NTM 944 turbo oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by BeerCan
No oil leaks I can see. In the last 10k miles the car has had, a new turbo, the head completely rebuilt, new timing belts rollers and waterpump (7 years ago though), a bunch of new seals, new clutch, cleaned intake and other items. PO gave me over 20k in receipts from the work he had done. Timing belt was inspected by a Porsche shop last month and given a thumbs up, even though it is older it still has less than 10k on it. They replace alternator and upgraded to H4 headlights at that time (whatever those are :p )

haha, as I was afraid the suggestions are all over the map
smile.gif

Ya, However the more information you provide the more specific we can be. In any case it sounds like an A40 oil will work for you from the perspective of potential oil leaks. Personally with you living in FLA I would use an A40 5w40 or heavier and call it a day OR just stick with your current choice.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by BeerCan
No oil leaks I can see. In the last 10k miles the car has had, a new turbo, the head completely rebuilt, new timing belts rollers and waterpump (7 years ago though), a bunch of new seals, new clutch, cleaned intake and other items. PO gave me over 20k in receipts from the work he had done. Timing belt was inspected by a Porsche shop last month and given a thumbs up, even though it is older it still has less than 10k on it. They replace alternator and upgraded to H4 headlights at that time (whatever those are :p )

haha, as I was afraid the suggestions are all over the map
smile.gif

Ya, However the more information you provide the more specific we can be. In any case it sounds like an A40 oil will work for you from the perspective of potential oil leaks. Personally with you living in FLA I would use an A40 5w40 or heavier and call it a day OR just stick with your current choice.

Why do something like a 5W-40 when he's in FL? My tendency would be to use a good 20W-50 in that engine, especially because he's going to auto-x and will likely change often.

Wait, is it air or water cooled?

Originally Posted by john_pifer

Why do something like a 5W-40 when he's in FL? My tendency would be to use a good 20W-50 in that engine, especially because he's going to auto-x and will likely change often.

They're water cooled. I did mention he could stick with his current choice which IIRC is a 50w.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by john_pifer

They're water cooled. I did mention he could stick with his current choice which IIRC is a 50w.

OK. Well, being water-cooled, that would make me rest easier with a 40W.

If one doesn't have even the most basic knowledge about something they should refrain from making technical recommendations for it.

Also, the winter rating is probably the most irrelevant aspect of this discussion. It is about approvals and ratings instead.

Originally Posted by Linctex
Did the Porsche A40 Spec EVEN EXIST 30 YEARS AGO?????

I wouldn't run 0W-40 if the experienced guys say to stay with the thicker oil.

A 40 grade would be fine nothing wrong with using a thick 30 or even a 50. This engine is very tolerate.

10W30 was the original year round spec oil for this car. So a 5w40 will work fine as its a little higher viscosity. Its why I put in 15w40 for many when I worked on these cars way back when.

15w50 Napa or M1 will also work fine in the summer as well. But the 5w40 should work year round well.

We have used Valvoline VR1 20w50 and Redline 10w40 over the years in the Porsche 944's that we race. Both oils do well on a 10-12 hour OCI when racing. #2 rod bearing is the weak link in these engines, you should be checking that every 60-80- hours if you are tracking/racing the car. We replace rod bearings every season. There are oil pan baffle kits available that may help with the oil starvation/pickup issues. Also check and replace the timing belt religiously...It is an interference engine...While doing the tuning belt it's wise also to put a water pump on if it has not been replaced yet. They are great engines but they do require upkeep...because if you don't it gets hugely expensive very quickly !

Thank you

I see in my receipts that an oil pan baffle was installed when the top end was rebuilt about 10k miles ago. No mention of the rod bearing being checked, so I will put that on the list of items to check periodically.

I think for now I am going to use the stock of Castrol 0w40 . I will keep an eye on pressures especially when at my autocross events.

Well at least one Porsche indy believes 40 weight oil is good enough. Just found out that the current fill is Total Quartz 9000 Energy 5w40.

Oil pressure gauge is showing good pressure after long hard runs, so I am even more comfortable when I do my change to the Castrol

A friend of mine in high school had an 86 944. GTX or PYB 20W50. It's cheap,great oil,and can be found everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back