Number of round between cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.
I clean mine like I do my oil changes...1x a year.

That doesn't mean I won't make exceptions. If I've shot a lot and need to detail clean it more than running a bore snake down the barrel then I will. I tend to shoot .22 until it quits which depending on ammo...can be more frequent than you expect.

My carry pieces get more frequent cleanings, obviously, but I view them differently than my "normal" guns.

Originally Posted By: billt460
Originally Posted By: Astro14
....But for the Garands in my collection, I clean only the barrel and chamber. I don't field strip them until it's been a year, or 1,000 rounds......

That's really good to know. I always feel guilty after shooting my M1-A's, and not cleaning the gas system after every range session. Because they are somewhat of a PITA to field strip and reassemble. At least compared to an AR-15 platform rifle. Next time I won't. I rarely shoot more than 60 rounds at a session with them anyway.

An M-1A is on my short list, but I don’t have one...yet...

I know that the gas system on the M1 is almost self-cleaning. The rear end of the gas cylinder has a cut machined into it that directs the gas down and out. It coats the inside of the front hand guard with gas pretty well, and the op rod piston gets a bit of carbon build up, but the sides of the op rod piston, and the gas cylinder itself, stay pretty clean, even after a lot of firing. It was meant to operate that way.

I imagine the M14 is similar.

And as I look at the 1lb tub of Mobil 1 that I’ve got for my Garands, I have enough grease for decades. Some guys like the lubriplate 130, because it met mil-spec back in the day, but my understanding is that the original mil spec focused on water washout, high was a big deal for GIs fighting in the rain in Europe or the Pacific, but matters little to me...I’m not taking them out in the rain...

I clean my pistols after every trip to the range. I have two 22s that usually get 100 rounds per trip, a Glock 19 & a Glock 42 the usually get 50 rounds each per trip.
I know it's overkill but that's what I do. Lead fouling on the 22s in my main concern as I don't always shoot plated ammo and the Glocks could go 1,000 rounds w/out needing to be cleaned.
Besides, I like the smell of Hoppes # 9.

Curious, why the difference with .22s? I see a lot of shoot it until it stops type comments.

Ive always found rimfire to be dirtier, justifying cleaning a bit more than others, at least externally.

I'm also curious as to why folks aren't worried about corrrosion if you don't get some light cost of oil inside the barrel - 22 or not.

I can't assume that there's a complete surface coating of lead/copper in there.

I clean my guns after every use. However, way back in the day there was a guy on the gun forums that shot something like 13k through a DSA built FAL with no real cleanings other than hosing out the action with CLP and throwing the gun in puddles. When he finally did try to clean it, the gas piston was trapped inside with carbon and had to be chiseled free.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Curious, why the difference with .22s? I see a lot of shoot it until it stops type comments.

Ive always found rimfire to be dirtier, justifying cleaning a bit more than others, at least externally.

I'm also curious as to why folks aren't worried about corrrosion if you don't get some light cost of oil inside the barrel - 22 or not.

Rimfire bullets just don't impart much effect to the metal, unlike centerfire cartridges. If you use lubed/waxed match rounds then they have even less effect.

But they do tend to leave unburned powder behind..which always seems to find its way into the action/trigger mechanism.

IME, it's mostly carbon or built up bullet lube that gets into the bores -- both rifle and pistol.

The last time I shot my SIG 22LR conversion slide, I was able to clean the barrel out with a single pass of a .22 bore snake. It's like there wasn't anything to "scrub". It all just wiped away and left behind the mirror-like stainless finish.

With .22's cleaning the action is much more important than cleaning the barrel. A lot of Olympic shooters, (both rifle and pistol), almost never clean their barrels. It isn't necessary, and they don't want to risk damaging them. And it's a well known fact more barrels are damaged by cleaning than shooting.

And it's a well known fact more barrels are damaged by cleaning than shooting.

"Well known" and "fact" means that you can link us up to the data ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
"Well known" and "fact" means that you can link us up to the data ?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=how+barrels+are+damaged+by+cleaning

No, that's "how are barrels damaged by cleaning"...everyone knows the mechanisms.

