NPN vs Full vs Full Premium filters cut open

Hi guys,

I was doing some research as I wanted to switch up filters for my oil changes at the shop. I ordered an NPN filter (Worldpac house brand), Full filter, and a new Full Premium filter they just released. These are for Hondas, part number 15400-PLM-A01.

Let's take a look!

Here's the packaging. The NPN filter is on the left, then the Full, and on the right is the new Full Premium. All of the pictures will have the filters in that order:

HbY1ufZ.jpg

Here they are out of the box:

niLcNBe.jpg

Here are the bottom views. You can see the Full Premium has a nicely designed baseplate, allowing for extra flow:

CaS7Neu.jpg

Here they are cut open, with all the components laid out. Notice the Full Premium has a silicone anti-drainback valve. All use metal caps and coil spring reliefs. All had thick base plates and good sized can thicknesses. The NPN has the largest filter unit, though it's a bit overstated as it is not resting flat on the table due to it's design. The Full premium has the next largest, and the regular Full had the smallest:

AoVQZ2P.jpg

Here is a view of the tightest pleats on the filters:

CGtfaYy.jpg

And a view of the widest pleats. The Full Premium has even pleats all the way around, along with a lot more media/pleats for extra filtration surface area. Overall the other two aren't bad. I've seen worse:

DMXf7o3.jpg

Here's a view inside the cores. The NPN has a straight core while the others use a spiral core:

PqGTvQe.jpg

I also got some Toyota, Nissan,and Mazda filters, but only in NPN and Full, as the Full Premiums aren't available for those applications yet. Haven't cut them open yet. But it's interesting to note the NPN uses silicone anti-drainback valves on the Toyota and Nissan filters, but not the Mazda or Honda ones.

I'll see what they look like after use when cars start returning for oil changes.

Hope this helps

Christian

I forgot I had a used Full in the filter bin already. Here's a regular Full, toyota part number 90915-YZZF2, after about 5k on Castrol GTX

The filter section is not bent. The [censored] camera phone made it turn out like that. It was perfectly symmetrical.

jwrs7dW.jpg

tB98kVo.jpg

The media was intact, though it did have a funky pleat from the factory. Nitrile ADBV was still pliable.

Nice pictures and write up, thanks! That Full Premium almost looks like it's synthetic.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

They all look like all have pretty decent construction. Guess I'd chose the one that has the best beta ratio if they were known for each filter. Otherwise, I'd choose the one with the silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: Racefiend
The filter section is not bent. The [censored] camera phone made it turn out like that. It was perfectly symmetrical.

Leaning tower of filter media.

Nice pics! You note the F+ having extra flow because of the inlet hole design. I'm dubious that is really a significant point one way or the other as far as filter flow goes. My understanding, as long as total area of the inlet holes is at least equal to the outlet, then that's all that is required. Beyond that, not really any significant increase in flow.

As far as installation goes though, I prefer the NPN and standard Full base plate. Their thread boss design is more user friendly, especially so in blind or less than optimal viewing installations. While I'll admit to it being a nitpick, the F+ thread boss requires more exacting alignment with engine block to install.

All look well made, any efficiency specs? All use coil retainer spring and cello wrapped. Just curious of the country of origin of these filters? Can't really see the dome bypass on the NPN, but sure it must be there.

Thanks for the pics.

Addendum, too late to edit. Referred to Full Premium as F+, no reason other than a brain cramp.
smile.gif

Interesting that all label their filter as A01. Unlike those shown, the Honda Oem Filtech A01 is a no endcap type filter.

Nice job. Like with motor oil it is easy to waste money buying high margin supplies for an oil change. For 5K OCI the demands put on the filter is not that high.

Thank you for taking the time to cut them and post pictures. Honestly I like the looks of all of these filters.

Are these something that you are able to get with a bulk parts discount through your shop? Would I be able to order some of these for my own private fleet?

I use those Full brand on my 97' Odyssey and 13' CRV. They work fine. I noticed on Full brand they are heavier than the original Honda filter. Never tried the NPN brand oil filter but I use NPN brand for cabin filter with charcoal type.

Back