Notifications (actually technically "Alerts" I guess)

I am not so impressed with the notifications system, this 'feature' is more about giving positive feedback Likes for something nobody really should seek.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm speaking of. I mean the little bell that turns red to let you know there are new replies to your watched threads.

I think you may be talking about the "LIKES" which a certain member uses willy nilly and clicks on almost everything - if so - I agree with you on that.

I'm not sure you understand what I'm speaking of. I mean the little bell that turns red to let you know there are new replies to your watched threads.

I think you may be talking about the "LIKES" which a certain member uses willy nilly and clicks on almost everything - if so - I agree with you on that.
I get the red bell for the likes, when my posts are quoted, and when I get a reply to my post or threads. I don't have any experience with watched threads....I guess I must have ADHD issues? :ROFLMAO:

I get the red bell for the likes, when my posts are quoted, and when I get a reply to my post or threads. I don't have any experience with watched threads....I guess I must have ADHD issues? :ROFLMAO:

Well, in that case I disagree with you. I think it is helpful, I do think you can change when you get the alerts, which reminds me I should look at that.

I get alerts on every thread I participate in and all new threads in forums I watch. Can you check your settings to make sure you've asked for alerts?

I get alerts on every thread I participate in and all new threads in forums I watch. Can you check your settings to make sure you've asked for alerts?
Yep, they are all checked.

To be clear, I get some but not others it seems...

One annoying thing the alerts do is to clear the bell after you've clicked on it. You may have 5 alerts, but after you click the bell, you no longer get a reminder.

One annoying thing the alerts do is to clear the bell after you've clicked on it. You may have 5 alerts, but after you click the bell, you no longer get a reminder.

You're right that is (moderately) annoying. It seems to be working presently, it was acting weird earlier.

I'll watch it tomorrow and see if i'm able to discern any sort of pattern (assuming it does it again)...

When all else fails, you can clear all cookies for this site and see it that makes things work better.

So here's an example.

Note the the reply time on the thread "Any Members With Classic/Muscle Cars?"

last notification I got on that one was yesterday at 7:48PM

ScreenShot_1.png

ScreenShot_2.png

I think that's how notifications work with most sites (for example, Facebook). Think about it though - say you have 5 updates/notifications but you're only interested in following up through 1, 2, or 3 of them, so you click that notification, go to that link, and the number reduces by 1. Repeat that for others and it drops again. What if you never check ALL of them ? I don't want that notification number to remain (forever).

I think that's how notifications work with most sites (for example, Facebook). Think about it though - say you have 5 updates/notifications but you're only interested in following up through 1, 2, or 3 of them, so you click that notification, go to that link, and the number reduces by 1. Repeat that for others and it drops again. What if you never check ALL of them ? I don't want that notification number to remain (forever).

The one that I visit that keeps them (PHB-BB) allows you to manually clear all even without clicking on them.

Some thing is definitely wonky with it for me i'm getting about 75% i would say...

Guess i'll dump the cookies and cache and see if that changes it.

Isn't this just interesting I can't open a new thread no matter what I put in the tittle it tells me its already being used on another Post. BS
TRIJICON MRO.jpg

Last edited:
Isn't this just interesting I can't open a new thread no matter what I put in the tittle it tells me its already being used on another Post. BS
Johnny,

The reason your thread title was rejected is because of the special character "|" It's a pipe, which has very significant meaning to a Linux/UNIX systems and isn't allowed to be in thread titles.

Johnny,

The reason your thread title was rejected is because of the special character "|" It's a pipe, which has very significant meaning to a Linux/UNIX systems and isn't allowed to be in thread titles.

That is my cursor I still can enter any new thread.
MRO.jpg

Last edited:
Back