but this family was injured by the loss of their loved one...since he can't be brought back, the only compensatory mechanism is $$...

It's not that they are seeking compensation for their loss. Our laws allow that and it's up to the courts to decide.

My comment was on *how* the family is going about getting that compensation. The first choice the estate choose to pursue was a case against the police in federal court. Arguably, this was the "correct" option since it was an officer that pulled the trigger. Because it was the first avenue the estate chose, they though it was most appropriate as well.

The estate dropped the federal case after they learned it was unlikely they would win the inevitable appeal.

From there, they chose the much easier option: a state case against Costco. There's less risk of losing an appeal, but the reward will be significantly less. More than likely, a payout is guarenteed since it will never go in front a jury and instead result in a settlement. A nearly guarenteed paycheck.

Quote:
From there, they chose the much easier option: a state case against Costco. There's less risk of losing an appeal, but the reward will be significantly less.

Also a much smaller chance of ending up dead from ticking off a couple of bad cops!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back