Your statement was that "more are damaged by cleaning than by shooting"...I simply asked for a link to the facts that demonstrate the fact that you were claiming as "common knowledge".

Billt460 bait and switch...to a T...

You can go back to addressing your statement of fact if you wish.

Can you link us up to the quantification of your statement of fact ?

Can use google for sure...just want you to provide evidence of your statement.

You CAN do that can't you ?

not "look over there, a bunny" ???

Originally Posted By: Shannow
...just want you to provide evidence of your statement.

Why? You're acting like I should actually care what you do or don't believe. I don't.

traditional .22 has a wax coating, and certainly doesn't usually lead the barrel.

Remove the build-up from the barrel, and the rifle may take quite a few rounds (more than the foulers and sighters) to get back happening the way that you want it. to reach an equilibrium.

Change the ammo, and it will take a few shots to move to a new equilibrium.

Many squad shooters of small bore recommend not cleaning the barrels..the wax is the same, the level of buildup is the same as last time you shot it (give or take a temperature element)....and you are using it every couple of days max.

I agree with the wax equilibrium part, that priming is now very well non corrosive, and that a every week or so, nothing is going on. My experience is that the powder residue gets damp over a couple of weeks when pushing a loose dry patch through the bore after a couple weeks...the residue feels damp. Haven't had it tested quantatively.

If it's going into the safe, I run a dry patch through it.

I treat the bolt and receiver differently.

Understood. It's a bullet vs propellant issue. Propellant is dirty but coated bullets do very little.

Per a thread of mine from a few weeks ago, I am sensitive even with soft brass accessories to possibly damaging the barrel, inadvertently and even with the greatest of care taken. Not wearing down rifling, but affecting it somehow at the breach or muzzle.

Still curious in that it seems prudent to me to get some oil down there regardless of cleaning, after use (unless stainless I guess).

Typically, I clean after shooting, no matter how few the rounds.

Exceptions: I don't recall ever cleaning my AK-47, and I'm pretty sure I've never cleaned my G20.

Originally Posted By: Win
Typically, I clean after shooting, no matter how few the rounds.

Exceptions: I don't recall ever cleaning my AK-47, and I'm pretty sure I've never cleaned my G20.

I clean my AK barrels. I just don't spend as much time on them. A couple of solvent soaked wet patches. Followed by a couple of dry one's. Then a nice oil soaked patch back and forth a few times.

I clean after every range trip, whether I fire 50 rounds or 500. Sometimes if a specific firearm had a low count I'll do a less than thorough job on the less dirty parts but the barrels of my semi high auto handguns get cleaned thoroughly after every range trip.

Understood. It's a bullet vs propellant issue. Propellant is dirty but coated bullets do very little.

Per a thread of mine from a few weeks ago, I am sensitive even with soft brass accessories to possibly damaging the barrel, inadvertently and even with the greatest of care taken. Not wearing down rifling, but affecting it somehow at the breach or muzzle.

Still curious in that it seems prudent to me to get some oil down there regardless of cleaning, after use (unless stainless I guess).

Depends I think...

how infrequently will you use the .22, and what you need it for.

After oiling, my Krico takes about 4-5 shots to settle down the POI...not good for head shooting that rabbit. wasn't until I started target shooting that rifle that I realised that was likely why my shooting "got better" out in the field.

One of the guys at the range (RIP) used to go O/S for big game shooting. He'd take his rifles to the range, and foul them before packing them for the trip. Was his routine, and even if it was only giving him additional confidence, worked for him.

It sure depends on many things...
Is it a hunting gun, competition gun, 'practice' gun?

I clean my hunting rifle after every time I take it out for a/any shoot, even if one round was fired. No firing the gun - inspect and back in safe.
Comp gun - honestly? just before next competition... often same morning...
'Practice' gun - may be every 500-1500 rounds shot; dry fire practice doesn't count.

If you haven't ever worn out a barrel so you had to replace it - you don't shoot much, in my book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back